Burning a Hole in my Pockets
Dec 3, 2010 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

legodt

100+ Head-Fier
I have two hundred dollars to drop for upgrading my portable setup, and I am at a loss for choices. The current system is a pair of HD25-1 IIs plugged directly into an iPod for some chiptune, breakcore, soundtrack, and indie rock listening on the go. Would switching to a Cowon player have a significant increase in sound quality, or should I keep my money for a better cause? Also, if I raised the stakes to 250 dollars, is there a possibly superior set or IEM to the HD25s? Thanks!

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 13
Maybe a portable amp?
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe a portable amp?
tongue.gif

I heard those were a sham, is this a true statement?

I don't think so. Especially if you are looking at the portable aspect. However, if you are trying to setup a full-size setup and you decide to buy a portable amp... then... well, yes, it is a bit of a sham.
tongue.gif

The reason why I suggested a portable amp is because I don't think there is another portable headphone that delivers the quality of the HD25-II. Maybe there is another IEM, and there is definitely room of improvement up to the custom IEMs, but I don't think there is a better earphone/headphone within the range of the $200 - $250.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 13
I agree source over amp, however... I was assuming that you are using a relatively new iPod (or a Rockbox'd one). In that case, I don't think there will be a major difference between it and a Cowon player.
tongue.gif

If you are using an iPod older than the 4th generation, then an update is probably a good idea. If not, then you upgrade your source by making sure you are listening to good bitrates.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 13

Agreed, bitrates of at least 256kbs mp3 or better. I use Media monkey and rip everything to FLAC mostly, WAV isn't bad either.
Quote:
I agree source over amp, however... I was assuming that you are using a relatively new iPod (or a Rockbox'd one). In that case, I don't think there will be a major difference between it and a Cowon player.
tongue.gif

If you are using an iPod older than the 4th generation, then an update is probably a good idea. If not, then you upgrade your source by making sure you are listening to good bitrates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back