Bug head emperor player - audiophile player from Japan
Apr 8, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #32 of 60
to all the folks commenting about the "sound improvements"  "it is oranic" "it is an EQ" and so on..... I implore you to learn a bit about how digital audio works. Nika Aldrich's excellent book http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-Explained-For-Engineer/dp/141960001X  is a wonderful introduction/primer. 

Also Ethan Winer's  http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Expert-Everything-Need-About/dp/0240821009/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460108791&sr=1-1&keywords=audio+expert

Once you have gotten a firm grasp of the basics, you should then revisit this thread and examine the claims that have been made.  They simply do not hold water... I would even go so far as to say they are nearly satire-like in their outlandishness.   

Look at everything critically.  Intellectual Rigor. FACTS. Objectivity.    Refusing to rely on our ( woefully inadequate and fickle, handicapped by myriad bias/stimuli every second of existence) ear-brain systems , well that benefits every one. 

May 18, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #33 of 60
Hello,
I tried to test the software with iBAsso DX 90 DAC but I have no choice for Audio Device:

JRiver 21 is running correctly with WASAPI

I'm a little lost - my Japan is very bad :)

May 20, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #34 of 60
Loser here! I've been trying to install this program. Got the latest version from the developer's website but when I try to launch bughead.exe I get an error message: "bass.dll error - Don't load bass.dll"

Anyone can help please?

Thanks

May 25, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #35 of 60
At first I was very put off by this player.  Counter-intuitive and ugly UI, the broken english and weird terms, and the sound itself sounded very heavily processed to me, not at all natural.  I went to HQPlayer and forgot about it.

Then I got curious about Bughead again and started fiddling with the settings and am astounded at how great it is.  It's so important to find the right settings that sound best to you, otherwise it's really off putting, IMO.

Properly tweaked, it even blows HQPlayer out of the water, at least in my setup.  I am even struck by the fact that a piece of software can have such a massive influence over sound quality (that includes upgrading to WIndows 10 and running Bughead and music files from RAMDisk [Softperfect RAMDISK] rather than my hard drive).  It's almost as if I have a completely different (and better) DAC.  It makes me wonder what I'm actually hearing most, the software or the DAC's interpretation of the software's output. 

May 25, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #36 of 60
Hear, hear! I just got introduced to this little wonder,  and I'm perplexed of the plethora of options. But even without any tweaking, by using the default settings, this player sounds phenomenal. I know it's worth the time to dig deeper into the manual! :)

May 26, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #37 of 60

Hear, hear! I just got introduced to this little wonder,  and I'm perplexed of the plethora of options. But even without any tweaking, by using the default settings, this player sounds phenomenal. I know it's worth the time to dig deeper into the manual! :)

These settings seem to work best for me (could be a good starting point for you):

Under 'Select Option 1'

1, 2 and 3 should be RED.  6 and 7 should be RED (Setup DIMM should be 1: 2GB / 2: 2GB... this is with 8 GIGs of RAM which I have, if you have more, you can increase it)  Be sure it tick "enable this mode" in the box.

Under Select mode 2

1 should be RED

Disable stardust mode - you can enable it if you want, it does make the sound more "sparkly" but I personally find it sounds too processed and not very natural.

When the main player screen starts, Over to the right and down a little, you will see a small box labeled 'mmx+', click it and scroll down to 'Tuning rewrite avx', select 'Tune amx plus'. Click the small box above that one... My favorite right now is 'Slash'.. Click it.

That should get you started on some really good sound, and you can tweak with the different settings if you want from there.  Personally I feel there are way too many options, so I am sticking with this for a while.

May 27, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #38 of 60
These settings seem to work best for me (could be a good starting point for you):

Under 'Select Option 1'

1, 2 and 3 should be RED.  6 and 7 should be RED (Setup DIMM should be 1: 2GB / 2: 2GB... this is with 8 GIGs of RAM which I have, if you have more, you can increase it)  Be sure it tick "enable this mode" in the box.

Under Select mode 2

1 should be RED

Disable stardust mode - you can enable it if you want, it does make the sound more "sparkly" but I personally find it sounds too processed and not very natural.

When the main player screen starts, Over to the right and down a little, you will see a small box labeled 'mmx+', click it and scroll down to 'Tuning rewrite avx', select 'Tune amx plus'. Click the small box above that one... My favorite right now is 'Slash'.. Click it.

That should get you started on some really good sound, and you can tweak with the different settings if you want from there.  Personally I feel there are way too many options, so I am sticking with this for a while.

thanks, I gave it a try, awesome!! I'm enamored of this little player!! However, I have a question: When I launch the program and start to play a, lt's say, redbook (16bit, 44.1kHz) file and right after I open a different one (like a 24 bit 96kHz) the player won't play it back for me. Any idea? I have to close and re-launch the player in order to play back an audio file of different resolution. :frowning2:

May 27, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #40 of 60
Bughead doesnt let you load songs of differing resolutions in one session. It has to all be the same format per session/playlist

Thank you! And just to clarify it, the seeking bar cannot be used to move to certain points within the track with your cursor, right?

May 31, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #42 of 60
Hi Guys

If you are interested in a very active BH thread, check the Jplay forum:
http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/1553-infinity-blade-hq-bug-head-emperor-worth-trying/page-164

164 pages / 3268 replies / 265K views   :)

This player is amazing and keeps getting better. Oh yeah, it has it's quirks, but the SQ is so worth. No other player comes close.

May 31, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #43 of 60
  Hi Guys

If you are interested in a very active BH thread, check the Jplay forum:
http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/1553-infinity-blade-hq-bug-head-emperor-worth-trying/page-164

164 pages / 3268 replies / 265K views   :)

This player is amazing and keeps getting better. Oh yeah, it has it's quirks, but the SQ is so worth. No other player comes close.

Bughead for president! Best player I've ever encountered. I remember you from Jplay forum...what is your current settings for Bughead? Or you have been using Infinity Blade?

May 31, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #44 of 60

Bughead for president! Best player I've ever encountered. I remember you from Jplay forum...what is your current settings for Bughead? Or you have been using Infinity Blade?

Nice to be remembered. I'm running Infinity Blade. The current BH program is 7.12 SP5. You can get it here:
http://oryaaaaa.world.coocan.jp/bughead/
I'm running 7.12 SP3 which I prefer. If you PM me, I can send it to you.
To get the most out of it you need at least an i5 quad core processor and 8 - 16 gb of ram(best is 16gb dual sided).

Hiroyuki continues to improve it. He is amazing....some kind of obsessed, eccentric genius/wizard. This player is his great obsession.

May 31, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #45 of 60
  Nice to be remembered. I'm running Infinity Blade. The current BH program is 7.12 SP5. You can get it here:
http://oryaaaaa.world.coocan.jp/bughead/
I'm running 7.12 SP3 which I prefer. If you PM me, I can send it to you.
To get the most out of it you need at least an i5 quad core processor and 8 - 16 gb of ram(best is 16gb dual sided).

Hiroyuki continues to improve it. He is amazing....some kind of obsessed, eccentric genius/wizard. This player is his great obsession.

Absolutely agreed! I only wish we had a detailed description of the plethora of settings he managed to squeeze into his player in proper english...have you managed to go through all the settings and find out what they do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back