Buckethead's solo in Jordan is the best solo ever recorded.
Aug 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Prove me wrong, folks. I know some will argue that so and so solo is so utterly raw and emotional etc etc and frankly I don't care. That in Jordan is the absolute most visceral, intense, white-knuckled solo ever. I dare anyone to challenge me- youtube clip or download required.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 113
Do you even play guitar? How can you definitively say "THIS is the best solo ever."? Nobody can ever say that. How much emotion is in the song, how unique is it, how rehearsed was it, did he have to put a gimmick on his head to get famous, etc. I hate it when people hear a shred your face solo and cream their pants over it. There's more to guitar - more to music - than that.

It may be a good solo, yes, but best solo ever? Hardly. He's just another metal guitar player. He deserves respect for being a good player and all, I mean. But really, calm down up there on your high horse "I dare anyone to challenge me"

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by SungTong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. How much emotion is in the song, how unique is it, how rehearsed was it, did he have to put a gimmick on his head to get famous, etc.

It may be a good solo, yes, but best solo ever? Hardly. He's just another metal guitar player.

frown.gif
Challenge still stands. You were able to ***** about Buckethead, but can you post a better solo?

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 113
A better solo? No, because I don't really know how to define the grounds for a "better" solo. I can post a guitarist I think is highly talented, yet "better than buckethead" is hardly even debatable because they're in different genres and different generations. This piece is pretty great in my eyes, YouTube - Steve Howe - Mood for a Day

And Zappa hands down had the best attitude about music out of any artist I've listened to. He was one of the most talented guitarists of his day but did not receive much recognition due to his avant garde style that challenged society's views and stances on prominent issues. Arguably one of the best live performers... Most, if not all, of his solos on stage were improv (as most guitarists' are). He used to just put his cigarette on the end of his guitar and when it finally burnt out he'd stop soloing. Amazing player. YouTube - Frank Zappa - Solo fromTorture Never Stop - 1988

Plus, the fact that jordan's solo was recorded in a studio and most likely rehearsed kind of take the glory from it.

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 113
Quote:

A better solo? No, because I don't really know how to define the grounds for a "better" solo. I can post a guitarist I think is highly talented, yet "better than buckethead" is hardly even debatable because they're in different genres and different generations. This piece is pretty great in my eyes, YouTube - Steve Howe - Mood for a Day

And Zappa hands down had the best attitude about music out of any artist I've listened to. He was one of the most talented guitarists of his day but did not receive much recognition due to his avant garde style that challenged society's views and stances on prominent issues. Arguably one of the best live performers... Most, if not all, of his solos on stage were improv (as most guitarists' are). He used to just put his cigarette on the end of his guitar and when it finally burnt out he'd stop soloing. Amazing player. YouTube - Frank Zappa - Solo fromTorture Never Stop - 1988

Plus, the fact that jordan's solo was recorded in a studio and most likely rehearsed kind of take the glory from it.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

There is no such thing as "best ever" in music. I could post a dozen solos that I think are better, but what does that prove? Nothing, except that I've found solos that are better, for me.

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 113
What the others said.

He is fast, the solo is cool, but I fail to hear what's so special about it, but who cares as long as it moves YOU. No such thing as "best" though, and it is definetely not measured by how fast someone is. I must be getting old...
icon10.gif

Anyway, here is a quite awesome performance...

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know some will argue that so and so solo is so utterly raw and emotional etc etc and frankly I don't care. That in Jordan is the absolute most visceral, intense, white-knuckled solo ever.

Agree Quote:

There's more to guitar - more to music - than that.

Disagree Quote:

And Zappa hands down had the best attitude about music out of any artist I've listened to. He was one of the most talented guitarists of his day but did not receive much recognition due to his avant garde style that challenged society's views and stances on prominent issues. Arguably one of the best live performers... Most, if not all, of his solos on stage were improv (as most guitarists' are). He used to just put his cigarette on the end of his guitar and when it finally burnt out he'd stop soloing. Amazing player.

Agree Quote:

Disagree Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no such thing as "best ever" in music. I could post a dozen solos that I think are better, but what does that prove? Nothing, except that I've found solos that are better, for me.

Agree

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 113
Aug 8, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solo? Try a duo.

YouTube - Rodrigo y Gabriela

Big fan of Rodrigo y Gabriela here too. I first heard (of) them at a concert a few years ago. They were the support group and I was pleasantly surprised to say the least - I don't think I've ever been bowled over by a support act quite like I was with them. I think they're the only group I've ever seen twice live.

Do agree with many of the previous posters though as there's really no way to determine the best anything when it comes to music. Buckethead does have some great chops though.

To throw another great solo into the thread, good ol' Maggot Brain.
smily_headphones1.gif

YouTube - Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 113
John Butler Trio - Ocean. That's my all-time favourite, especially live. However, the most utterly surreal guitar I've heard was from Jimmy Hendrix who could go to amazing places with his playing. It's interesting seeing, say, Rolling Stone's top guitarists of all time and similar lists and comparing them to one's favourites, as there's a lot of amazing stuff out there.

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 113
Probably not the best, but my favorites:
stairway to heaven: led zeppelin
time: pink floyd
money: pink floyd
lateralus: tool

EDIT: Oh, by the way OP, don't act like you wrote the solo, challenge me. Just because you discovered a piece of music, you're better than everyone else on head-fi?

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prove me wrong, folks. I know some will argue that so and so solo is so utterly raw and emotional etc etc and frankly I don't care. That in Jordan is the absolute most visceral, intense, white-knuckled solo ever. I dare anyone to challenge me- youtube clip or download required.

I guess it really doesn't matter if there's a better solo out there or not, because you've already made up your mind that there isn't. Therefore it is pointless to challenge your request at all.

Edit: on second thought I will challenge it(not that it matters) with Nels Cline along with Wilco performing Impossible Germany. The "face melting" begins around the 2min & 45sec mark of the song.

"Impossible Germany" by Wilco on Vimeo

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #14 of 113
x2. Redundant thread, from the get-go. But my 2 cents:

Buckethead may be fast, flash and, admittedly, enjoyable in short bursts...but I'll take Robbie Krieger on Moonlight Drive, say, or pretty much anything by Jeff Beck or Hendrix in preference. And fast, with passion? John McLaughlin on Inner Mounting Flame.

Not to mention some of the great bluesmen...

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 113
For pure speed/intensity there are a few sogs I would put above or on par with Jordan:
~ Nottingham Lace - Buckethead (same artist! Come on.)
~ Rice with the Angels, Time is the Enemy (Persona versions) - Jonas Hellborg (live: YouTube - Shawn Lane- Rice with the Angels)
~ Kaiser Nancarrow - Shawn Lane
~ Pleasent Surprise - Takayoshi Ohmura
~ Eudaimonia Overture - Paul Gilbert
~ Spanish Fire - Impellitteri
~ Concerto, Speed Metal Symphony - Cacophony
~ Altitudes, Mabel's Fatal Fable, etc. - Jason Becker
~ Hundreds of Thousands - Tony MacApline
~ Snakebite, Superheroes - Racer X
~ certain parts of Satch Boogie - Satriani

Otherwise (not as relentless, but better guitar solos, in my opinion) I would put:
~Just about anything Michael Lee Firkins, Shawn Lane, Marty Friedman, Paul Gilbert, or Jason Becker
~ Images - Cacophony
~ Back to Shalla-Bel, One Big Rush, Crystal Planet, A Train of Angels - Satriani
~ Technical Difficulties - Racer X
~ Saturday Morning, Throw it all Away - Howling Iguanas
~Tears of Sahara - Tony MacAlpine
~ Cinema - Vinnie Moore (one of the very few songs of his I can stand)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back