Buckethead's solo in Jordan is the best solo ever recorded.
Aug 11, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #106 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sorry, but there is something wrong here. You can not seriously put Joe Satriani together with Buckethead and Malmsteen?
biggrin.gif

When I listen to Satriani, I first and foremost hear the sweetest tones from what I think is one of the most accomplished guitarist ever. He for sure has technuiqe, but also a deeper musical understanding which makes him what he is.
His melodies got soul, they tell a story, and are played with true feeling and heart and the sweetest touch, which makes the whole difference to me.

I would say with Satriani it is the other way around, first and foremost musicianship, but the technique is absolutely there as well.

Yes, but unless it's blues based, he only hears the technique
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #107 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but unless it's blues based, he only hears the technique
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL........it doesn't have to be blues based.....there has to be an soulful emotion tho, that usually implies the blues in some form..................I consider the solo to Comfortably numb a very bluesy solo, its not the blues at all though.

I saw Al DiMeola a few months back......now this is a guy who is clearly miles ahead of Yngwe and Buckethead, and Satriani..........DiMeola from a technical standpoint can take a dump on those guys.........but again, he doesn't move me. His playing is still cold. It's fun to see people like that live tho......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKo0nVyVdlI

Then there's John McLaughlin......the greatest guitarist of all time, he has the technique but he's so filled with emotion..........that's beauty.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #108 of 113
Feels like the OP just wanted to see some cool guitar solos and rile everyone up lol. (didnt read whole thread so if this was already addressed, sorry)

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #111 of 113
There are thousands of guitar solos that would drop a deuce on the originally featured "wankfest".
B.B. could do it with one note. Someone finally mentioned Al Di Meola, I've never felt his playing was cold though. I saw RTF last summer in Denver and it was an amazing experience for me considering I was born around the time those albums dropped.

In addition to all who've been listed here, I would give Chris Poland, Alex Skolnick, Frank Gambale, Kirk Hammett, Eric Johnson, Paco De Lucia, and Scott Henderson the props for laying down plenty of better solos then Buckethead's "Jordan". No knock on the Bucket either as I'm sure he would humbly agree.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #112 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then there's John McLaughlin......the greatest guitarist of all time, he has the technique but he's so filled with emotion..........that's beauty.

Yay someone's said the messiah himself
wink_face.gif

Here he is with L. Shankar on violin in Shakti. It blows mind my mind even more when most of the interplay is improvised (supposedly, its just telepathic). Not to everyone's tastes, but I sit there stunned everytime I listen
YouTube - Shakti - 04 - The Daffodil and the Eagle

Very underrated guitarist is John Squire out the Stone Roses:
YouTube - The Stone Roses - I am the Resurrection (audio only)

And robm123, agree a million times over on Yngwie

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #113 of 113
Rodrigo y Gabrielo was fantastic thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back