Buckethead's solo in Jordan is the best solo ever recorded.
Aug 9, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #31 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be immature, I worded it that way because the thread is about Buckethead.

EDIT: By that I mean I was the one who claimed Buckethead to have the greatest solo. I'm not sure how the wording doesn't make sense in that situation.

And that's your bias. Now I'd love to see Buckethead come up with something original like Zappa, Hendrix, Buddy Guy, Santana, SRV, B.B. King or the other guitar legends out there.

Being a guitar virtuoso does not mean he can create memorable solos. This is music we're talking about, not technique.

Now it's my turn to suggest that you stop being immature and accept that technique and effects aren't everything.

Hell, IMO the only people who would consider that song to have the "greatest" solo would be Guitar Hero fanboys. And I can't even take them seriously.

Another thing to add, his speed or technique is nothing special compared to Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Satch, YJM and MAB. His "killswitch" technique is nothing special, Tom Morello does a better job at implementing it.

Buckethead is a "better" version of Slash with more technique. Probably that's why Axl called him to do some guitar work in Chinese Democracy. But that's about it. Even Slash can create better, memorable solos compared to him.

Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar by Paul Gilbert
Eudaimonia Overture by Paul Gilbert
Starry Night by Joe Satriani
Surfing With The Alien by Joe Satriani
Musterion by Joe Satriani
Asik Vaysel by Joe Satriani
Arpeggios From Hell by YJM

Those are just some songs with not only technique and speed, by also beautiful melodies.

He will be remembered as the guitarist with a bucket on his head and as Paul Gilbert's student. Nothing more.

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #32 of 113
Anyone who gives a poop about the emotional state of chickens should not be breathing my air. I have the best opinion ever, prove me wrong.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #33 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right back at you, my friend. I want to see what all the fuss is about, and since you made the claim, the burden of proof is on you. Link me up...

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

EDIT: Solo starts 1:28 in.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #34 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the others said.

He is fast, the solo is cool, but I fail to hear what's so special about it, but who cares as long as it moves YOU. No such thing as "best" though, and it is definetely not measured by how fast someone is. I must be getting old...
icon10.gif

Anyway, here is a quite awesome performance...

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YES!
ksc75smile.gif

That was awesome!
Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Nels Cline, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton all way more interesting than that Buckethead guy.

Buckethead strikes me as your average everyday speed metal guy. Nothing special, sorry.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #35 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT: Solo starts 1:28 in.

I vote No. I like Buckethead and all, but that doesn't come close to best solo ever (IMO, of course).

Shredding is a great way to show off technical skills but I think a solo needs to be musically and tastefully done. Those are subjective terms, so there will always be debate. But I want solos to be part of a song, not THE song. And, they need to have a more lyrical quality to rate truly high with me.

I'd put Page's solo on Stairway to Heaven well ahead of your suggestion and there are other solos that I'd probably rate ahead of StH as well.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #37 of 113
LingLing1337: I hate to break it to you, but that was a gigantic wankfest. It was not even a good one at that. John Petrucci (love him or hate him) could play circles around that. Having said this, shredding is awful. It's the musical equivalent of truck nuts.

Why does this guy feel that he needs to put a bucket on his head and don a mask? He looks absolutely ridiculous.

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #39 of 113
Dude there are plenty of Buckethead solos that sh!t all over Jordan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buckethead strikes me as your average everyday speed metal guy. Nothing special, sorry.

http://bucketheadland.com/01_The_Landing_Beacon.mp3
YouTube - For Mom-Buckethead
YouTube - Buckethead - Spell Of The Gypsies
YouTube - BUCKETHEAD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuG5PXxcxnQ

Average everyday speed metal? You either need to get your ears checked, or stop dribbling about that which you obviously have no idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John Petrucci (love him or hate him) could play circles around that. Having said this, shredding is awful. It's the musical equivalent of truck nuts.

Why does this guy feel that he needs to put a bucket on his head and don a mask? He looks absolutely ridiculous.

Don't write him off just yet. You're judging this artist by one song when he plays more genres proficiently than most. He's appeared on over 100 albums, of which only a small percentage are 'shred'.

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #41 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude there are plenty of Buckethead solos that sh!t all over Jordan.

http://bucketheadland.com/01_The_Landing_Beacon.mp3
YouTube - For Mom-Buckethead
YouTube - Buckethead - Spell Of The Gypsies
YouTube - BUCKETHEAD
YouTube - thanatopsis axiology

Average everyday speed metal? You either need to get your ears checked, or stop dribbling about that which you obviously have no idea.

Don't write him off just yet. You're judging this artist by one song when he plays more genres proficiently than most. He's appeared on over 100 albums, of which only a small percentage are 'shred'.

Yeah ok, he plays slow songs too. Sorry, he still bores me. Just my opinion.

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #42 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah ok, he plays slow songs too. Sorry, he still bores me.

Maybe it's the headphones you're listening thru
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #45 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by SungTong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^But you're missing the point of the thread; the initial idea was that Jordan had the "best solo ever", something that doesn't exist.

Agreed.

And mcmurray, there's a high chance the most of us who posted here HAD already listened to mr. bucket-on-the-head's "music" and with "Jordan", it justifies it even more that he's just your average technical guitarist which lacks the abilities to make good melodies. Any guitarist who knows scales and arpeggios can play around with scales and arpeggios without giving a **** about doing a melodic/smooth chord progression. But the hard bit about making a composition, let alone a solo, is the chord progression. Even John Petrucci does a better job than him in making music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back