Broken IE8 Internals - Photos
Oct 11, 2009 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Thresher

New Head-Fier
I mentioned in another post that I had broken the stem off my IE8's. I got a note from someone asking for pictures, so since these are going back to Sennheiser... here you go. I am posting links because the pictures are macro and gigantic (in print size, not in file size). You can zoom these to get an extremely detailed view of the guts. I don't know how to do thumbnails.
frown.gif

open.jpg
apart.jpg
back.jpg
brokestem.jpg
driver.jpg
driver_close.jpg
stemclose.jpg
stemhole.jpg
stemview.jpg
wholething.jpg

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 31
And how did that happen?

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 31
The stem broke off while trying to remove a T400 Comply foam tip. Evil little clingers, they are. Not recommended.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by milford302009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like an old $3 earbud lol... that costs a lot more lol (driver)

tongue_smile.gif
hehehe

Thanks for the pictures!

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 31
Great pics. Wouldn't normally ever see inside so thanks.
beerchug.gif
They do look cack for the money don't they?!
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thresher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stem broke off while trying to remove a T400 Comply foam tip. Evil little clingers, they are. Not recommended.

+1... The exact same thing happened to me... I almost had a Heart Attack LOL. Senn. send me in store to get an exchange so it's ok but... Guys seriously, do NOT use complys with the IE8...

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 31
Same thing happened to me but if you notice the broken stem pic, there are two lips on either side of the stem where it can be placed in the body. Put the stem in with the lips aligned with the body, give it a twist and the stem will stay on. However the stem will continue to twist and the stem will eventually come of again. When I first tried to remove the T400's, I noticed that the stem was rotating. This happened only on the left earpiece and the the right earpiece was secure. As I twisted off the T400 the stem came off as well. I just used some epoxy and it works fine. I've even been able to take off the foam tip again without any issues. The factory didn't put enough glue in the left earpiece. Just make sure to take off the existing dried glue before applying epoxy.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kn0x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1... The exact same thing happened to me... I almost had a Heart Attack LOL. Senn. send me in store to get an exchange so it's ok but... Guys seriously, do NOT use complys with the IE8...

dang, and i was considering getting comply to replace my current tips
frown.gif

any other tip to suggest then? as the existing tips don't offer the fit that i really want

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by alvinus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dang, and i was considering getting comply to replace my current tips
frown.gif

any other tip to suggest then? as the existing tips don't offer the fit that i really want

UE single flange tips are the best for me, perhaps you can give em a try

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE single flange tips

UE's accessory page is a bit of a pain to get around. It seems that the different tips are not compatible for all models, and I don't know which tips might fit appropriately. I was hoping you could maybe provide a link or more specific information about the tips that you like. I would definitely appreciate it, since I'm still on the hunt for better tips for the IE8.
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 31
The same thing just happened to be on my left earpiece for the second time. The first time it happened I quickly sent them back to Sennheiser for repair. It took a little over a month to get them back but I missed the hell out of them. After hearing Rip N' Burn's success with using an epoxy, I think I will go ahead and try it myself.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back