Bright or unbright - that's the question. Advice for the brightness sensitive
Jan 15, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
Quote:
I found Beyer 880 the brightest (eek!), AKG 702 next in line, then AT AD700/900,

AD 700 has WAY more treble than a DT 880 so.....
confused.gif

Depends on the 880 probably, since I believe there are three. Can't quite remember but I believe mine was 32ohm. As I've said in other threads, it reminded me of an HD650 with the treble full up (around, say, +10b at 10khz.)  

graphCompare.php

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #17 of 25

Quote:

Quote:
Not what I heard.  And I've had other people comment on the same observation as what I heard.

OK. Fair enough. Why don't you bring your 250's to the meet... We can A/B. 
biggrin.gif

Sounds like a plan.  Hopefully we both remember. 
smile_phones.gif
  Maybe I have a "magic" pair of 250's.  I did compare them vs to 2 other 600 ohm models.  A recent model, and the Revox 3100's (Beyer manufactured) from a long time ago.

Actually though, this is kind of what I heard:

I felt the 600 ohm model has tighter more impactful bass, which I did prefer, but that the 600 ohm model was also brighter.  That yellow peak at 8k - 9k Hz is a couple dB higher than the green and blue.  The softer warmer highs of the 250 ohm model won overall for me.  But I'd love to compare again.  Might be variation between different examples too.

Looks like the 32 ohm model "wins" for brightness though. 
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #18 of 25
i agree, i find things too bright.  granted i expected the Grados to be so but the HD600 were brighter and grittier in the highs than i expected and i was kinda dissapointed by the SRH840 and their abundance of treble, i had really really hoped they would be tuned far more like their IEM's.

really do want to hear the HD650 and P5 as i think they wil both be more to my tastes

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
i agree, i find things too bright.  granted i expected the Grados to be so but the HD600 were brighter and grittier in the highs than i expected and i was kinda dissapointed by the SRH840 and their abundance of treble, i had really really hoped they would be tuned far more like their IEM's.

really do want to hear the HD650 and P5 as i think they wil both be more to my tastes

I never cared for the 600 myself for the reason you've stated. The 650 fixes that problem.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #21 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

I never cared for the 600 myself for the reason you've stated. The 650 fixes that problem.

its on my list of want to hears, trouble is im not good at parting with stuff i dont use and they are already taking over my living room

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
Are there any consensus of unbright (accessible) phones that are unbright? (HD650 is one - are there others??)

There are surprisingly few.  It's funny that whenever a headphone is not bright, a lot of people seem to be up in arms about how it is "rolled-off" or "recessed" etc etc.  Yet a lot of people like a sound that is more neutral or not bright as can be seen by the incredible success of the HD650 and HD600.  And still, very few if any headphone manufacturers make headphones to compete with the HD650.  There's the LCD-2.  The new K240 isn't bright, but it also isn't that great.  I don't find the M50 to be harsh or fatiguing, but they are bright.  Vintage AKG's and vintage headphones in general are not bright.  Manufacturers were going for a different sound back then, the focus was on richness and purity in vocals.  They knew that bass and treble didn't matter as much as the midrange, and that if you nailed the vocal range, you could let the rest roll-off.  But today's headphones are really just about resolution.  And technical feats like huge soundstage.  But I could care less about resolution if they ruin the tone of instruments or simply inflict pain. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #24 of 25
I compared the V6's to the 7506's a while back.  While I thought the 7506's are too bright, with not enough low end, the V6's have a better low end and they aren't as bright as the 7506's IMO.  I actually liked the V6's quite a bit actually.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #25 of 25
Oh, finally somebody suffering from sensitive ears. I thought I'm all alone. Thanks for comming into the light :)

I had the Grado 325. I sort of liked the sound but they were just killing my ears. To harsh, to many highs, to much in your face, uncomfortable to wear. They seemed to me a pair of Russian 2nd WW T55 tank radio operator's headphones. Kept them for 2 days, sent them back.

Then I had the HD555 and they were much more down my alley, more lows, easy on the highs. But I upgraded to HD650 and they improved a lot on the 555 while retaining the highs "user friendliness".

Thing is, what's going to be the next upgrade. It won't be the 800 because they are so different from the 650. Read brighter and less lows. Maybe the LCD-2, the only headphones I heard they are an "improved" version of HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back