Brief Odac impressions
Mar 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,531 of 2,018
Quote:
Hi guys, long time not to post in this thread. I ordered an ODAC board ten days ago and waiting for it to ship to my country. I remember in this thread someone posted a picture with his Samsung Galaxy S3-> ODAC-> amplifier->... so ODACs can work with Android phones. My questions are how many phones you guy have tried with ODACs? How about Nokia Lumia series. We need a mini USB cables to connect to smartphones, right?

Thanks for reading my post.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
You need OTG cables to connect your mobile device to your DAC, which connector will depend on the specific device.

Nokia Lumia phones run Windows Phone 7 or 8, don't know if this OS supports USB audio.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,535 of 2,018
I'm running Win8 with ODAC (built by Audio Poutine) with no problems.

If you right-click the Volume icon and select Playback devices, you should see Speakers\ODAC if Windows recognizes the ODAC. My ODAC was picked up automatically once I plugged in the USB. You might want to try a different USB port on your PC if you have another one.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #1,536 of 2,018
I am using Window 8 Pro now. It has no problem detecting and starting ODAC. However, after a while of being idle, the driver will reset itself and all the sound will get distorted. A little bit of research seems to indicate that M$ has been using sub-par USB audio class 1 driver that will cause this kind of problem. I switch to using iFi iDAC now (which has its own 24/192 driver) and no problem whatsoever.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #1,537 of 2,018
Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am using Window 8 Pro now. It has no problem detecting and starting ODAC. However, after a while of being idle, the driver will reset itself and all the sound will get distorted. A little bit of research seems to indicate that M$ has been using sub-par USB audio class 1 driver that will cause this kind of problem. I switch to using iFi iDAC now (which has its own 24/192 driver) and no problem whatsoever.

I have good quality USB ports on my HP 2540p laptop and I experienced this problem, as well.  I don't have the iFi USB but, instead, used a powered USB hub with the ODAC and the issues was resolved.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,538 of 2,018
Quote:

I have good quality USB ports on my HP 2540p laptop and I experienced this problem, as well.  I don't have the iFi USB but, instead, used a powered USB hub with the ODAC and the issues was resolved.

Perhaps the USB hub somehow prevents the USB driver from resetting itself? I might try that later on. This is kind of suck because Vista has no such problem on the same PC with the same USB port. For what I have read M$ has known about the issue with their USB Audio Class driver since early on but they decided it isn't important enough to fix....
mad.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,539 of 2,018
I'm using my mobo's USB 3.0 port and I haven't noticed the distortion yet on Windows 8. Not sure that has anything to do with it but I thought I mention that in case someone else is experiencing this situation.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #1,541 of 2,018
Perhaps the USB hub somehow prevents the USB driver from resetting itself? I might try that later on. This is kind of suck because Vista has no such problem on the same PC with the same USB port. For what I have read M$ has known about the issue with their USB Audio Class driver since early on but they decided it isn't important enough to fix....
mad.gif

That's interesting.  I had this issue with the ODAC in Windows 7, too.  Recently went to Windows 8.. the issue remained.. got a powered hub.. boom, fixed.

I'm using my mobo's USB 3.0 port and I haven't noticed the distortion yet on Windows 8. Not sure that has anything to do with it but I thought I mention that in case someone else is experiencing this situation.

Nice.. My USB hub is a 3.0, as well.  Never tried using a 2.0 hub (don't have one laying around).. but I would suppose it would work, too.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #1,543 of 2,018
I can't use the ODAC without a powered hub. Not on my desktop or laptop.
I was shocked at how bad my ODAC sounded with my desktop's USB ports. Not the ODAC's fault.

On day one I posted a bunch of garbage about how bad the ODAC was sounding at the time and I felt like an idiot when I found out it was crappy USB ports.
I had to go back and remove a bunch of stupid comments.

I'm sure I could get the ODAC to sound ok if I tried a USB internal card or several different ports, but I'm not taking any chances.

My HRT MSII had the same issues.

Most USB ports should have no problems with the ODAC I imagine.

My computer has an MSI motherboard and it's fairly old. Still running a Q6600 from maybe 5 years ago.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #1,544 of 2,018
I am wondering if it may have less to do with the motherboard and more to do with your rigs power supply. My odac shipped today so I will let you know if I experience any issues, I have a seasonic x750 gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back