Brief Odac impressions
Aug 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #872 of 2,018
Quote:

Gotcha beat on neatness!! 
tongue.gif
 Don't be hatin'...

How does that the E17 compare to the ODAC?

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #873 of 2,018
Quote:
I had a similar experience with the odac. I was somewhat nervous about lean and bright. That's essentially the opposite of what I like to hear. What I experienced is better described as full and accurate. The bass was not diminished in the least but actually sounds better to. Trying to decide if I should go ahead and get the 02 as well or wait for the oda.

Same here. Someone describing the ODAC as cold, thin or analytical is a bunch of crap to me! I mean I can't even imagine that even with the O2 it will sound this way. It did at first somewhat, but I had fixed my problems.
Maybe they instead are describing the headphone that's attached to it all. Like their DT-880. I tried reviewing my amp once and 6 months later I realized I was basically describing my HRT MSII's sound signature..go me!

I do wonder how many people MIGHT get the ODAC and not realize their ports can't play well with it and think it's supposed to sound like that...

So far i've yet to have a headphone change it's signature too much at all with the ODAC as a source. Definitely improved, but same general sound signature.

I actually think the biggest improvement I heard was with my DJ100 and the ODAC! Yeah..an $80 headphone. Mostly in how much better the bass was. Didn't increase in quantity thankfully.

I was hoping it could magically make my Koss A/250 very warm and full sounding, but no such luck
biggrin.gif

BTW at times i'm almost thinking the ODAC might even sound warmer than the HRT MSII, but that's impossible. My idea is just the ODAC is more revealing of each recording. Never really occurred me to how warm some recordings are. Yes, even on my Q701.

Off to try out my Sextett LP..nothing can save that thing.

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #874 of 2,018
Quote:

Gotcha beat on neatness!! 
tongue.gif
 Don't be hatin'...

Your setup is neat! Loved the ODAC arrangement.

Btw if you want to try the O2 send me a C421 amp and I'll send you my O2 + $ what do you think? :p

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #875 of 2,018
Quote:
How does that the E17 compare to the ODAC?

I posted some impressions about the comparison somewhere but I'll give them again. 

I was surprised to find that the e09k and the odac was clearly better than the e09 and e17. I suspect that because the later is made to be docked and tuned to each other that it would naturally sound better. To me, it does not. 

The e09k has a switch on the front that allows you to go easily from docked e17 to odac. I've a/b ed them many times times. The odac is clearly the better dac. Better at revealing details, providing more layers of sound....without sounding too analytical but just nice and musical. 

Even with the hardware EQ, one of my favorite e17 features, I'd still pick the odac.

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #876 of 2,018
Quote:

I posted some impressions about the comparison somewhere but I'll give them again. 

I was surprised to find that the e09k and the odac was clearly better than the e09 and e17. I suspect that because the later is made to be docked and tuned to each other that it would naturally sound better. To me, it does not. 

The e09k has a switch on the front that allows you to go easily from docked e17 to odac. I've a/b ed them many times times. The odac is clearly the better dac. Better at revealing details, providing more layers of sound....without sounding too analytical but just nice and musical. 

Even with the hardware EQ, one of my favorite e17 features, I'd still pick the odac.

Thanks for taking the time to answer! helps a ton!

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #877 of 2,018
Quote:
Anyone wanting to get better performance out of the ODAC should consider building a 5v shunt regulated external power supply like the SSLV1.1 at diyaudio. Pretty simple build and starter kits are available (seems complicated but it really isn't). I've just finished one and it surpasses the regular linear PS I've been using which in turn was much better than the usb power. For those who have even basic skill with a soldering iron, there's a *lot* more performance to be squeezed out of this dac.

Hey, thanks for this heads up. Do you know what it was plugged into before you upgraded the power supply? Just curious. If nothing else, I think I might try the kits. What did you have it plugged into before? Was it a modern desktop board?

Thanks, all the best

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #878 of 2,018
Using VLC player to play my .flac and .m4a files with the ODAC, when switching from song to song, the first 1/2 second is cut off.... This does not occur when using wmp for mp3's.  Havent tested iTunes or Foobar yet.  Curious whether this is hardware based (like the issue with earlier versions of the Fiio e10) or software based. 

Anyone else experience this?

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #880 of 2,018
So I sold my audio-gd fun and DI today... I prefer the sound of the ODAC by far. It just sounds more real and alive. The fun was smooth which made everything sound good but it killed the imaging, clarity and sound stage depth. The elements within the sound stage tended to blend together.

...now to wait for the ODA.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #881 of 2,018
Using VLC player to play my .flac and .m4a files with the ODAC, when switching from song to song, the first 1/2 second is cut off.... This does not occur when using wmp for mp3's.  Havent tested iTunes or Foobar yet.  Curious whether this is hardware based (like the issue with earlier versions of the Fiio e10) or software based. 

Anyone else experience this?

Try musicbee. I recommend the beta in the forums.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #882 of 2,018
I know they say don't expect giant increases in sound quality when comparing equipment... and I really didn't. The ODAC straight into some audioengine a5 have really transformed the speakers. My mind is blown. Not sure how the ODAC will sound with the hd650's because the assessment was pointless through the only amp I had... the Fun. The distortion is too high to make a decent comparison between the fun's dac section and odac. I'm not saying that the ODAC is amazing compared to other dacs available... I have not heard other dacs. What I am saying is the dac in the audio-gd fun is absolute garbage compared to the ODAC. The Fun is obviously above the threshold for colouration and distortion. If you really want a dac to sound smooth no matter what you play through it then get yourself the Fun but there is a definite loss of fidelity.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #883 of 2,018
Quote:
I know they say don't expect giant increases in sound quality when comparing equipment... and I really didn't. The ODAC straight into some audioengine a5 have really transformed the speakers. My mind is blown. Not sure how the ODAC will sound with the hd650's because the assessment was pointless through the only amp I had... the Fun. The distortion is too high to make a decent comparison between the fun's dac section and odac. I'm not saying that the ODAC is amazing compared to other dacs available... I have not heard other dacs. What I am saying is the dac in the audio-gd fun is absolute garbage compared to the ODAC. The Fun is obviously above the threshold for colouration and distortion. If you really want a dac to sound smooth no matter what you play through it then get yourself the Fun but there is a definite loss of fidelity.

audio GD... is just really sketchy.

My Sparrow was pretty terrible.

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #884 of 2,018
Sep 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #885 of 2,018
Hello everyone, so this is my first post here, but I`ve been watching this site for some time now..
This week I got my ODAC (RCA version) from Head`n`Hifi but I`m experiencing some problems.. I tried to do some RMAA test, but for some reason I just cant get beyond 81 dBA for dynamic range in 24bit mode (even lower in 16bit). As a recording device i used my external sound card Creative X-Fi HD usb (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-System-SB1240/dp/B004275EO4) Some of you might think that its just a fault of low quality ADC in x-fi, but when i measured only x-fi in loopback (Line out -> Line in) I get dynamic range of 101 dBA which is quite in match with other online reviews of this x-fi card. So at first I thought its problem with power supply in my notebook as had been mentioned here so I also tried it on my desktop pc with quality psu, but with the same result. And to be honest I cant hear any difference between creative x-fi + O2 amp vs. ODAC + O2.. both with HD600. So I want to ask you - could somebody pls provide their RMAA test of your ODAC and share results?? (and sorry for my english:p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back