Brief Odac impressions
Jul 31, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #556 of 2,018
Quote:
Is there an option to have both a 3.5 mm output and RCA outputs?

Yes, all will have 3.5mm on the front (with USB), and RCA jacks on the rear.

Would it be possible to put the RCA outputs and USB input on the same face?

There's no room on the front for RCA jacks. Custom builds are actually pretty easy for us now with the CNC. But this just isn't a physical possibility, sorry!

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #557 of 2,018
Quote:
What do you guys think about coupling the ODAC with another amp than the O2? At this stage I'm thinking about a cheap amp until the ODA gets available and I have more funds to invest. 

Supposing that your goal is to own the ODAC + O2 combo, getting the ODAC first is probably doing it backwards.  For more headphones and setups, it's more important to have an amp that can run them properly.

That said, if you don't need a portable amp, by waiting several months, you could get the ODA instead of the O2 (assuming you still want one of the two).  It shouldn't sound any better than the O2, but it's the upcoming official desktop version which should have a few desktop convenience tweaks for probably a similar or slightly higher cost.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #558 of 2,018
Quote:

Supposing that your goal is to own the ODAC + O2 combo, getting the ODAC first is probably doing it backwards.  For more headphones and setups, it's more important to have an amp that can run them properly.

That said, if you don't need a portable amp, by waiting several months, you could get the ODA instead of the O2 (assuming you still want one of the two).  It shouldn't sound any better than the O2, but it's the upcoming official desktop version which should have a few desktop convenience tweaks for probably a similar or slightly higher cost.

I don't really think it's doing it backwards because if you don't have a proper source, in this case the broadly used Realtek chip, an amp can't do that much with it. Al tough I have read an amp can be beneficiary but it's better to have good source, like the one the ODAC provides. Simply said I need a DAC anyway. I can just buy a Fiio E10 but I tend to invest in a good DAC directly.

When I look at the DIY project for the O2 I wanna start tomorrow al tough I have zero experience in soldering, it's just fun challenge to create this thing by myself. But I'm not really sure about the way the power is provided for the O2.

Quote:

I use the ODAC with my Neco Soundlab V.3 portable (with dual AD8610 opamps).. more often than with the O2, in fact.  The V.3 is very neutral, but has a wonderful touch of smoothness and delicate warmth that's almost "Burson-esque."  Its spacious soundstage & excellent channel separation lends itself well to the ODAC crisp, high resolution output.

With cheap I actually mean really cheap :p, like Fiio E6 cheap :p. The Neco has the same pricepoint as the O2 more or less. But thanks for the idea anyway it sounds like a pretty neat amp and the warmth sounds great to my ears.

I was thinking. Maybe I can run a headphone directly from the ODAC? The sound can be controlled from the computer because the 24bit can handle that kind of loss of quality.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #559 of 2,018
Quote:
I was thinking. Maybe I can run a headphone directly from the ODAC? The sound can be controlled from the computer because the 24bit can handle that kind of loss of quality.

Nope, dont.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #561 of 2,018
I've never read any reviews or opinions for ODAC. But I had the opportunity to hear it and after some minutes of listening and comparisons I can tell that I've never heard a biggest discrepancy between fame and sound. That's the bad thing.  The good thing is that there's a good correlation between price and sound :))
It's just a mediocre cheap dac. It may be better than other cheap dacs but nothing more.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #566 of 2,018
Quote:
The transparency of the DAC depends on the source? That makes no sense whatsoever.

lol...pretty sure most people will refer to the DAC as the source. Unless he means the audio file...in which case that's still makes little sense

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #570 of 2,018
I still don't get how people are comparing the Dragonfly to the ODAC.  How are people avoiding the integrated amp on the Dragonfly to ascertain their conclusions?  They aren't I presume.

Also the Phonitor/Auditor is decent w/ the HD800 but nothing I'd call 'ruthless'.  There's better for the money though I'd still like a Phonitor for the pretty gauges and dials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back