Brief Odac impressions
Feb 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #1,817 of 2,018
  The Nad DAC may sound better without measuring better than ODAC. Some may like slightly rolled off highs or some other signature mark, that when complemented with good overall measurements might be more enjoyable, don't forget that. It is all down to what you expect your DAC to do.

Exactly. Technically, I'm not sure if the NAD is better, but I just liked it more. It's all about personal preference! 

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #1,819 of 2,018
Hi guys, just joined the club today.

My previous DAC was the ~$450 Yulong D100. And I would always notice something weird about cymbals in my music and the higher frequencies in general. Instead of a clean "Ts" i would hear a "Tshz". Since I really had nothing else to compare my D100 DAC to, I did not make any serious conclusions and kinda thought that's how recorded cymbals sound LOL. But I always had a suspicion. 

Came back home, set it all up, put my FA-003 on, then the HD650, T50RP. And... I don't see myself buying a chinese DAC/AMP again.

Not even the D100 internal head amp sucks, but the DAC, too!

Cheers.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #1,821 of 2,018
Sorry, it's a little beyond me. How do I know if I need a powered USB hub for my odac. Jds labs says if you have harsh distortion use a powered hub.
So far I think my odac sound effing great! But I'm new to this hobby. This is my first audiophile setup. So no duh it sounds amazing compared to what I was used to.
So my question is this: would a powered USB hub make ANY ODAC setup sound better?
Would a powered USB hub not possibly add noise to a signal?
Would any powered hub do?

Okay... So nwav and jds labs say to use a ferrite core USB lab. Nwav explains that this is best choice because USB dacs get their source signal and and power supply running along the same cable which can cause noise.
So.... Wouldn't this also be true for the USB cable running from the PC to the hub?

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #1,822 of 2,018
Harsh distortion is present when the unit is severely underpowered, for example when you have a power hungry something connected to the same hub (on your motherboard) like a charger and there isnt enough power for the ODAC, at least that's my guess. If it sounds great then it's perfectly OK.

Q1 - Any odac setup? perhaps. There were reports that when paired with an isolator like ADUM4160 (available in kits) and external power supply the sound improves, although these were only subjective impressions.  Probably some high-end usb hubs provide isloation from PC power lines, and most (if not all) provide external power supply which may be less (or more) noisy than PC's, thus theoretically making a difference. On paper if the ODAC is working fine then you won't benefit from a hub.

Q2 - USB hub may add more noise if it's power supply is of very poor quality (very, very cheap). Again, theoretically, as long as its working ODAC should not be affected.

Q3 - see Q1

Q4 - As far as I understand the ferrite core filters some of the high frequency power supply noise, so if you have it just at the ODAC end of the cable and not between PC and hub it should still filter any power supply noise, be it from PC or hub. So no, theoretically you don't need a ferrite between your PC and hub, though it would do no harm either.

Overall you can assume that ODAC was designed to be highly immune to noisy power supply and just enjoy the music.

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #1,824 of 2,018
Harsh distortion is present when the unit is severely underpowered, for example when you have a power hungry something connected to the same hub (on your motherboard) like a charger and there isnt enough power for the ODAC, at least that's my guess. If it sounds great then it's perfectly OK.

Q1 - Any odac setup? perhaps. There were reports that when paired with an isolator like ADUM4160 (available in kits) and external power supply the sound improves, although these were only subjective impressions.  Probably some high-end usb hubs provide isloation from PC power lines, and most (if not all) provide external power supply which may be less (or more) noisy than PC's, thus theoretically making a difference. On paper if the ODAC is working fine then you won't benefit from a hub.

Q2 - USB hub may add more noise if it's power supply is of very poor quality (very, very cheap). Again, theoretically, as long as its working ODAC should not be affected.

Q3 - see Q1

Q4 - As far as I understand the ferrite core filters some of the high frequency power supply noise, so if you have it just at the ODAC end of the cable and not between PC and hub it should still filter any power supply noise, be it from PC or hub. So no, theoretically you don't need a ferrite between your PC and hub, though it would do no harm either.

Overall you can assume that ODAC was designed to be highly immune to noisy power supply and just enjoy the music.

Wow. Awesome response! Thanks.
Answered everything I was curious about.

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,825 of 2,018
After listening and finally upgrading dacs,
I have to say you will have to go very high in price to achieve a realistic and noticable better level from the odac..

Don't waste your money and time on anything less than $700 and up range for a real difference..

The difference will be too small to justify and even the rest of your equipment may not take advantage..

For me the difference had nothing to do with the specs, perfomace bits or sound signature,

But namely the hard to measure or define areas of perception, depth & presence..

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,826 of 2,018
Hello, I've had ODAC for a while, but not anymore. 
Now I am using C5D, (PCM5102). Could anyone compare the DAC it self with the ODAC? 

sometime I miss how to ODAC sound. someone show me something interesting, cDAC+ from audio poutine. 
this stuff is same ODAC with addition galvanic isolator Adum with ext. 5V DC supply. 
link = https://www.facebook.com/AudioPoutine?fref=ts

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #1,827 of 2,018
I have a similar question as polermo. I have been thinking about getting a usb isolator for my ODAC. I have tried the ODAC with a belkin 4 port usb hub and perferred the sound of the direct connection to my laptop. I felt the usb hub made the the ODAC sound brighter than the laptop connection. Overall I found the sound fatiguing out of the hub. I've read through this post and found a few impressions of members using a usb isolator, but these impressions were a little vague. There is nothing offensive sounding about the ODAC being connected directly to my laptop,I would just like to squeeze as much performance out of the ODAC as possible.

This is the Isolator I have been considering:
http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/usb-interfaces/adum4160-usb-isolator-board-populated

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #1,828 of 2,018
Originally Posted by Spiral Out /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is the Isolator I have been considering:
http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/usb-interfaces/adum4160-usb-isolator-board-populated

Thats the basic kit i used in my build, but you dont want to use that power supply, you will need a decent linear one.  You can buy that kit without the power supply parts here http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/usb-interfaces but to be honest you would be better off waiting for Tomb to finish his isolator/power supply kit and buy that instead.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #1,829 of 2,018

Thats the basic kit i used in my build, but you dont want to use that power supply, you will need a decent linear one.  You can buy that kit without the power supply parts here http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/usb-interfaces but to be honest you would be better off waiting for Tomb to finish his isolator/power supply kit and buy that instead.

Could you give a link to that project? Interesting stuff guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back