Breaking News: HE1000 V2
Sep 10, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #181 of 386
I had a chance to listen to the Utopia's at the semi-recent SF meetup.

I found the Utopias to many times be lacking "depth" to the sound. With my HEKs I can often not tell if a sound is coming from the music I'm listening to or from the room I am sitting in. The Utopia for me always felt like I was listening to music whereas the HEK felt like I was in a room of music. Granted thats not to say the HEKs are a stand-in for my towers but its damn close for certain genres. I do find that the HEKs do lack a high degree of impact to the low end for some types of music like EDM or Metal. For this reason I recently picked up the MrSpeakers Ether C Flow as a supplement to my HEKs.

You should have checked the HE1000 tape mod thread here,
which brings in more details,
But I did not do as I am awaiting V2,
And as an easier addition to that mod,
I added the foam mod there,
which brings in more slam/impact.
The HEK sounds great with the schiit Jotunheim as well.

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #182 of 386
Ok, now that Maxx has released it into the wild, I can say I've been running his foam ring mod on my HE1000 for a week or so and I can confirm that it does indeed improve the slam whilst removing some of the HE1000's inherent softness. An essential mod imho, and extremely simple to implement (and reversible).

Sep 10, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #183 of 386
@Maxx134 Few reviews suggested earlier that HEK is not picky about amp compared to HD800 but found out amp also plays a significant role the hard way. I tried it with 2 dynamic sounding chips in Neco V4 amp and they sounded with edginess in treble especially in the mid treble region and also lowered the deepness/impact of the sub bass then i tried it with a Warm/Neutral chip ADA4627 and that fixed all the problem above.So in essence HEK looks like it does well with Warm to Neutral amps as it has plenty of treble as is and do not want an amp to kick it up a notch further

Some have recommended to get the new amps in market Jotunheim or Alo Continental V5 for HEK for a semi portable amp setup. So is Jotunheim a Warm/Neutral amp ? does it make sense to go for Alo continental V5  which is few hundres more ? if any of you have heard both of them or at least one of them then interested to know your opinion

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #184 of 386
Yeah you have to Be watchful over the power output some of these suggestions because they may not be that much in Watts..
Most are about 1 watt or less.
I like the Neco and it is cheaper than the continental..
I used to have an older version of the Continental with tube and it was very nice as well..
They all a bit expensive, as is the Neco ( a bit cheaper) and very nice overall,
but in terms of power they all about less than a watt,
so, personally, I would just go for an O2 amp and roll those op apps and have just as much power as those others if not more,
Then save up for Jotunheim..
Why? In the semi portable arena,
it doesn't pay to wander in the middle ground when you can save up and jump ahead with something better like this new schiit..

I say because I heard the Jotunheim with the HEK.
To me it is an excellent pairing.
Yet the amp is not a thick or dull or laid back in signature,
Instead it is very is neutral, maybe a touch forward I am not sure yet..

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #186 of 386
I think the shape of V2 cups are as same as V1 but I've already replaced my V1 by V2 so I couldn't test it.

First impression (10hr):
V2 sounds deeper than V1 but not wider.
Impact in V2 is somewhat much obvious than V1.
The Hifiman's cables V2 (2-core silver, 1-core copper) might cause V2 tending to brighter treble and less extension in bass than V1(1-core silver, 1-core copper).
I need spend more time to burn-in V2, or I would prefer the tone of V1.
Much more forward in all frequency in mids and highs, not like V1 with some backwardness in some frequencies such as cymbals.

V2 is much tensive and V1 is much relaxed.
The changes for me like the effects as tone-in of loudspeakers.

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #187 of 386
  I think the shape of V2 cups are as same as V1 but I've already replaced my V1 by V2 so I couldn't test it.

First impression (10hr):
The Hifiman's cables V2 (2-core silver, 1-core copper) might cause V2 tending to brighter treble and less extension in bass than V1(1-core silver, 1-core copper).
Much more forward in all frequency in mids and highs, not like V1 with some backwardness in some frequencies such as cymbals.

Not sure I can agree that the standard "silver is brighter...and copper is warmer", not sure if the electrons mind. Silver is a better conductor than copper, but that difference really might only manifest itself in the GHz ranges...we are only 20 - 20 000 Hz here. 
redface.gif
 That said, I do agree that the new V2 is a bit more dynamic...which for me is very much welcomed!

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #188 of 386
I wonder if we'll get similar effect with the V1 and a upgraded cable with V2 earpads.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #189 of 386
Reading about all the quality control issues at HiFiMan gives me much concern.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #190 of 386

Not sure I can agree that the standard "silver is brighter...and copper is warmer", not sure if the electrons mind. Silver is a better conductor than copper, but that difference really might only manifest itself in the GHz ranges...we are only 20 - 20 000 Hz here. 
redface.gif
 That said, I do agree that the new V2 is a bit more dynamic...which for me is very much welcomed!

A bit more dynamic and much forward. I'm not sure if it is better :p
I also agree with you that a good cable will have good extension in both treble and bass no matter it was made of copper or silver.
I just wonder why the difference was such obvious between V1 and V2.
I'm under burn-in the line and HE1000 V2 seeing if they would be smoother in treble and deeper in bass.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #191 of 386
I also agree with you that a good cable will have good extension in both treble and bass no matter it was made of copper or silver.
I'm under burn-in the line and HE1000 V2 seeing if they would be smoother in treble and deeper in bass.

There are two significant differences between V1 and V2 (cup depth + pad size/angle), and one far less significant difference (cable). Honestly, I wouldn't be looking to the cable to explain differences between the two.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #192 of 386

First impression (10hr):

Thanks for the impression, can't wait to get mine!

Definitely let it burn........-in  
regular_smile .gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #193 of 386

There are two significant differences between V1 and V2 (cup depth + pad size/angle), and one far less significant difference (cable). Honestly, I wouldn't be looking to the cable to explain differences between the two.

The less wide and more depth makes much sense as you are now using a more angled taller pads, which will give you a more frontal presentation..

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #194 of 386

A bit more dynamic and a BIT more forward does make it better in my books. I prefer the improved dynamics of the V2 as they have really come alive. I've used them almost exclusively for a week and it's hard to put them down right now. 
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #195 of 386
Forgive me, this Weilli guy only posted 5 posts since 2006, and all his posts are about HE1000 V2. Please post some actual photos of your system, don't forget the cans, or it didn't happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back