Breaking News: HE1000 V2
Aug 10, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #121 of 386

Ha...how much do you think it cost them to make a pair of HEK? Do you think they will sell them to you at $300? Same logic...I know because I'm dealing in the premium sector of my niche market

You are missing a zero. I paid $3k for it and so did many v1 owners. I won't insult you but to each their view. State your price for HFM here. If not, go ahead and pm HFM to let them know how many $1XXX (fill the zeros) you want to pay them.

$0 is what I will pay to HFM. Not because I can't afford. But wait, maybe I will need a few dimes for the incoming Utopia/DAVE. 

I don't care what niche market you serve for a living but if you are the same as HFM in your business demeanour. Good luck. There are lots of snobbish rich folks I know who don't like to be snubbed. If you dare to call you product flagship, then keep it as a flagship after you sell it to me. But if it is still DIY and being tweaked (polyester for velour), come back next year or the year after. What, I don't care if you switch velour for cashmere and 3 cores for 2 cores, go ahead and raise the price to $4k cos that's what I am paying for the Utopia. 

Are you kidding me? I am not even going into an argument with you, just guessing that I don't think your sense of entitlement is going to force HFM to give these away for free (for once I will be happy if I'm wrong here tho
rolleyes.gif
 ). However if you insist that you are entitled to a free pad, that's your guess and prerogative.

As you don't know me so no need to make dumb judgement about me. I might be serving in that niche that why I understand how companies think, but how I run my business is...my business. I can only guessed where your anger are coming from but you are barking at the wrong tree here, since I am not the one who call the shot about giving you these damn pads!  
angry_face.gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #122 of 386

Quote:

Are you kidding me? I am not even going into an argument with you, just guessing that I don't think your sense of entitlement is going to force HFM to give these away for free (for once I will be happy if I'm wrong here tho
rolleyes.gif
 ). However if you insist that you are entitled to a free pad, that's your guess and prerogative.

As you don't know me so no need to make dumb judgement about me. I might be serving in that niche that why I understand how companies think, but how I run my business is...my business. I can only guessed where your anger are coming from but you are barking at the wrong tree here, since I am not the one who call the shot about giving you these damn pads!  
angry_face.gif

You are the one barking up the wrong tree asking me if HFM will sell the HEK to me for $300. 

To each his view, so state your price to pay HFM for the upgrades if you disagree that giving them free to V1 owners is the right thing for HFM to do. 

Let me help you with the current list prices for the HE1000 store.

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #123 of 386
Hey guys...
if you noticed that comparison picture ,
It showed that they made the metal headband with MORE notches,
for even bigger heads!
Lol!

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #124 of 386
Okay I have been looking at this from a design point,
and here are my initial thoughts:

1- Making the enclosure thinner, will bring the driver internally closer to the earpad...

If you look at the he1000 tape mod thread,
you will notice there is a gap of INTERNAL space around the driver,
before it reaches the pads...

That space will be reduced in new version, so you will get more closer to driver detailed sound with less potential internal reflections....

Also, rear window shade grill, being closer to the driver, should finally play a more noticeable role as well..
Edit :
Athough it does seen most space reduction will be from front pads side.

So yes... I can agree a sonic change WILL take place...

The design itself, (not the driver) aluded to the fact,
That this will be a different sounding headphone...
Most notably I would assume less laid back signature.

Yet, the increase in the pad depth may cancel out some of these benefits of the proximity of driver!

So hopefully, the thickness of the pads will actually help with impact without creating added distance.

Regardless of outcome, we should definitely have a different signature...
:)

Cheers.

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #125 of 386
Regardless on whether we should pay for the upgrade or it should be provided for free, i'm just happy that HFM or any manufacturer, for that matter, is making improvements to their products. It means that head-fi is thriving. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #128 of 386
We have too many new TOTL headphones coming out at same time. ...
Clash of the headphone Titans this season!

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #129 of 386
Hey guys...
for even bigger heads!
Lol!

Maybe the starting position is a smaller size than that of the original?

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #130 of 386
Hey guys...

for even bigger heads!

Lol!

Maybe the starting position is a smaller size than that of the original?

Comparing photos from hifiman email news, shows a longer metal height!

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #131 of 386
On their FB page, they have confirmed that there are no changes to the driver units.

Means that we could get away with just changing the earpads and cable and could get a similar sound with our V1.

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #132 of 386
Allow me to rant...

Can't speak for HFM but as a business owner myself, we are already 3 generations ahead of our development cycle (meaning we have on hand and signed off, 3 improved products ahead of our current TOTL product) but that doesn't compel me to introduce them in quick succession to the market because that might lead to consumer's confusion (like what's happening here), frustration (esp. for dealers with good amount of inventory they now have to clear at a discount) and a general cannibalizing of your own products. I have to managed the market properly to prevent (or at least minimize) such from happening. The good gauge of timing to introduce new wares are when competitors are bringing in improved products or when the sales hit a plateau, then I would know its time for me to introduce new products so as to keep the brand excited to my buyers.

(Rightly or wrongky) I believe this might already be the plan for HFM, and the initial sales spike and rave reviews have died down somewhat and competitors are already bringing new products to the market to sweep up customers walket, so a new update/upgrade is deemed necessary. This is very much a business decision and the actual incremental sonic improvement might not be felt by many buyers, other than one's psychological need to have the newest and the greatest.

I am lucky to be in the right place at the right time shopping for my high-end can and was more than happy to received a no brainer offer from my local distributor, and out comes my wallet. I knew V2 will be out soon but its either at more money or just incremental cosmetic and sonic upgrade, and so I audition the V1 for what it is, and not what might be coming soon. I was impressed with what I heard, and that's enough for me.

I understand those who paid full price might be upset or frustrated but hey that's the early adopter's tax we all have to pay. But as KEKV2 is still a good 1~2 months away, let's cherish and enjoy what we have today. V2 might slowly trickle in to allow dealers with V1 to clear their stocks, then we will see the upgrade kit some months after, by then it would have been 18 months or more and a ideal time for most to upgrade.

HFM is here as a business to make money, that's a given. How they managed their customers satisfaction, relationships, complains etc will determine how successful they will be in the longer term. Dr.Fang is a good audio designer but he's also a darn good businessman, make no mistake about it. I like his products and I trust him to do the right thing.

This... BUT, I don't believe Hifiman is three generations ahead in the development cycle.  I believe what comes to market is very much on the leading/bleeding edge of their product development.  And this is for better AND worse.  

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #134 of 386
Well, after all retailers get their stocks empty the second-hand price will probably return just above 2k. At least I'm not willing to part with my headphones under 2k if I have to :p If everyone withstands panic selling the v2 wouldn't be a problem for current owners.

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #135 of 386
Surprised to see no V.2 at Canjam London!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back