BREAKING NEWS! ALO audio's new portable tube amplifier + DAC!
Aug 31, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #16 of 37
Headfonia's notes seem to on the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/notes/headfoniacom/aloaudio-panam-impressions/456343511077018

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #17 of 37
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Sep 10, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #20 of 37
Just plugged in my Pan Am with GW and Passport - this thing could power a battleship.  More grunt than...   Shigseo - were you trying to power it off an iPad?

I like the way that if you 'upgrade' the valves they include the 'original' set as well.  Should be fun rollin them to see what...

One of the valves is glowing like a lighthouse and the other is darker than the bat-cave.  Is that OK / normal?

All I need know is the most beautiful (i kid you not) set of Marty  Aboyna Ebony customs to arrive - they are on their way so bliss will soon be mine.

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #21 of 37
Too bad the discount code doesn't isn't for resellers except for directly from the ALO website... :frowning2:  Postage to Australia is so expensive...

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #22 of 37
I wasn't trying to POWER it from an iPad, merely use the iPad as a music transport and feed the music to the Pan Am's DAC via USB. The DAC in the Pan Am needs more than the measly 20mw or whatever it is the iPad outputs. I have no older iPad firmware to test and no other tablets to compare with. Suffice it to say that to use with an iPad, you will need an external battery pack to power a USB hub.
Quote:
Just plugged in my Pan Am with GW and Passport - this thing could power a battleship.  More grunt than...   Shigseo - were you trying to power it off an iPad?

I like the way that if you 'upgrade' the valves they include the 'original' set as well.  Should be fun rollin them to see what...

One of the valves is glowing like a lighthouse and the other is darker than the bat-cave.  Is that OK / normal?

All I need know is the most beautiful (i kid you not) set of Marty  Aboyna Ebony customs to arrive - they are on their way so bliss will soon be mine.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #23 of 37
Let's see if I have this - you buy the Pan Am with EITHER the Passport OR the Gateway, right ? Why am I seeing photos with both power supplies ?

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #24 of 37
There is a small 12V wall wart that comes with the Pan Am. You don't need the external power supply or the battery, but they are options. The battery is a killer accessory. I charge it via the wall wart and go. I'll take it to e-earphones this week maybe and check out some great headphones.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #27 of 37
^ Since I'm an ALO fanboy, do you have comparisons between all of the other amps?  I nearly have all of them, The Continental, The National, RXMk3-B...

The specs with the bass response starting from 40Hz is the same concern with The Continental...

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #28 of 37
What are your priorities? And what amp do you prefer out of ALO's lineup? I'm really really impressed by the National and of course the Rx. The Pan Am I've not spent enough time with to really give a solid opinion about, but it is one of the most complete designs I've used to date. Sound is very good, but I need more time to really explain my thoughts.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #29 of 37
Yeah, the RX3 is widely considered to be at the top of the portable amplifiers.  And I actually do like all of their amps, all have their own signature, although to drive the planar dynamics well, the RX3 and the Triad Audio L3 are at the top of that, as much as I like the Continental and the National, they do seem to be running out of steam when compared to the others.

Does the Pan Am sound like any of the amps and it has lots of power, am I right?

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #30 of 37
The Pan Am has more of the National sound signature than it has the Continental sound signature, though that is a grossly generalised statement. Again, I won't be ready to give very good overall report until my review is done. For now enjoy the various bites that current owners are throwing out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back