Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Feb 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,817 of 2,720
ooh guys I'm buying a Hifiman Ef2A with Mullard tubes soon :D. I'm curious to see how it compares to my Indeed g3 [seeing as the Ef2A is costing me as much as the indeed did] but man I do love the wide array of $100 Tube Hybrid amps out there ^^ 

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #1,819 of 2,720
Quote:
Can Someone list the best tube amps for under $120?

haha, I'm trying to figure that one out my self.
But the best amps under $120 are used ;3

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #1,820 of 2,720
Quote:
ooh guys I'm buying a Hifiman Ef2A with Mullard tubes soon :D. I'm curious to see how it compares to my Indeed g3 [seeing as the Ef2A is costing me as much as the indeed did] but man I do love the wide array of $100 Tube Hybrid amps out there ^^ 

Don't waste your money on the EF2A, it's a rubbish amplifier for the price. Look at the reviews.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #1,821 of 2,720
Quote:
^ of this amp design, I would prefer an Indeed G3, because it has many upgraded components (resistors, low-noise power supply, capacitors, MOSFETS) two inputs & outputs, a switch to enable 6DJ8 or 12AU7 equivalent tube families, a bass/treble boost function that adjusts itself based on overall volume setting, a power-on safety delay to prevent the "pop!" that can damage your headphones and hearing, and more. The bravo made some improvements from their original release, and they're a bit cheaper, but unless you have modding skills I suggest you buy the Indeed version. If you read back through this thread, starting at the beginning or middle when these amps were most popular, you'll see that many people came to this conclusion. Particularly look for Judge Buff's posts, he ended up buying a few of each kind of amp.

Thanks for the props, Ev! I just like tinkering with these amps, and listening to great tubes.

Listen y'all, The G3 is the best bang for the buck as it gives you TWO families of tubes to roll, and is pretty easy to mod if you want. Just swapping out capacitors makes huge differences, but you need quality components as replacements. If your funny looking little tube amp takes 12au7 and equivalents, I'm partial to RCA blackplates as early as you can get them (1950s) and pulled organ tubes are OK in this regard as bargain valves. You generally can't beat a RCA clear top either.If your amp takes 6dj8s, you can't go wrong with a Holland Phillips/Amperex valve ECC88, E88CC, or whatever you can afford. Siemens marketed as RCA 6922s are incredible.

Oh and using tubes that are worth more than the amp? Yeah, I have several that are worth more, my fav being a Mullard E188CC that I got for a song. It gets an hour or two a month and is silk in the mids and sweet everywhere else. Most Mullards can tame bright phones and are sex in your ears for R&B, and Blusey music. The best advice I can give is the same type of response that Mark Twain once gave to someone who asked for investment advice. He told them to buy land, as THEY AREN'T MAKING ANYMORE. These tubes are the same way. I don't buy the new tubes hype. As an old guy, I like using antiques...

When you buy tubes, any tubes, make sure that the tube is balanced, with values less than 10% apart. One triode at 137% and the other at 90% will require you to bias the tube. If you can't bias the tube with a multimeter or by ear, don't waste your money. Read all over the net about tubes from anyone that has a site with information about the tube families. Study the architecture of each tube or just your favorite tubes. I've got tubes that have no labels that are amazing! I get excited about finding a NOS Siemens for $7 that I recognized from the architecture alone. I'm approaching 160 tubes and I've never paid more than $35 (as I remember), and that was for a pair. 

This isn't life or death. Have fun! Experiment. Learn how to solder. Buy a Voskhod 6n23p from the 80s or before. Keep looking for a 6n23p-ev from Voskhod... If you find one, PM me :) , but buy a Reflektor 6n23p-ev from the 70's or 80's while you are looking. Awesome valves.

If I can help, PM me. I check hf every couple of weeks.

If you want to know about tubes, study about tubes y'all. Google works.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #1,823 of 2,720
I absolutely hate it when you buy a tube that sounds so good that you want another pair but with the lettering rubbed off their is no way to identify it even comparing the inside structures be it a tin-foil/d/halo (o) getter, double/triple mica, grey/black short/long/ladder plates, smoked, grey glass, clear top, gold pinned, diamond/etched base.....

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #1,825 of 2,720
Quote:
I absolutely hate it when you buy a tube that sounds so good that you want another pair but with the lettering rubbed off their is no way to identify it even comparing the inside structures be it a tin-foil/d/halo (o) getter, double/triple mica, grey/black short/long/ladder plates, smoked, grey glass, clear top, gold pinned, diamond/etched base.....

I get ya... But there are INCREDIBLE bargains out there and all it takes is identifying the "tell." Just like in human behavior, there are tells in tubes. If at tube is blank but the top seams are described as a cross or an "X," my first thought is Siemens? Smoked, my first thought is GE, especially if the flashing is almost half the glass' length. Etc, etc...

Have I missed identifications, you bet! But even with most of my mystery valves, I like the output. And I bet that if you "get into" a couple of tube brands/types, you'll start noticing them in auctions. Sometimes, they can be gotten for ridiculously low prices. Along with the hobby of these small amps, my other hobby in this regard is collecting the tubes themselves.

The most difficult thing for me in collecting valves, is my inability to convince my wife of the inherent worth of the tubes themselves. Therefore, I've gotten rather adept at sneaking them into the house...
cool.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,826 of 2,720
Quote:
Thanks for the props, Ev! I just like tinkering with these amps, and listening to great tubes.

Listen y'all, The G3 is the best bang for the buck as it gives you TWO families of tubes to roll, and is pretty easy to mod if you want. Just swapping out capacitors makes huge differences, but you need quality components as replacements. If your funny looking little tube amp takes 12au7 and equivalents, I'm partial to RCA blackplates as early as you can get them (1950s) and pulled organ tubes are OK in this regard as bargain valves. You generally can't beat a RCA clear top either.If your amp takes 6dj8s, you can't go wrong with a Holland Phillips/Amperex valve ECC88, E88CC, or whatever you can afford. Siemens marketed as RCA 6922s are incredible.

Oh and using tubes that are worth more than the amp? Yeah, I have several that are worth more, my fav being a Mullard E188CC that I got for a song. It gets an hour or two a month and is silk in the mids and sweet everywhere else. Most Mullards can tame bright phones and are sex in your ears for R&B, and Blusey music. The best advice I can give is the same type of response that Mark Twain once gave to someone who asked for investment advice. He told them to buy land, as THEY AREN'T MAKING ANYMORE. These tubes are the same way. I don't buy the new tubes hype. As an old guy, I like using antiques...

When you buy tubes, any tubes, make sure that the tube is balanced, with values less than 10% apart. One triode at 137% and the other at 90% will require you to bias the tube. If you can't bias the tube with a multimeter or by ear, don't waste your money. Read all over the net about tubes from anyone that has a site with information about the tube families. Study the architecture of each tube or just your favorite tubes. I've got tubes that have no labels that are amazing! I get excited about finding a NOS Siemens for $7 that I recognized from the architecture alone. I'm approaching 160 tubes and I've never paid more than $35 (as I remember), and that was for a pair. 

This isn't life or death. Have fun! Experiment. Learn how to solder. Buy a Voskhod 6n23p from the 80s or before. Keep looking for a 6n23p-ev from Voskhod... If you find one, PM me :) , but buy a Reflektor 6n23p-ev from the 70's or 80's while you are looking. Awesome valves.

If I can help, PM me. I check hf every couple of weeks.

If you want to know about tubes, study about tubes y'all. Google works.

Yeap, the G3 is hot magical sex Hybrid tube awesome ness! Mine came modded with easy tube rolling :D. All I need is a multi meter

also DUDE AWESOME tip! Balanced tube... makes perfect sense. ButJudge Bluff you and I need to start and Indeed G3 thread

In addition I did NOT jump on the EFa2. Instead I might try a MMHS for about $100 as well with custom tubes... but I'll haev about $200 dollars so I might try to get a Little Dot Mk III :O and go REAL tube instead of hybrid :D

but that won't be for another month.. for now it's just standard Indeed G3 with a Harmonics EH6992... I am getting a DAC so that will make the tube work better <3

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,827 of 2,720
Back in 2010/11, whenever it was that I purchased my G3, I made a deal with the Indeed guy, whoever he was/is, and I got a deal on a second G3 sans power supply. Its a virgin; pristine and never used. (I think I got both of them for ~ $120.) Ready for modding.

As soon as I get a little time on my hands, I may have to start creating another hybrid FrankenAmp. Hmmmmm... maybe its time to start scoping out the component sources.

To the Man Cave!

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #1,828 of 2,720
To the Man Cave!

Lol, do you use a piano to unlock the door? There is just something about imagining Batman as an audiophile that gives me the giggles!

The Joker: "Youuuu must be joking?!"
The Batman: points to ears and smiles.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #1,829 of 2,720
Quote:
Anywhere else to buy an Indeed G3 other than eBay?

I'm in love with my Bravo V2 but I want to sell it locally and grab the better built Indeed G3

ebay or the F/S section....you can still retain your tubes for the G3.

Quote:
I get ya... But there are INCREDIBLE bargains out there and all it takes is identifying the "tell." Just like in human behavior, there are tells in tubes. If at tube is blank but the top seams are described as a cross or an "X," my first thought is Siemens? Smoked, my first thought is GE, especially if the flashing is almost half the glass' length. Etc, etc...

Have I missed identifications, you bet! But even with most of my mystery valves, I like the output. And I bet that if you "get into" a couple of tube brands/types, you'll start noticing them in auctions. Sometimes, they can be gotten for ridiculously low prices. Along with the hobby of these small amps, my other hobby in this regard is collecting the tubes themselves.

The most difficult thing for me in collecting valves, is my inability to convince my wife of the inherent worth of the tubes themselves. Therefore, I've gotten rather adept at sneaking them into the house...
cool.gif

Yeh I've had almost a box full of tubes at one stage that had no identification, although I was able to identify a few by it's sound signature, but the most interesting 12AU7 tube I have ever heard and I do regret selling it off was a completely smoked, brown military based ECC82, this thing was covered in what you can call burnt charcoal. Even the original tube seller didn't have any way of identifying it besides it sounding very very good, giving his Tele and Gold Lions a run for it's money and testing strong on his Hickock, he had 3 so he sold the pair. I bought 1 and had to sell it off for a few reasons....I'm still pissed off at myself to this day that I sold it off. The other time was having a tube blow up on me, yes top getter area of the mica's shattering the glass whilst in my amp....supposedly the seller said it was a 7AU7 tube instead of 12AU7 which he sold me, sounded good and again no identification whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back