Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Sep 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #1,081 of 2,720
I also posted these in the Indeed thread, but I wanted to share it with all you "Bravos."

The exposed wires are for setting cathode bias voltages at ~13V for each. The tube led looks blue here, but it's UV and it's awesome in the dark. This tube is a 6n23p-ev from 10/1978 and it is strong, smooth, balanced, clean and magical...from the sound positioning to the amazing range. I just got it yesterday. It may be the best sounding valve in my repertoire.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #1,084 of 2,720
You've shown me yours...now I'll show you mine...tomorrow.

Quote:
As my dad used to say to me in the early 70's, "Boy, you ain't right..." ROTFL

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #1,085 of 2,720
Hey tube rollers
My 3 12AU7 tubes arrived today RCA, GE, B&K.  Thought I'd share my impressions on these 'budget' tubes

The RCA had grey plates, comes in a red box with plain black and white letters

It has great bass - a pleasant surprise for me. Good details too. Treble is not pronounced. Most mellow of the 3.

The GE (box says 3/64) has good bass too but not as much as the RCA. Better trebles and more balanced than the RCA

The B&K has very tight bass and great treble. Volume seems lower overall - I had to up the volume one step. (btw - never heard of this brand. Not much turn up from google either).  

I like the RCA the most, but I think the GE is more accurate.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #1,086 of 2,720
I recently got some Baldwin 12AU7 tubes (Sylvania grey plates), they actually sound pretty good although I am sure they were just plugged right out from old organs.

I am in the process of playing around with replacing resistors with Takman metal film ones, but the desoldering job is actually harder than I expected as like many others had said here, the Bravo V2 black PCB is just rubbish. I managed to life some of the copper traces and had to do a by pass for one of the output caps with a solide copper wire. I shall let you guys know whether if is worth all those efforts as changing the resistors to better quality 0.5W ones does reduce the background noise.

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #1,087 of 2,720

Quote:
Hey tube rollers
My 3 12AU7 tubes arrived today RCA, GE, B&K.  Thought I'd share my impressions on these 'budget' tubes

The B&K has very tight bass and great treble. Volume seems lower overall - I had to up the volume one step. (btw - never heard of this brand. Not much turn up from google either).  

I like the RCA the most, but I think the GE is more accurate.

The B&K is a probably rebranded from another manufacturer. If you can post (or PM me) pics, maybe we can determine who actually made it, based on internal structure. I have a few valves that have weaker outputs, too, but still sound good. Makes me wonder how they were when new... and how they were utilized all those years. These old valves really are pieces of living technology history. Like the "Cold War" tube in my pics above...

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #1,088 of 2,720

Quote:
You've shown me yours...now I'll show you mine...tomorrow.

Oh great... Now I'm going to be envious because you have a nicer one, or a bigger one, or a BETTER one. That's what I get from consorting with professionals, I guess.
It's not the size or color of the bird that counts; it's the song it sings!
L3000.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #1,089 of 2,720

Quote:
I recently got some Baldwin 12AU7 tubes (Sylvania grey plates), they actually sound pretty good although I am sure they were just plugged right out from old organs.

12au7s pulled from old, working, electric organs are generally very good, because the organ companies had quality control arrangements with the tube manufacturers. I just won 4 strong RCA clear tops, pulled from Conn organs, for the measly price of $3.15 plus $5 shipping. I may be giving clear tops for Christmas & Hanukkah this year!      NOT!   I'm keeping them!

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #1,091 of 2,720

OK, here's mine...

These are probably the worst pictures I have ever taken...

I guess I should have dusted it first...

I don't even know why I included that shot...it's terrible.

Enjoy!
Quote:

Oh great... Now I'm going to be envious because you have a nicer one, or a bigger one, or a BETTER one. That's what I get from consorting with professionals, I guess.
It's not the size or color of the bird that counts; it's the song it sings!
L3000.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #1,094 of 2,720
Why would I want to build a part for a toilet..?

It has an op-amp for the output stage like the original SOHA.
Maybe it IS a SOHA...

Quote:

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,095 of 2,720
last time I saw he wrote about it is a Hybrid amps.
tube is 12AX7 and OP buffer is NE5532
single 12V power supply.
and it say "you can rolling tube in 12AU7 6DJ8 6922 ECC82
OP can NE5532 2134 ...."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back