Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Sep 11, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #1,066 of 2,720
As long as there is no Judge Judy involved...

Quote:
thanks avro, i think i'll try to set it like yours, -2 db..

come to think of it, i think it's kinda cool if we put also Judge in front of Avro_Arrow...lol

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #1,067 of 2,720
She wasted a lot of money on plastic surgery, as she is probably the fugliest jurist I've seen... next to Ruth Bader Ginsberg, that is. If you look up "two-bagger" in the dictionary, it has her picture as part of the definition.

Oh yeah, for you V2 folks or Indeed G2 tube rollers, I found this auction for RCA 12au7s at a ridiculous BIN price. Shipping is kinda pricey, but you gotta take a chance on a "new" valve at this price. I'm not going to tell you what my best offer price was that was accepted. I did it at about 2am this morning and it was basically a joke... No description is given, but they appear to be black plates and I'm guessing from the late 70s/early 80s.

Quote:
As long as there is no Judge Judy involved...

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #1,068 of 2,720
Changing the caps, power switch, I/O jacks, etc. will be the same. V2 has no trim pots for cathode biasing, though.

I have no experience with Golden Dragon tubes, but the Golden Dragon Chinese Restaurant has awesome Kung-Pao pork... Sorry, I couldn't resist.
k701smile.gif

The Rock Grotto folks have done some awesome mods. I once again recommend that everyone check them out, here.

Quote:
A couple of questions:
- i'm considering to star modding my Bravo v2, somewhere in the 3d there was a part list, but i think it was for the v1...can i use the same list anyway?
- are any good the Golden Dragon Tubes? Compared to the Sylvania or GE?

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #1,069 of 2,720

Quote:
Yeah, that's true, but most adults can't perceive freqs above 16 KHz. Sad but true... There are other effects, circuit-wise, when you swap out the MOSFETS, but you'd need to ask a real electronics guru (like Avro_Arrow) what they are.

You're right but jc22c asked about IRF630 and IRF510, and I think the frequency range with 630 is too much limited, around 10 KHz from what I read.

I found another good tube and not too expensive for replacing the 6922EH, Philips E88CC Mullard with golden pins for 35€.

Edit: Just found La Radiotechnique Gold Pins E88CC tube for 19€ and ordered it.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #1,070 of 2,720
Can this amp power the dt990/600 properly? I've read that it can but I'm still a bit sceptical since it's not an OTL. I'm considering getting this (Bravo V2 / Indeed G2) or the Phenix G3.

I listen to electronic, jazz and rock and I'm also worried that the Phenix G3 might not be fast enough compared to the Bravo/Indeed hybrid design. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #1,071 of 2,720

Quote:
Edit: Just found La Radiotechnique Gold Pins E88CC tube for 19€ and ordered it.
smile_phones.gif

Too cool! You may have the valve "coup" of the month with this tube... I hope it is as awesome as this link says it is (You'll need to scroll way down to the Mazda tubes for sale to find them.)

I haven't paid more than $20 USD plus shipping for any tube in my collection. That includes the Mullard e88cc/01 that I just take out and look at occasionally. It's just worth too much to roll.

Hey, maybe someone could start a tube rolling thread with pics of their Flavor of the Day. What do you guys think?

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #1,072 of 2,720

Quote:

Too cool! You may have the valve "coup" of the month with this tube... I hope it is as awesome as this link says it is (You'll need to scroll way down to the Mazda tubes for sale to find them.)

Looks like the french seller is into vintage stuff, he provided some pictures, you can see the "F" on the second line, I hope it's not a fake tube.

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #1,073 of 2,720

Quote:
Can this amp power the dt990/600 properly? I've read that it can but I'm still a bit sceptical since it's not an OTL. I'm considering getting this (Bravo V2 / Indeed G2) or the Phenix G3.

I listen to electronic, jazz and rock and I'm also worried that the Phenix G3 might not be fast enough compared to the Bravo/Indeed hybrid design. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Anyone?...

I find it hard to get any reply in this forum....sigh! Is it because I'm a total noob? Or is it because I ask stupid questions? I just need some help deciding because some say the Bravo/Indeed can drive the dt990/600 and some say that the Phenix G3 can as well. I just want to make sure I don't waste spending my hard earned money because I have a family support and bills to pay.

So please, anyone out there kind enough to help me? I'd be most grateful. Thanks.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #1,074 of 2,720

Quote:
Anyone?...  
I find it hard to get any reply in this forum....sigh! Is it because I'm a total noob? Or is it because I ask stupid questions? I just need some help deciding because some say the Bravo/Indeed can drive the dt990/600 and some say that the Phenix G3 can as well. I just want to make sure I don't waste spending my hard earned money because I have a family support and bills to pay.

So please, anyone out there kind enough to help me? I'd be most grateful. Thanks.

Hi, myscoobysti! Welcome to head-fi. My regrets to your wallet...

Okay, now that you've had the "official" welcome, my first question back to you is, "How much of this thread have you read?" This double question (990/600) you've asked, has been asked more than once in this thread, I think. While I haven't experienced either set of cans, I'm pretty sure the answer has been in the affirmative each time it was asked, but I could be wrong. Read through the thread or do a search for those cans with the amps in question.

Welcome aboard... You'll get used to it after a while.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #1,075 of 2,720

Quote:

Looks like the french seller is into vintage stuff, he provided some pictures, you can see the "F" on the second line, I hope it's not a fake tube.

I don't think it is, based on the following passage from Brent Jessee's site that I linked above:

"Watch for tubes labeled E88CC with brands like Valvo, R/T, RTC, Miniwatt, Dario, Philips, and Adzam. These tubes are identical to the Amperex PQ and Philips SQ (Special Quality) types more often found in America, and are perfect if the Amperex is not available. Also rare in America are these same brands made at the Philips-owned Mazda factory (La Radiotechnique) in Suresnes, France. These usually have a capital "F" in the second line of the date code. They are sweet like the Holland tubes, with a bit better detail and punch at the top end, and still have nice balanced warmth."

If it is a fake, it meets at least one qualification on paper. It looks like a particular Phillips type with a huge flash getter to me... I bet it is the real deal. I hope so for you.

I wonder if Brent Jessee would send you a pic of one of his for sale by email. Might be worth you asking him.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #1,076 of 2,720

Quote:

I dunno what impedance those headphones are. if they are low get this one, if they are high get the phenix g3

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #1,077 of 2,720
The Bravo V2 does just great with DT990/600. Try the RCA cleartop tube from the 60s, lovely bass!
Oh and the 990 with 600ohm impedance have 600 impedance
biggrin.gif
(sensitivity is 96db)

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #1,078 of 2,720

Quote:

Hi, myscoobysti! Welcome to head-fi. My regrets to your wallet...

Okay, now that you've had the "official" welcome, my first question back to you is, "How much of this thread have you read?" This double question (990/600) you've asked, has been asked more than once in this thread, I think. While I haven't experienced either set of cans, I'm pretty sure the answer has been in the affirmative each time it was asked, but I could be wrong. Read through the thread or do a search for those cans with the amps in question.

Welcome aboard... You'll get used to it after a while.

Hi, to you too Judge Buff! Thanks for the warm welcome and reply. I've been lurking here at Head-Fi for almost ten year now but only registered as a member last year and you are the first person to welcome me. Oh, and sorry to my wallet too...lol!

I've searched this forum high and low, and other forums as well. The more I searched the more confused I got. From what I've gathered, the Bravo/Indeed and Phenix G3 can drive the dt990/600 but which one is more suitable for the kind of music I listen to? Some say that the Phenix G3 is too slow for electronic music. How about Bravo/Indeed? I'm eyeing the Indeed G2 6N23P that you recommended because of the better quality build and parts. Is it suitable (dynamic enough) for electronic music?

Quote:
I dunno what impedance those headphones are. if they are low get this one, if they are high get the phenix g3

It's 600ohms. Do you own a Phenix G3?

Quote:
The Bravo V2 does just great with DT990/600. Try the RCA cleartop tube from the 60s, lovely bass!
Oh and the 990 with 600ohm impedance have 600 impedance
biggrin.gif
(sensitivity is 96db)

Thanks for being so specific. I'm actually looking for something punchy because my SRH840 is kinda letting me down on that department. Is the RCA cleartop tube fast enough for electronic music? I have no experience at all with tubes and I've not listen to a tube amp before. Hope I'll not be disappointed...

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #1,079 of 2,720
I'm pretty eclectic in my musical tastes, and I listen to a lot of electronica (yeah, I'm a cool old geezer.). That's what is so great about rolling tubes into the G2. You can easily tailor the tube to the music, especially if you set the G2 up to adjust the bias frequently (The Rock Grotto guys have an excellent thread on this.). I think you would enjoy the 6n23p (and 6n23p-ev) over a 12au7 clear top for electronica. I like clear tops for classic rock, country and jazz.

Your tastes may be greatly different, though. These Russki tubes are very good, if you get a hold of decently balanced ones from the 60s, 70s or early 80s. The 6n23p that came with my G2 is from the 80s and is very good.  If you get a G2, you'll buy other tubes, though... It's too much fun to listen to the sonic differences between tubes and then change it via the cathode bias. Sorry for my wallet, too... I stay in the Mrs.' doghouse over these "bulbs" as she calls them.

I'm pretty high on the G2. It's a good platform to listen to, modify and just enjoy. Modified, it's incredible for the price.

Quote:

Hi, to you too Judge Buff! Thanks for the warm welcome and reply. I've been lurking here at Head-Fi for almost ten year now but only registered as a member last year and you are the first person to welcome me. Oh, and sorry to my wallet too...lol!

I've searched this forum high and low, and other forums as well. The more I searched the more confused I got. From what I've gathered, the Bravo/Indeed and Phenix G3 can drive the dt990/600 but which one is more suitable for the kind of music I listen to? Some say that the Phenix G3 is too slow for electronic music. How about Bravo/Indeed? I'm eyeing the Indeed G2 6N23P that you recommended because of the better quality build and parts. Is it suitable (dynamic enough) for electronic music?

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #1,080 of 2,720
i just got my G2 it's so good for it's price, plugging it into pc is just crap..... really need a dac... luckily i have a ibasso D10 with a line out, sounds so much better....
it's so much more musical than my solid state meier Aria.... sounds alot smoother...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back