Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Jan 6, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #256 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by igor0203 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do all 6922/E88CC/ECC88 tubes fit in this amp? As I bought Russian 6N1P-EV tube and all I hear is very weak sound with lots of hiss. I tried to turn pots in both ways but with no success.

I bought a bunch of Russian 6N1P-EB's off of eBay as the listing stated that they were compatible.. they are Definately NOT Compatable. No Sound out of any of them.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #257 of 2,720
i received my amp last night. Here are some initial observations.

Tried the stock tube and did not like the harshness. Rolled in an Amperex 6922 PQ orange label and the sound is so much sweeter. I have some telefunken PCC88s, a Matsu****a/Mullard PCC88, and another Amperex 6922 PQ ready to roll. I'm spending more on tubes than the cost of the amp. Crazy.

Testing this with my MB Quart PQ85. I'll report back after burning in the amperex. So far I am happy. I just hear a low hum when I hook this up to my laptop and turn up the volume. My iphone presents no hum at all.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #258 of 2,720
Sent an email to Henry (ebay seller) regarding the blips I was hearing. He got back to me this afternoon and it turned out to be electromagnetic interference from the wireless router I have on the desk...

Turns out the either my router is very strong or this amp is very, very sensitive as the only way I can lost the blips is by going two rooms over.

Is there any way I can "shield" the amp so I can use it on the desk (was hoping to use this with my pc, where I do most of my listening) or at least in the same room?

... if not, a question for future refrence - are all tube amps sensitive to electromagnetic interference on this level? (will I ever be able to use a tube amp on my desk with my pc?)

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #260 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by 22B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i received my amp last night. Here are some initial observations.

Tried the stock tube and did not like the harshness. Rolled in an Amperex 6922 PQ orange label and the sound is so much sweeter. I have some telefunken PCC88s, a Matsu****a/Mullard PCC88, and another Amperex 6922 PQ ready to roll. I'm spending more on tubes than the cost of the amp. Crazy.

Not crazy at all, 22B... Even if you don't like their sound, they are probably considered antiques already, or will be soon. They are living history.

I have 16, from an E88CC/01 (pd $18 inc shipping) to a Siemens rebranded RCA 6922 to Mullard A Frames. If it isn't in the amp, it's on display in my curio cabinet in my study. I have 4 more valves in route.

It's not crazy... obsessive maybe, but definitely not crazy. Definitely. lol

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #261 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by budfox4life /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sent an email to Henry (ebay seller) regarding the blips I was hearing. He got back to me this afternoon and it turned out to be electromagnetic interference from the wireless router I have on the desk...

Turns out the either my router is very strong or this amp is very, very sensitive as the only way I can lost the blips is by going two rooms over.

Is there any way I can "shield" the amp so I can use it on the desk (was hoping to use this with my pc, where I do most of my listening) or at least in the same room?

... if not, a question for future refrence - are all tube amps sensitive to electromagnetic interference on this level? (will I ever be able to use a tube amp on my desk with my pc?)

deleted

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #262 of 2,720
Quote:

get an rf shield for the tube - they are available. They came with my bottlehead preamp that uses the same tube

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #263 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by CPL593H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get an rf shield for the tube - they are available. They came with my bottlehead preamp that uses the same tube

sorry for the noob question but where might I find a rf shield? Any specific retailer I should look out for/avoid?

Thanks for the response
smile_phones.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #264 of 2,720
Quote:

sorry for the noob question but where might I find a rf shield? Any specific retailer I should look out for/avoid?

Thanks for the response
smile_phones.gif

Short Shield for 9 pin tube sockets

Here's one. Normally you use a tube socket that this thing hooks on to so it won't fall off but I think you could just put it over the tube. Its just a piece of aluminum tubing, you could use heavy aluminum foil and some tape and make a tube to try it out.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #265 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not crazy at all, 22B... Even if you don't like their sound, they are probably considered antiques already, or will be soon. They are living history.

I have 16, from an E88CC/01 (pd $18 inc shipping) to a Siemens rebranded RCA 6922 to Mullard A Frames. If it isn't in the amp, it's on display in my curio cabinet in my study. I have 4 more valves in route.

It's not crazy... obsessive maybe, but definitely not crazy. Definitely. lol

I didn't think about displaying these. That's a good idea. I have 6 kinds right now to play with.
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought a tube online and could not believe what actually came in the mail yesterday. It sounds amazing and makes the other tubes I have sound confined and limiting. It is supposed to be one of the best 6dj8 style tube ever made. Can anyone guess what I received? Happy camper here

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #266 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by 22B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is supposed to be one of the best 6dj8 style tube ever made. Can anyone guess what I received?

Probably a JAN-Sylvania 7308? Could be also a JJ E88CC Gold?
regular_smile .gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #270 of 2,720
Got my tube amp today (finally !!!) and its not working...
frown.gif

Connected the power to the mains, added the tube, connected my mp3 player via RCA and to the 3.5mm input (using a RCA to 3.5mm jack and using two different cables that are tested to work on other equipment) and I switched the amp to ON (the tube LED starts to glow and the other LEDs switch on) but no sound comes out.
frown.gif

I tried my PC, mp3 player as sources and tried two different headphones but no sound comes out. I tried changing the tube to see if that worked but that too does not work.

I mailed Henry but I was wondering if I am making some stupid mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back