Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Jan 8, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #271 of 2,720
I noticed that a certain "warm up time" was necessary with certain tubes (my RFT ECC88 require at least 1 minute) before it output sound, but I suppose you're trying with the 6N11 tube and that you've aleady tried to wait a little time.
Maybe a bad unit, bah, ****s happens !
I'm pretty sure that Henry will help you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #272 of 2,720
Great guesses guys. I took a pic of this tube in the amp. It's a late 50s Amperex 6922 PQ pinched waist D getter with gold pins. I wonder how this compares to a CCa. I read that the CCa and pinched waist Amperex are the best in this tube type. I can't wait until the amp and tube is burned in. I only have about 30 hours on it so far. My last tube to test is a 6dj8 PQ A frame which should sound good as well.
floatsmile.png

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #273 of 2,720
Hey it started working all of a sudden !

The JAN Philips 6222 tube sounds so clear and lush its amazing ! If I had to spend $150 for this kind of sound I would gladly done so.
smily_headphones1.gif

For those on the Sylvana 6DJ8, try the Philips JAN 6222, IMHO its a much more transparent tube and the low end has a bit more punch.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #275 of 2,720
^^ Yeah I am too ! I was waiting for over 1 month for this amp. I ended up getting 2 tubes for this amp also. And after all that waiting when I found out that the amp did not work I was extremely disappointed.

I am now hastily writing another message to Henry so that he knows that the amp has started working and I am very happy with the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #276 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by 22B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great guesses guys. I took a pic of this tube in the amp. It's a late 50s Amperex 6922 PQ pinched waist D getter with gold pins. I wonder how this compares to a CCa. I read that the CCa and pinched waist Amperex are the best in this tube type. I can't wait until the amp and tube is burned in. I only have about 30 hours on it so far. My last tube to test is a 6dj8 PQ A frame which should sound good as well.
floatsmile.png

The A Frames I have are the best sounding tubes so far. Though my D getter PCC88 is in the mix, too. I don't know if anything would sound better than a pinched-waist, though. That tube type is just legendary... Epic!

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #278 of 2,720
My old bugle boy makes the amp put out alot more heat then when using the other tubes, it also seems to take longer to heat up. i wonder if the new tubes are just more efficient, heh.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #279 of 2,720
Also by the way my Amp started shorting out, happened to me twice, i think its the power cable/unit itself is the DC power supply universal with anything i can pick up here in the states since i know other users reported issues with it as well

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #280 of 2,720
Well Folks...

My Bravo Audio tube hybrid arrives today after being in transit for 15 days (excluding weekends and holidays) and guess what?

It makes no sound and just pulses. The blue tube LED and a red LED just pulse like the heart of Frankenstein waking up!!

What!! Power supply problem? I don't have another 24V 1 Amp supply to try it with...

I was REALLY ready to hear this puppy!!

frown.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #281 of 2,720
such terrible news for a first post

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #282 of 2,720
Sorry to hear about the problems. I hope Henry makes things right for you guys.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #283 of 2,720
Yeah...I have had a look and the Power Supply is okay. It must be one of the 2N3906's are bad.

Hoping for a replacement from Henry. Shot him an email, maybe I will get a reply tomorrow. I too had already bought some nice 6922's that I had sitting here, ready to try out.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #284 of 2,720
Yes the power supply is definitely a bit iffy. One end of mine is a bit loose and I will have to take care not to strain it as it will in all probability snap if I pull it with some force. But Henry is a really nice person to deal with and I have no doubt you will be satisfied with the amp in the end. I am really enjoying mine right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #285 of 2,720
About the best upgrade you can make for the Bravo is to replace the cheap 1A switching power supply with a better quality 2-2.5A switcher or regulated supply. We did an A-B test with mine a recent mini-meet and the better quality 2A supply sounded much better.

Using a larger power supply will not harm the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back