Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Jan 4, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #241 of 2,720
Do all 6922/E88CC/ECC88 tubes fit in this amp? As I bought Russian 6N1P-EV tube and all I hear is very weak sound with lots of hiss. I tried to turn pots in both ways but with no success.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #242 of 2,720
If I'm not mistaken, that valve requires double the heater current of a 6dj8 and is not directly interchangeable. There is a wiki article about this. Sorry...

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #244 of 2,720
I tried 6N1P-EV and 6N1P-VI but couldn't get any sound out of them even after modding the pots.
That's strange because these tubes should work with a 5.7-7V filament voltage, and the bravo is set at 6.3V, maybe it can't supply the necessary current (600mA ±50).

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #245 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Henry, the Ebay seller of the Bravo said that the amp would be available again when they found a suitable replacement tube, as the original NOS tube that was used is no longer available. He said it should likely be within a couple of weeks.

Thanks!
Wow you guys must have bought him out. ha

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #246 of 2,720
Well, cool deal,

Amp came today, very smart looking, very well packaged.

So far, still burning it in, will hold out thoughts until it's had about 100 hours on it. (13 so far)

Have a couple initial woes though,

1. My model seems to be one of the one's with the funky power cord connection, hissing and restarting if jolted (not really an issue because it mainly sits still)
2. No "low" setting for input, volume knob pretty much inadequate for phones I'm using, I am using this as a desktop computer amp, hooked in loop, SPDIF out of Soundcard, into MF V-DAC, RCA into Bravo Amp, the gain is HUGE. Have to set system volume at 4%, player volume (foobar) at about -40db, and then the amp at about 7:30 to have a comfortable volume
3. Noticeable hiss, got quieter when I switched out stock tube for JAN 6DJ8, I like to listen to music quietly, is this just the characteristic "tube" hiss? or am I missing something. (Also played with the 2 yellow pots (trim pots?) a bit, there was noticeably more signal interference in the left channel, and moving the right pot about 10 degrees clockwise seemed to solve the hissing entirely, however when I put the cover back on, the hissing (now equalized) resumed at a base level on both channels, still audible on the volume I like to listen at.

Initially, I think that my soundcard (X-Fi Xtreme Gamer) actually did a pretty good job at driving my SRH840's (they did it without hiss too!), and compared to the combo I'm running right now, kind of wondering how much of a difference this amp actually makes... (be honest, what do you folks think?)

Any thoughts on how to go about these issues?

(Some of you may be wondering why the heck I am using a $300 DAC and a $40 amp, let me assure you that far from ignorance, my plan was to start with this amp as a reference, and then move to a WA6 later this year when funds are available, my reasoning being that a good DAC will always be useful, and I would rather sink investment in a good $300 level DAC, rather than a lo/midrange tube amp in the $300 level)

I'll definitely have fun with this one, just a bit concerned about the issues listed above, thoughts welcome.

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #247 of 2,720
I've got Mullard PCC88 and it sounds screw**g awesome.
smily_headphones1.gif
Much much better than stock tube.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #248 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeTiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, cool deal,

Amp came today, very smart looking, very well packaged.

So far, still burning it in, will hold out thoughts until it's had about 100 hours on it. (13 so far)

Have a couple initial woes though,

1. My model seems to be one of the one's with the funky power cord connection, hissing and restarting if jolted (not really an issue because it mainly sits still)
2. No "low" setting for input, volume knob pretty much inadequate for phones I'm using, I am using this as a desktop computer amp, hooked in loop, SPDIF out of Soundcard, into MF V-DAC, RCA into Bravo Amp, the gain is HUGE. Have to set system volume at 4%, player volume (foobar) at about -40db, and then the amp at about 7:30 to have a comfortable volume
3. Noticeable hiss, got quieter when I switched out stock tube for JAN 6DJ8, I like to listen to music quietly, is this just the characteristic "tube" hiss? or am I missing something. (Also played with the 2 yellow pots (trim pots?) a bit, there was noticeably more signal interference in the left channel, and moving the right pot about 10 degrees clockwise seemed to solve the hissing entirely, however when I put the cover back on, the hissing (now equalized) resumed at a base level on both channels, still audible on the volume I like to listen at.

Initially, I think that my soundcard (X-Fi Xtreme Gamer) actually did a pretty good job at driving my SRH840's (they did it without hiss too!), and compared to the combo I'm running right now, kind of wondering how much of a difference this amp actually makes... (be honest, what do you folks think?)

Any thoughts on how to go about these issues?

(Some of you may be wondering why the heck I am using a $300 DAC and a $40 amp, let me assure you that far from ignorance, my plan was to start with this amp as a reference, and then move to a WA6 later this year when funds are available, my reasoning being that a good DAC will always be useful, and I would rather sink investment in a good $300 level DAC, rather than a lo/midrange tube amp in the $300 level)

I'll definitely have fun with this one, just a bit concerned about the issues listed above, thoughts welcome.

I do not have any hiss with the Bravo with any of the 6 tube types I've tried. The pots set the bias on the tube right and left channels. You just changed that bias on one channel. There's something wrong with your amp I'd see if you can get a replacement.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #249 of 2,720
I have been loving this little guy for well over a month now (I think the stock tube sounds great, but without reference to any other tube only compared to my Total Bithead). My power toggle stopped working (well it takes like 10 tries to get it to catch), but Henry responded quickly and shipped a replacement to me immediately (I am replacing it myself). Seems like a good guy.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #250 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been loving this little guy for well over a month now (I think the stock tube sounds great, but without reference to any other tube only compared to my Total Bithead). My power toggle stopped working (well it takes like 10 tries to get it to catch), but Henry responded quickly and shipped a replacement to me immediately (I am replacing it myself). Seems like a good guy.

He definitely doesn't want this community to turn on him for lack of support...

If you like the stock tube that much, a 6922 will probably light-up your eyes. Give me a couple more days...

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #253 of 2,720
got mine today after placing the order based on this thread....

seems I am suffering from the same "hiss" problem as LeTiger. I can also hear an almost constant "blip-blip,blip" reminiscent of a record that has gone past its last song.

being that this is my first tube amp, I am curious to find out if these are common tube characteristics (if so, I will need a solid state amp) or if I just got a defective amp

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #255 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by budfox4life /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got mine today after placing the order based on this thread....

seems I am suffering from the same "hiss" problem as LeTiger. I can also hear an almost constant "blip-blip,blip" reminiscent of a record that has gone past its last song.

being that this is my first tube amp, I am curious to find out if these are common tube characteristics (if so, I will need a solid state amp) or if I just got a defective amp

If you are using a computer for source it may be noise from devices like hard drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back