Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Nov 14, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #76 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amatsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input. Does it drive your HD650 decently?

This little guy is driving my HD600 with plenty of headroom to spare. As to dampening and such, I have nothing better with which to compare. Sounds great, though.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #77 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amatsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input. Does it drive your HD650 decently?

The Bravo has a lot of gain - I can barely turn the volume pot up to the level where the channels balance when using the y1. Volume-wise, it doesnt have an issue, but (imo) it doesn't quite have the finesse that I have heard with other amplifiers. This is using the stock tube, so I may try to get a 6DJ8 to roll and compare.

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #78 of 2,720
I am in the process of writing a review and will be comparing it with a similar price cmoy amp (penguin caffeine ultra, yes I know not the same type of amp but I thought it would be good for the budget head-fi'er to know which route they would like to go. And yes I do know they don't make the penguin caffeine anymore) I just bought the srh440 so I am in the process of burning those in as well so once its got a 50 or so hours of burn in, let the games begin. I will also be using a pair of ultrasone hfi 550's in the review.

Nov 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #79 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by blippster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bravo has a lot of gain - I can barely turn the volume pot up to the level where the channels balance when using the y1.

Ha, I now have this exact setup. My y1 just showed up and I am using it to feed the Bravo. I was hoping for magic from this DAC, but knew to expect only minor improvement. I can hear more detail and sharpness in the treble, but that's about it so far.

Anyway, with the y1 being very hot I am only able to turn the amp to 9:30 before it's too loud. I wonder if maybe this amp needs a cooler DAC so that sweet Class A can actually get used...

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #80 of 2,720
Can we just remember that this is like a sub $50 amp and I'm 100% sure it punches above its weight but isn't designed to get 100% out of the HD600. Just in case people are looking at your posts ashtray9 and think that this amp is a perfect match for harder to drive phones.

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #81 of 2,720
i have my for about a week, i use the Ibasso D2 as the DAC and use the line out to RAC to connect to the Bravo amp then drive my K701, it is getting better and better

volume setting for the K701 is about 10-11 o'clock, the sound is full of detail, i finally get the low(bass) out of the K701

best for violin and the vocal with my K701, i am very happy with it, that is the first amp i have

my Little Dot MK VII and a Yulong DAH1 MK II DAC are on thire way to me

i will write another review to compare with the Little Dot MK VII by using the Yulong DAH1 DAC

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #82 of 2,720
Nov 18, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #83 of 2,720
I just got mine. Yay!

Sounds nice - will burn in the stock tube and then try the tube upgrade before I comment seriously about the sound.

The upgraded RCA connectors are strong.

What I can say about performance is that this amp has a lot of gain and good power. No problem driving 600ohm vintage DT990s in terms of control or gain, my K340s have more and deeper bass with this than with my Heed Canamp too, they sound a bit richer, and tons of gain to spare even with these (I tried them on a Graham Slee Novo and it couldn't even provide enough gain to get decent volume levels).

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #84 of 2,720
This is tempting since it's so cheap, but I'll save up for something better. The build has me worried.

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #85 of 2,720
Is it me!! or have i got a duff one!!When i plug my mp3 player into this Bravo,with the mp3 gain up full and bravo gain up full as well ,i don't have as much volume as i do with just the mp3 on it's own,it is quieter with added distortion.This happens on all mp3's and headphones,and also with different valves.Can i adjust anything or do i just use it as a paperweight.
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #86 of 2,720
I presume you received a bad unit, hey it's just chinese crap after all !
I think you can tell about it to the seller, but if you've to return the bad unit to China, it will cost you some money
frown.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #89 of 2,720
Don't see the point in that,they ain't gonna send me a new one.Have fired the LD1+ back up and have put the Bravo on the desk in front of the computer screen to remind me not to bid on fleabay for stuff i really don't need.
gs1000.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #90 of 2,720
^ I bet that they would make good on it, wallace, if you notified them. You have nothing to lose by notifying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back