Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Nov 7, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #63 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by lecky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luckily my tube order hasn't shipped so I can change to a Sylvania JAN 6DJ8. Thanks Oskari!

I too have a Sylvania 6DJ8 waiting to roll. I really love the way this tube looks with the green lettering. I made sure to have the triodes matched and balanced since this one tube does both channels.

That reminds me, how do amps work with a tube for each channel if each tube has two triodes within itself?

I ordered my Bravo about two weeks ago. Hopefully it gets here soon.

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #65 of 2,720
My Sylvania 6dj8 arrived, it's cute. It gives an idea of how tiny this amp is going to be. Mine's been a little more than two weeks now. They say to expect 10 - 15 business days plus a couple of days for them to ship, so it should come this week...

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #66 of 2,720
While I'm waiting for my Indeed to arrive, I'm getting a few 6dj8 equivalents to roll. I just got a Phillips JAN 6922 and I have a 1960's era Amperex ECC88 Orange label on the way. I'm looking for a Mullard equivalent, too.

I think it will be cool literally listening to electronics "history."

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #68 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by lecky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JB, I'll look forward to hearing your impressions. I hope the amp is able to justify the purchase of the tubes.

No worries, lecky... I am shopping for bargains. And besides, if they suck in this little amp, I'll just put them on display in the curio cabinet that's in my study.

My grandchildren can sell them to future geeks like me for college pocket-money.

Twain was once asked for investment advice. He supposedly replied, "Buy land... They aren't making any more of it." While there are modern tubes being made, the general consensus is that they aren't as good as the antiques. Even if the old tubes aren't functionally excellent, they are still old.
atsmile.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #69 of 2,720
just ordered this amp as well. it will be my first amp, hope i enjoy it. barely owned my ath-m50 a few weeks now and already buying an amp. think im becoming obsessed. I know that my ath-m50, and my westone um1's are both often said do not need an amp, but this lil thing looked too cool to pass up. ive been seeking out a portable option but for the price i figured id give it a go since im not looking to go broke with this new found obsession of mine.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #70 of 2,720
Hey. Any news? I'm interested in this amp but I would like to hear more opinions about it before buying. Any of you has had the chance to test/compare/review it?

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #71 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amatsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey. Any news? I'm interested in this amp but I would like to hear more opinions about it before buying. Any of you has had the chance to test/compare/review it?

If I am not mistaken, Bravo and Indeed headphone amps have similar circuitry, however the parts maybe different. You will find under the thread, Indeed etc, those who had bought the Indeed brand wrote a review on it. I bought 2 units of the Indeed headphone amp. I recommend it.

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #72 of 2,720
can the amp on this be changed later for an upgraded sound? i know nothing about doing that but i know it seems to be pretty common pratice on the forums here to tinker with different amps for different sounds.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #73 of 2,720
My Bravo arrived today, even smaller than I had expected. I managed to snag mine at a better than average price, so I can't say I have to many complaints.

I'm currently running it off a y1 DAC for source. Sonically I think it's decent, no giant-killer but a pleasant enough sound. From memory it has a pretty similar tone to the MHSS but is slightly less transparent, especially in the mids.

Tweaks-wise, you could probably roll tubes and output caps, and perhaps increase the power supply capacitor further if you remove the top panel. Beyond that you might be better off with a more advanced design to begin with.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #74 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by blippster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Bravo arrived today, even smaller than I had expected. I managed to snag mine at a better than average price, so I can't say I have to many complaints.

I'm currently running it off a y1 DAC for source. Sonically I think it's decent, no giant-killer but a pleasant enough sound. From memory it has a pretty similar tone to the MHSS but is slightly less transparent, especially in the mids.

Tweaks-wise, you could probably roll tubes and output caps, and perhaps increase the power supply capacitor further if you remove the top panel. Beyond that you might be better off with a more advanced design to begin with.

Thanks for the input. Does it drive your HD650 decently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back