Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jan 15, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #5,567 of 6,668
The volume knob on my 120ll is a dream.  It seems to have almost infinite settings (not really, but it's hard to hear changes when you barely move it).   My Pono had much bigger jumps in volume each time I moved the volume control, and it was hard to keep it from being too loud or too soft.  The 120ll can be dialed exactly where you want it.  

I don't use the locks, just have the screen set to go dark after I've had time to choose a song and then slip the device back in my pocket.  The side buttons can be accessed while in my shirt pocket by feel, making them very useful indeed.  

I have no issue with brightness as I listen when I walk.  I listen my wife when I'm in bed, not music.  

And yes, having gone through four other DAPs before this, I can safely say this is the best I have had, on all fronts.  Pricey, but the best.  No buyer's remorse here.  

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #5,568 of 6,668
  The volume knob on my 120ll is a dream.  It seems to have almost infinite settings (not really, but it's hard to hear changes when you barely move it).   My Pono had much bigger jumps in volume each time I moved the volume control, and it was hard to keep it from being too loud or too soft.  The 120ll can be dialed exactly where you want it.  

I don't use the locks, just have the screen set to go dark after I've had time to choose a song and then slip the device back in my pocket.  The side buttons can be accessed while in my shirt pocket by feel, making them very useful indeed.  

I have no issue with brightness as I listen when I walk.  I listen my wife when I'm in bed, not music.  

And yes, having gone through four other DAPs before this, I can safely say this is the best I have had, on all fronts.  Pricey, but the best.  No buyer's remorse here.  

Thank you all for your responses. I am really looking forward to its arrival.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #5,569 of 6,668
  A silly question perhaps, can I actually plug in 2 earpieces at the same time?

One in the 3.5mm and another in 2.5mm?

Here`s a shot of my 120ii running a standard T5p from the 3.5 and and AKT5p from the 2.5.  I was toggling back and forth to compare them . . . .   Like the previous reply stated, only one plays at a time, but the `balanced` button on the volume screen makes it easy to toggle. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #5,571 of 6,668
Here`s a shot of my 120ii running a standard T5p from the 3.5 and and AKT5p from the 2.5.  I was toggling back and forth to compare them . . . .   Like the previous reply stated, only one plays at a time, but the `balanced` button on the volume screen makes it easy to toggle. 

Which headphone do you prefer? How are the sonically different?

I mean apart from the benefits of running one in balanced. :wink:

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #5,572 of 6,668
  Nice case.  (I have the same one.)

Unfortunately I ruined that orange one by trying to give it a `stressed` look (soaking it in tea) - it fell apart.  Now I use one of the mythical non-crock wine red leather cases, and just got a matching wine red leather case for my smartphone (which i realize is a bit lame): 

Which headphone do you prefer? How are the sonically different?

I mean apart from the benefits of running one in balanced.
wink.gif

I owned the standard T5p, but recabled for 2.5 balanced.  I sold it when I heard the AKT5p.  The latter is better sonically, for me : more extended and satisfying low end; most of the sibilance-prone-ness smoothed over. I also enjoy the AKT5p EQ setting with most headphones, not only the beyers.  I am interested to hear the new 2.o version of the T5p.  (but more interested in the Ether C)  I love closed headphones ! 

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #5,573 of 6,668
Message from the Massdrop team on the AK100ii drop:

Our vendor just reached out, and they have some unfortunate news to share with the group. Due to an error on the vendor's part, they allocated the group's units to another order. Whenever we launch a drop, we make sure that the vendor has enough units to fulfill the group's order. This protocol was followed for the Astell and Kern AK100II Black, but the vendor’s warehouse team didn’t put a hold on our units as instructed.

As soon as we received the news, we contacted our other vendors in an effort to source this unit. Unfortunately, due to the size of our order, no one was able to accommodate our request. Additionally, the alternatives that were offered weren’t able to meet the specs of the AK100II.

As a result, we will be canceling the drop and issuing all group members full refunds for their orders. Refunds will be applied to your payment method within 1-3 business days. As a small token of appreciation for your continued support of the community, our vendor will also be issuing everyone $25 in the form of Massdrop credit.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and have forwarded feedback to our vendor. We have also added new checks and balances for this vendor in order to ensure this doesn't happen again.

If you have any concerns on how things were handled by us, please reach out athttps://www.massdrop.com/support and we will be sure to do our best for future drops. Thanks for your support, and we hope to better serve you and the community in the future.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #5,574 of 6,668

Our vendor just reached out, and they have some unfortunate news to share with the group. Due to an error on the vendor's part, they allocated the group's units to another order. Whenever we launch a drop, we make sure that the vendor has enough units to fulfill the group's order. This protocol was followed for the Astell and Kern AK100II Black, but the vendor’s warehouse team didn’t put a hold on our units as instructed.

As soon as we received the news, we contacted our other vendors in an effort to source this unit. Unfortunately, due to the size of our order, no one was able to accommodate our request. Additionally, the alternatives that were offered weren’t able to meet the specs of the AK100II.

As a result, we will be canceling the drop and issuing all group members full refunds for their orders. Refunds will be applied to your payment method within 1-3 business days. As a small token of appreciation for your continued support of the community, our vendor will also be issuing everyone $25 in the form of Massdrop credit.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and have forwarded feedback to our vendor. We have also added new checks and balances for this vendor in order to ensure this doesn't happen again.

If you have any concerns on how things were handled by us, please reach out athttps://www.massdrop.com/support and we will be sure to do our best for future drops. Thanks for your support, and we hope to better serve you and the community in the future.

That is some BS, they need to make good and give people the item they paid for.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #5,575 of 6,668
I don't know why they can't simply ship the units out as they become available.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #5,576 of 6,668

That's a scary line.  So they investigated alternatives, would people have had a choice?  Or would they just have received an alternative if it "met specs"?  I can just imagine the level of pissed people would have been if they were shipped something else that they didn't order.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #5,577 of 6,668
Many who joined the drop are just furious. I may not be furious but am definitely disappointed. Was really looking forward to this DAP.

May be I should just buy a Mojo and stack it with my Fiio X3ii. I am not a big fan of stacking though.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #5,579 of 6,668
At the beginning, there was no limit. Perhaps they thought an about a dozen units, a bit more than ak240, and where overflowed by the demand. But the explanation that AK stepped in to order the vendor not to deliver seems more real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back