Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jan 12, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #5,536 of 6,668
Mother cracker!!! I didn't know it was limited to 75 units! I was watching this all day, when it was at 3 people.

Fricking frack!

I guess all one can do is wait for another drop. That's pretty sad that it didn't clearly state there was a limit to the number of units. I was only watching the "7 days left" notice.

*sigh*

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #5,537 of 6,668
Mother cracker!!! I didn't know it was limited to 75 units! I was watching this all day, when it was at 3 people.

Fricking frack!

I guess all one can do is wait for another drop. That's pretty sad that it didn't clearly state there was a limit to the number of units. I was only watching the "7 days left" notice.

*sigh*

Yes, I don't think they had the 'Limited to 75 Units' on the page in the morning when the drop opened.

But this drop sure did attract a lot of people. I'm sure, many who couldn't grab one would be going and requesting the drop again.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #5,538 of 6,668

Yes, I don't think they had the 'Limited to 75 Units' on the page in the morning when the drop opened.

But this drop sure did attract a lot of people. I'm sure, many who couldn't grab one would be going and requesting the drop again.

Yep, I've requested the drop again and as of right now it's at 153 users requested. That's nearly the 200 requests needed for them to contact the vendor again. I really hope they are able to procure more units... I've been looking for something better than the Fiio X5, but cheaper than the X7 or similar DAPs.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #5,540 of 6,668

They buy a multiple item amount up front at a reduced price, and the more people select it the lower the price goes (to a point).  Works out for the supplier and for the consumer.  

I did some reading about massdrop. I have seen it mentioned but didn't really look into what it actually is. I have to say, very interesting concept, when it works of course. $459 for a 100ii, grats to everyone that got it, I paid $550 for mine used, pretty much mint, but still used.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #5,541 of 6,668
I bought my Shure 846 for $775 from them.  It worked out fine, except there was tax (California) on it.  
angry_face.gif
 Still, nearly a couple of hundred less than buying it on Amazon.  Mass drop seems pretty legit, I had no issues.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #5,543 of 6,668
Took the limited promotional offer before end of last year and got the AK380 and amp for a cheaper bundling price. Sold the 120ii and incurred heavy loss, only fetched about 1/3 of what I paid for it. Sold it at a second hand store and not online where better prices could be negotiated because wanted to get back some cash quickly to compensate for the intense wallet bleeding.

The new AKM AK4490s sound incredibly dynamic, with much improved instruments separation, but the 120ii had comparable, if not better bass. Overall the AK380 sounds much warmer and less cold and analytical, and looks extremely stylish and impressive (even more with the amp mounted). The 320 had the same kind of improved dynamism and separation but I 'foolishly' opted for the 380 because
- I adore the angular design (the isosceles triangles and sharp thin edges / angles makes me feel like I'm holding a mini Lamborghini [which also holds and plays fantastic music])
- The color of the DAP (a very sleek metallic copper)
- how the amp was specifically designed for the 380 and not the 320 (the obvious color continuity, how the diamond shaped angles integrate with the 380 design underneath the volume knob, if you fit the 320 on the 380 amp the amp sticks out from the sides since the 320 has narrower slanted sides)

In the end it was a decision where vanity and tremendous love for the design and cosmetics and the expand-ability played just as much role in convincing me as the sound did. Of course the bundle promotion, the Christmas atmosphere, the 256GB storage, native DSD playback also played some parts.

I do miss my 120ii occasionally as I also liked the design very much and it held much more ergonomically in the hand, I also liked the crocodile style leather case very much but I need to move on.   

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #5,544 of 6,668
  Took the limited promotional offer before end of last year and got the AK380 and amp for a cheaper bundling price. Sold the 120ii and incurred heavy loss, only fetched about 1/3 of what I paid for it. Sold it at a second hand store and not online where better prices could be negotiated because wanted to get back some cash quickly to compensate for the intense wallet bleeding.

Love that phrase, and congrats on the new gear.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #5,545 of 6,668
but the 120ii had comparable, if not better bass. Overall the AK380 sounds much warmer and less cold and analytical,

The 380 must be d@mn near dark-sounding to make the 120ii sound cold and analytical. That's how I felt the FiiO X7 sounded when compared to the AK120ii.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #5,546 of 6,668

The new AKM AK4490s sound incredibly dynamic, with much improved instruments separation, but the 120ii had comparable, if not better bass. Overall the AK380 sounds much warmer and less cold and analytical, and looks extremely stylish and impressive (even more with the amp mounted). The 320 had the same kind of improved dynamism and separation but I 'foolishly' opted for the 380 because
- I adore the angular design (the isosceles triangles and sharp thin edges / angles makes me feel like I'm holding a mini Lamborghini [which also holds and plays fantastic music])
- The color of the DAP (a very sleek metallic copper)
- how the amp was specifically designed for the 380 and not the 320 (the obvious color continuity, how the diamond shaped angles integrate with the 380 design underneath the volume knob, if you fit the 320 on the 380 amp the amp sticks out from the sides since the 320 has narrower slanted sides)

In the end it was a decision where vanity and tremendous love for the design and cosmetics and the expand-ability played just as much role in convincing me as the sound did. Of course the bundle promotion, the Christmas atmosphere, the 256GB storage, native DSD playback also played some parts.

I do miss my 120ii occasionally as I also liked the design very much and it held much more ergonomically in the hand, I also liked the crocodile style leather case very much but I need to move on.   

Totally understandable. These are luxury goods, so aesthetics and all the other feelings invovled in getting something premium/lmited applies.

Not everyone can understand, but on Head-Fi you've got friends who know what you feel. Haha. That being said... I'm rocking the JR right now
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #5,547 of 6,668
The 380 must be d@mn near dark-sounding to make the 120ii sound cold and analytical. That's how I felt the FiiO X7 sounded when compared to the AK120ii.

I have found the AK DAPs that used the Cirrus Logic 4398 (100ii, 120ii, 240) relatively thin and bright sounding compared to the new '3 series' of DAPs. 

The 380 introduces more warmth but I wouldn't say it's dark, however I have been using it with Layla and the combo sounds really 'dark, rich, lush, and full'.

I find the definition of 'lush' in the 'Describing Sound A Glossary' quite pertinent to what I am now hearing: 

"
A "lush" sound has a sense of warmth and fullness. Notes are more authoritative and have a sense of life about them. It is a sound free of any sibilance or brightness. It does not mean colored, however. It is an open and inviting sound enveloping the listener into its soundstage"

What sound to you prefer? If I remember correctly you are a huge fan of the 120ii. Maybe you should give the 380 / 3 series AK DAPs a listen sometime. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #5,549 of 6,668
I have found the AK DAPs that used the Cirrus Logic 4398 (100ii, 120ii, 240) relatively thin and bright sounding compared to the new '3 series' of DAPs. 

The 380 introduces more warmth but I wouldn't say it's dark, however I have been using it with Layla and the combo sounds really 'dark, rich, lush, and full'.

I find the definition of 'lush' in the 'Describing Sound A Glossary' quite pertinent to what I am now hearing: 

"A "lush" sound has a sense of warmth and fullness. Notes are more authoritative and have a sense of life about them. It is a sound free of any sibilance or brightness. It does not mean colored, however. It is an open and inviting sound enveloping the listener into its soundstage"

What sound to you prefer? If I remember correctly you are a huge fan of the 120ii. Maybe you should give the 380 / 3 series AK DAPs a listen sometime. 

I agree with your observation re: cirrus 4398. Here is my "lush-est" setup: ak100ii to mojo to LC to balanced lcd2 rev1 NO FAZOR. That is THE lush-est for me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back