Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
May 11, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #4,037 of 6,668
  +1

The AK100ii was significantly better than I thought. People say the DX90 can be compared to it, but IMHO I think the AK100ii offers a better sound. Not by a huge margin, but significant enough that I care. The UI and build quality is even better of course. The DX90's UI is more than acceptable to me (especaily since I've gotten used to it).

I have both. I was a bit hesitant about getting the AK100ii because I was generally quite happy with the DX90, however I just got tired of the UI. The DX90 does have some advantages over the 100ii (proper line out, more powerful amp stage, user replaceable battery. easier to use the microSD port). On first comparisons I thought the sound was quite similar, but after a while with the 100ii I think there's some real advantages - while the DX90 does have small details, in the 100ii all the instruments come together much better (better musicality, for the lack of a better term). I also think that it has significantly better bass - it digs deeper into the basement, and is more articulate.

And regarding the UI, my inner audiophool wants to say that it shouldn't matter because it's all about the music. However, I do find that, with better UI, I am more likely to listen to a wider variety of albums compared with the DX90. And, also, having that beautiful image quality of the album artwork adds that nostalgic element of listening to music while looking at the record/CD cover art. In the DX90 it's way too small to convey that feeling, but in the 100ii the graphic is so beautiful and clear! I know it sounds silly but it really does add to the listening experience imho.

There are still some UI features that I would love for AK to change: for example, I'd love more shuffle options (such as shuffle albums). But in general I'm very happy with the 100ii. I do think that their pricing is through the roof though (I only bought mine when I found it used for a very reasonable price - essentially I payed the same as a new Jnr would cost).

May 12, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #4,038 of 6,668
I loved the ak100ii, it's an incredible value for an AK device. It is, to my ears, 99.99% of the sound of the 240. Storage and amp power were by far the biggest differences.

Agreed. The AK100 II is IMO, the best logical choice for the entire AK lineup. You get most of the sound quality for a lower price. Besides, they look really pretty, too.

@intlsubband I agree with you regarding the importance of a UI (along with build and design). The AK's UI is far more fluid, attractive and easy to use than that of the DX50/90 and the X1/3/5, for example. It makes listening to music a far more enjoyable experience. After all, it's not just about how the music sounds, but also about how the music is accessed.

May 12, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #4,039 of 6,668
I love the UI and aesthetics of the AK devices. I also have a fiio X1 and X3,which I still use. Different sound signature for sure, and awesome daps that sound fun. UI is not comparable though.

I just picked up a zx2...another beautiful device. Going to do some comparisons with it and my other daps. Zx2 has a sound signature closer to the X3, while the AK devices have a little less bass. Noise floor is lower in AK as well, not sure about the zx2 yet, too soon.

May 14, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #4,040 of 6,668
Yeah, I am growing weary with this kludge. Sound is great and it is a beautiful piece of hardware. But the software, in a word, sucks. Should have run away when I read Android. Probably going to get rid of it.

Edit: on the other hand, it is perfect for what I use it for. I stream to it listening to my GS1000's. So I'm keeping it. I haven't ever tried to upload music to it in months.

May 16, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #4,042 of 6,668
And then my office takes a power hit. After I reboot everything the stupid thing needed to rebuild the library. Which takes a significant amount of time. My iPhone is a LOT less hassle. So I'll probably get rid of this thing and get a Touch for the office.

May 16, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #4,043 of 6,668
Hi JR, It is good to get your feedback from your experience, would you mind sharing with us how long it takes to rebuild the library and how many Gb's you are talking about?

Others, including myself who are considering buying one would like to hear what you have to say, good and bad?

Also, what other DAP's have you tried that you could compare it to re sound quality and UI experience, etc.?

Thanks, L-M

May 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #4,044 of 6,668
If it's like the old units you can opt out of scan at turn on which is useful on a device than can hold a lot. It will remember the library until you ask to scan manually. You should be able to hot swap cards and use them almost immediately with folder view. It's actually pretty well thought out. You just need to use it's functions and options.

I personally hear a difference between the new models with an expected progression and the 100II a clear step down from the 240, at least when I compared them with Angies.

May 17, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #4,045 of 6,668
hi there,

Just got my new ak100 ii, after upgrade to 1.12... I did a factory reset, and it format all my internal storage.

is there anyone can upload me the default demo songs to me please....  Thanks

May 17, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #4,046 of 6,668
Coming from the 'old' AK100 series, I'm amazed how fast my AK120ii is scanning my 64GB SD card with around 50GB of songs - it's almost instantaneous...

And the wireless streaming feature works like an Apple product - seamless...this was unexpected.

Well done, AK, as it took more than a few minutes to scan songs on my old RWAK100s - this drove me nuts.

May 17, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #4,047 of 6,668
12Quote:
  hi there,

Just got my new ak100 ii, after upgrade to 1.12... I did a factory reset, and it format all my internal storage.

is there anyone can upload me the default demo songs to me please....  Thanks

This explains why my AK120II does not preloaded with the MQS demo songs. As I updated the software to 1.12 immediately upon purchase of the unit. I don't  know that updating the new software will format the internal storage. Thanks for pointing out this issue as I might erase all my music files of 115 GB which are all stored in internal storage if there is any new software upgrade.

May 19, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #4,048 of 6,668
Hey guys,

Looking into balanced options but upon doing some research it seems that the AK100II has less power output running in balanced mode?

Is the AK120II that much better of an option when running in balanced?  I just want to know if there are any who have used the AK100II in balanced and let me know how it was.

Also, what balanced cables would you guys recommend?  I was looking into the Linum Balanced cables but would appreciate other options.

Thanks.

May 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #4,049 of 6,668
Hey guys,

Looking into balanced options but upon doing some research it seems that the AK100II has less power output running in balanced mode?

Is the AK120II that much better of an option when running in balanced?  I just want to know if there are any who have used the AK100II in balanced and let me know how it was.

Also, what balanced cables would you guys recommend?  I was looking into the Linum Balanced cables but would appreciate other options.

Thanks.

You might want to skim through the thread, as I think the AK100 II vs AK120 II balanced debate could literally be the most well-covered subject here.

May 19, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #4,050 of 6,668
You might want to skim through the thread, as I think the AK100 II vs AK120 II balanced debate could literally be the most well-covered subject here.

I've actually read almost every single page of this thread but more information is always good.

From what it seems that the 120II is better in every way when using the balanced output but I wanted to ask if anyone had anything good to say about running the 100II in balanced mode. So far it doesn't seem so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back