Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
May 22, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #4,066 of 6,668
  Looks like I spoke too soon - currently DSM does not support MTP file transfer 
frown.gif

Ah, too bad.. Ah well, it works with the Android File Transfer application, it just takes a while longer. Fortunately not something that has to be done on a daily basis. 
smile.gif

By the way, should we be discussing these things in this thread? 

May 22, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #4,067 of 6,668
Is anyone using the AK 100 ii with Bluetooth somewhat regularly? I have the Momentum 2.0 wireless so I like the wired/wireless option, but Bluetooth from the AK 100 ii to the Momentum 2.0 barely works.

The Momentum 2.0's have well documented Bluetooth problems so I'm just trying to figure out if Bluetooth can be usable with the AK 100 ii once Senn releases a corrected Momentum 2.0....i.e. is the problem 100% Sennheiser, or do the AK 100 ii suffer from Bluetooth reliability problems with other headphones too?

May 22, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #4,068 of 6,668
  Is anyone using the AK 100 ii with Bluetooth somewhat regularly? I have the Momentum 2.0 wireless so I like the wired/wireless option, but Bluetooth from the AK 100 ii to the Momentum 2.0 barely works.

The Momentum 2.0's have well documented Bluetooth problems so I'm just trying to figure out if Bluetooth can be usable with the AK 100 ii once Senn releases a corrected Momentum 2.0....i.e. is the problem 100% Sennheiser, or do the AK 100 ii suffer from Bluetooth reliability problems with other headphones too?

I have Momentum 2.0 wireless and still hanging to my AK120ii review loaner :)  I can confirm that it barely works as well.  My M2W is from a "good" batch, no BT problems what so ever with any smartphones or tablets in any crowded area, so I know for sure it has nothing to do with Senns BT problem.  I think it's a combination of two thing, M2W having a poor signal sensitivity due to a buried antenna (needs a higher power BT signal to stay paired up) and AK100ii/120ii having BT radio with lower output power, probably optimized to drain less battery.  I have used AK120ii with other wireless headphones without a problem, but also noticed a limited open sight range of operation, that's why I'm sure their transmitted BT signal is not as strong, more intended for a close up operation.

May 22, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #4,070 of 6,668
  I'm using my AK100ii with a UE boombox, the connection is flawless, never had a problem.

Don't get me wrong, works like a charm with RIVA Turbo X too

but the wireless distance is not as long as with my Note 4, and M2W is a strong contributing factor with poor BT signal sensitivity.

May 24, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #4,074 of 6,668
Hey, a question if you will - how are you guys coping with that balanced out being 2.5 mm? Do you use a 3-5 to 2.5 adapter? Can that even be done or do you need to recable everything the whole way for the balanced out to do it's magic? I'm looking into a 120ii and that is one intimidating feature. 

May 24, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #4,075 of 6,668
  Hey, a question if you will - how are you guys coping with that balanced out being 2.5 mm? Do you use a 3-5 to 2.5 adapter? Can that even be done or do you need to recable everything the whole way for the balanced out to do it's magic? I'm looking into a 120ii and that is one intimidating feature. 

In my case, I have several 2.5mm TRRS cables for IEMs, and I`ve recabled one IEM which does not have removable cables (cardas EM5813). There are other makers adopting the 2.5 TRRS output it seems : Venturecraft, Ratoc Audiolabs, and I was most surprised to see the new ALO Dual-Mono Continental DAC/AMP has 2.5 in and out.  Pretty psyched about that!  

I also changed my mind about getting the AK Jr specifically because it does not have 2.5 out.  I could live with it not being balanced, but I think they should have put a single-ended 2.5 output so that AK customers who have these cables can use it.  

May 24, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #4,076 of 6,668
  In my case, I have several 2.5mm TRRS cables for IEMs, and I`ve recabled one IEM which does not have removable cables (cardas EM5813). There are other makers adopting the 2.5 TRRS output it seems : Venturecraft, Ratoc Audiolabs, and I was most surprised to see the new ALO Dual-Mono Continental DAC/AMP has 2.5 in and out.  Pretty psyched about that!  

I also changed my mind about getting the AK Jr specifically because it does not have 2.5 out.  I could live with it not being balanced, but I think they should have put a single-ended 2.5 output so that AK customers who have these cables can use it.  

If they did have an SE 2.5 output, would a 2.5 TRRS work with it in an unbalanced mode?

May 24, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #4,077 of 6,668
  In my case, I have several 2.5mm TRRS cables for IEMs, and I`ve recabled one IEM which does not have removable cables (cardas EM5813). 

:D See this where you lost me. Pardon my stupidity, but does the cable itself need to be some kind of special cable for me to get "balanced" sound? Just a small 3.5 to 2.5 adapter in the end of, say, my normal Shure 535 headphones - that won't do? I need... a TRRS cable with ta 2.5 male termination point for those Shures?

Again, pardon my noobness.

May 24, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #4,078 of 6,668
:D See this where you lost me. Pardon my stupidity, but does the cable itself need to be some kind of special cable for me to get "balanced" sound? Just a small 3.5 to 2.5 adapter in the end of, say, my normal Shure 535 headphones - that won't do? I need... a TRRS cable with ta 2.5 male termination point for those Shures?

No, don't use an adapter. The cable needs to be reterminated

May 24, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #4,079 of 6,668

Cables are the same, as are the connectors that plug into your phones.  It's the jack at the other end of the cable that determines the balanced signal.  You can use an adapter on a cable with a TRRS 2.5 mm (balanced) jack to convert it to a TRS (unbalanced 3.5 in your example) jack, but you cannot do the opposite (ie., use an adapter to make a cable with an unbalanced jack into a balanced cable).

May 24, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #4,080 of 6,668

Cables are the same, as are the connectors that plug into your phones.  It's the jack at the other end of the cable that determines the balanced signal.  You can use an adapter on a cable with a TRRS 2.5 mm (balanced) jack to convert it to a TRS (unbalanced 3.5 in your example) jack, but you cannot do the opposite (ie., use an adapter to make a cable with an unbalanced jack into a balanced cable).

Wow, so that's it. You have to aftermarket recable all of your gear. That's pretty steep. None of that stuff is even available on amazon, ebay has like one MMCX option (good for shures). So not only do you have to buy expensive and confusing aftermarket cables, you have to buy them straight from Moon audio and Double Helix which makes it even more of a hassle. Especially if, like a large portion of the planet's populace, you are not from the states.

But thanks anyway for clearing it up. There's a lot to weigh now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back