Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Aug 25, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #1,186 of 6,668
Whoa cool. 2 questions
Any word why he didn't consider a line out mod?

Have you ever had a chance to compare the rwak100 ii to the stock ak240? Or any other rw mods?

All the red wine mods all the models in my experience adds wider sound stage, deeper warmer signature and overall tighter detail rendering when used with respected IEMs.

The ones I have are shown below:

RWAK100 (Silver)
RWAK100II
RWAK120 (Titan)
RWAK240

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #1,187 of 6,668

All the red wine mods all the models in my experience adds wider sound stage, deeper warmer signature and overall tighter detail rendering when used with respected IEMs.

RWAK100 (Silver)
RWAK100II
RWAK120 (Titan)
RWAK240

A very loyal AK fans

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,189 of 6,668

Is the difference btw AK100II and AK240 just subtle? Or big and obvious? There were previous users who have tried and mentioned the differences is very subtle and high level of concentration is needed to distinguish both.

My experience is the big and obvious AK240 - but other may not share my views.

It's both. 
smile.gif
  For me, the difference was subtle at first.  But once you notice it, consistently, then it becomes glaring! 
eek.gif

EDIT:  And I mean annoyingly glaring... like "ignorance is bliss" glaring. 
frown.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,191 of 6,668

RWAK100 (Silver)
RWAK100II
RWAK120 (Titan)
RWAK240

So, how do you rate these DAPs?

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,192 of 6,668
The AK240 soundstage width us pretty wide off the balance output when using the right earphones, e.g. 1plus2
Is the increase width of RWAK240 referring to full sized?

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,193 of 6,668
I got my AK120ii yesterday. It's an impressive device; sturdy, well-engineered, attractive. The interface is fairly intuitive and very responsive. And the sound?

For context I should say I am no audiophile. The fanciest component I own is a Fiio E10 USB DAC, and for years all of my portable listening has been with an iPod or iPhone with decent canal phones like Etymotic HF3 or Klipsch S4s. Before getting the AK I got a set of Sennheiser I8's and that is what I hooked up for the initial listen since I know the sound they give me from an IOS device.

My initial impression, listening to some FLAC and ALAC files, was "Hmmm...this is pretty nice." Not blow my socks off great, but clearly a step up from an iPod. Then, this morning, I put on an album I just acquired from HDTracks--Shelby Lynne's "Little Bit of Lovin'" in AIFF format.

Click. The light went on. I don't have all the inside vocabulary yet...I'll just say that the level of detail combined with spaciousness in the sound really wowed me. I'd never heard the recording before, and maybe I would enjoy it just as much in a 360k iTunes version on my phone...but somehow I doubt it.

Over the weekend I'll have the chance to do some A/B comparisons with my iPod Classic, which is loaded with ALAC files, and that should give me a better idea of the differences. It's not clear to me (yet) that I what I can hear is worth the high premium price, but this morning I certainly was impressed.

Next, I'll hook up the Shure SE846's that I got at the same time and see what THAT does.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #1,199 of 6,668
Any owners of both the DX90 and AK100II or AK120II? I have DX90 and thinking of splurging for one of the new AK's to use with SE846 if they are much better. I'm quite happy so far with DX90 set on Dance EQ with SE846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back