Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jul 6, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #6,376 of 6,668

Anyone else running a portable amp?  I'd really like if its worth adding a portable amp to the AK100II to drive something like the LCD-X.

I`m alternating my 120ii and the Ratoc Audio Labs RAL KEB-03.  The difference between them is huge, and hugely satisfying, with the AK being smoother and possibly more musical and blacker; and the Ratoc, with twin ESS Sabre dacs, more detailed and punchier, especially with my new HE-400i headphones.  It also has the AK-spec 2.5 balanced out, so my cables work.  I believe is 3.7V, to the AK`s 2.something . . . .  

On another topic, the freezing or pausing problem that I was experiencing has completely disappeared from my 120ii, without me having done a thing.  I was listening to a huge DSD iso rip of a jazz sampler, you the kind with the 300mb tracks, and realized I`d played through it a few times with zero freezes.  That was a few weeks ago, and I`ve kept track: zero issues since then.  Touch wood.  

One more thing:  256gb cards are coming next month.  Sandisk extreme 256, listing for $150usd, lets hope they work! 

http://www.dpreview.com/news/8921035088/sandisk-says-its-two-new-microsd-cards-are-the-world-s-fastest

And one last thing - I now believe I have found the perfect AK+IEMs case:  It`s nerdy as hell, but strong: 

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #6,377 of 6,668
nyaahhh!!! hahaha that was a surprise to me...how does it sound? how does the ak70 slot into the current ak dap lineup? (SQ wise)
very meaty midrange. Better than akjr no doubt. On par with ak300, ak100ii imo

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #6,378 of 6,668
I haven't noticed any pauses in recent weeks either, so here's hoping that's sorted.

Also, I've found the Pelican 1060 is the perfect size for AK + IEMs. You can even store a few spare tips or tools underneath the AK.

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #6,379 of 6,668
I haven't noticed any pauses in recent weeks either, so here's hoping that's sorted.

Also, I've found the Pelican 1060 is the perfect size for AK + IEMs. You can even store a few spare tips or tools underneath the AK.

can i enquire on those red iems

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #6,380 of 6,668
can i enquire on those red iems

Those are the Rhapsodio Solar BA10 CIEM

900x900px-LL-34a37776_SolarAK120ii4.jpeg

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #6,382 of 6,668
This was my own design, and they did a great job of it.

Deep red, with dark ebony wood faceplate, and a silver Rhapsodio logo motif.

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #6,384 of 6,668

That is an excellent case. How did you get the foam cutout? Does the foam come with the case and you cut it yourself?

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #6,385 of 6,668
That is an excellent case. How did you get the foam cutout? Does the foam come with the case and you cut it yourself?

Pelican sells the foam separately. You can find it in every size to perfectly fit all of their cases. If this is the 1060 case, the foam would be 1062.

This foam is segmented into very tiny, centimeter-size squares, which rip apart easily. The only cutting I did was on the very edge, so the AK120ii would be held against the rubber on one side. That was the only way I could make the foam spacers thick enough to hold the AK securely.

I would recommend buying two sheets of foam. Because if you're anything like me, you'll need a trial run before you know exactly what you want.

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #6,388 of 6,668
Hi guys, i'm looking to get a second hand ak100-ii, and been backreading the whole day on this thread... still got some questions though hope you guys can help out a newbie on AK daps, thanks in advance :)

Firstly, any thing to watch out for in a second hand unit?

Does the user interface have a way to search through all the songs by entering the letters of the title of the song? this is one thing i missed when i had an x5, i had to scroll long lists to get that one song i want to listen to.
Also, is there a way to add a "play next" while you are browsing on albums/artists?

I read there's a way to may the usb dac work on android, does it work with an s7 edge, anybody tried it? how about on an iphone/ipad, i remember there was a time i was able to use the DX90 as usb dac/amp for my iphone and ipad and listened to apple music/spotify through the DX90...

Thanks again in advance guys :)

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #6,389 of 6,668
If you want to use your smartphone as a source, you'd be better off getting a Mojo. These Astell&Kern devices are utilized best when they are the source.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #6,390 of 6,668
  Hi guys, i'm looking to get a second hand ak100-ii, and been backreading the whole day on this thread... still got some questions though hope you guys can help out a newbie on AK daps, thanks in advance :)

Firstly, any thing to watch out for in a second hand unit?

Does the user interface have a way to search through all the songs by entering the letters of the title of the song? this is one thing i missed when i had an x5, i had to scroll long lists to get that one song i want to listen to.
Also, is there a way to add a "play next" while you are browsing on albums/artists?

I read there's a way to may the usb dac work on android, does it work with an s7 edge, anybody tried it? how about on an iphone/ipad, i remember there was a time i was able to use the DX90 as usb dac/amp for my iphone and ipad and listened to apple music/spotify through the DX90...

Thanks again in advance guys :)

it doesnt work with the s7 edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back