Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jan 8, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #2,928 of 6,668
Just felt like checking in. Brand new AK100ii owner here and paired with the 846. Boy oh boy is this something else. Build quality is second to none and I am very happy about the UI. Everything is very smooth with this player. Using as a DAC with my macbook has been nice to use as well.

Was looking at Fiio X3/X5 and the DX50/90 as well as ZX1/A17 and very happy I chose this player. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #2,929 of 6,668
Yeah I have started to use my 120ii as a DAC basically all the time with my MacBook Pro.  It`s so . . . optimized, and fool-proof.  Totally excellent.  My balanced T5P makes even youtube sound okay.  Movies sound awesome.   Well done, Astell & Kern.  

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #2,930 of 6,668
Yeah the DAC functionality works pretty great. It's nice too that after I option+click the sound icon in OSX toolbar and selected the 100ii for output, I only had to do it once. Now it automagically outputs through the 100ii whenever its connected, which is remarkably convenient. It sure does sound good for such a small piece of gear. 

Any tips for transferring files efficiently? I'm constantly adding new albums from some artists, but would like to transfer all new music at once without having to replace what is already on the 100ii. 

To clarify, I am using the android file transfer software for mac. I have organized my lossless library in a Artist>Album (folder, sub-folder) hierarchy. I then dump that into the music folder on the player. The problem is that if I add a bunch of albums to existing artists, I have to either add them one by one (monotonous) or I can batch update the player, but it then replaces everything including albums that were already there to begin with (waste of time). Tips? Is there additional/alternative software that makes management slightly easier?

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #2,931 of 6,668
  Yeah I have started to use my 120ii as a DAC basically all the time with my MacBook Pro.  It`s so . . . optimized, and fool-proof.  Totally excellent.  My balanced T5P makes even youtube sound okay.  Movies sound awesome.   Well done, Astell & Kern.  

Do you have any issues getting the Mac to recognize the A&K? I successfully used it the first time and the 120ii showed up as an option for sound output but since then, it doesn't even see it. Not sure what is going on. I am running Yosemite OS

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #2,932 of 6,668
  Yeah the DAC functionality works pretty great. It's nice too that after I option+click the sound icon in OSX toolbar and selected the 100ii for output, I only had to do it once. Now it automagically outputs through the 100ii whenever its connected, which is remarkably convenient. It sure does sound good for such a small piece of gear. 

Any tips for transferring files efficiently? I'm constantly adding new albums from some artists, but would like to transfer all new music at once without having to replace what is already on the 100ii. 

To clarify, I am using the android file transfer software for mac. I have organized my lossless library in a Artist>Album (folder, sub-folder) hierarchy. I then dump that into the music folder on the player. The problem is that if I add a bunch of albums to existing artists, I have to either add them one by one (monotonous) or I can batch update the player, but it then replaces everything including albums that were already there to begin with (waste of time). Tips? Is there additional/alternative software that makes management slightly easier?

I would up writing an ap to do this, but the pre-req is getting SyncMate running on the mac to show the AK storage as drives:

May app demo: Dapper Demo Astell & Kern

BUT, you have to, before you buy Dapper - get WyncMate working:  (SyncMate license is 39.95): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWhkBrt35Bk

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #2,934 of 6,668
Just finished reading through the thread as I was looking for that "perfect" one-box solution for feeding my CIEMs. I had previously dismissed the A&K players; at first because of the 22ohm OI on the original AK100, then the stupendously horrific pricing and design of the AK240. I basically had them pegged as being overpriced and oddly designed.

Then I visited the Estron HQ (they make the Linum Bax cable) and tried the company owner's AK240: Love at first listen and the design looks and feels SO much better than it looks in pictures. Still it was priced WAY beyond what I was willing to spend, so I looked for a slightly cheaper way to achieve such great sound from a DAP without strapping an amp to it. I've just sold my DX90 and PB2 stack to help with the funding and I've asked my dealer/pusher/enabler to order me the AK120 II. REALLY looking forward to hearing it!

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #2,935 of 6,668
^ Soooo you finally went to the dark side of the force. Well its understandable, force choke and force lightning are very tempting powers. But bottom line is would you rather hang out with crazy evil Darth Vader (AK) or the calm and cool Obi-Wan (iBasso). LOL.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #2,936 of 6,668
  . . 

I can add single files, or large batches of folders, through AFT, but only to the AK drive.  For the SD, there is no option to add new folders through AFT.  I can add files to existing folders (i.e., music albums), but no way to drop discreet folders on to the SD card.  I have to remove it, insert into my Macbook Pro, and add them that way.  I`ve got my 64gb SD card maxed out with essential music, and use only the AK drive through AFT for experimenting with new music, which I might want to delete and replace.  AFT works adequately, but only just, and really needs to be eliminated from the otherwise flawless AK system.  

Do you have any issues getting the Mac to recognize the A&K? I successfully used it the first time and the 120ii showed up as an option for sound output but since then, it doesn't even see it. Not sure what is going on. I am running Yosemite OS

No problems, and I`m on Yosemite too.  Like GrindedDown, as soon as I connect the AK it is active as the sound output.  Did you option+click the sound icon in OSX toolbar and selected the AK for output?

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #2,937 of 6,668
  Just finished reading through the thread as I was looking for that "perfect" one-box solution for feeding my CIEMs. I had previously dismissed the A&K players; at first because of the 22ohm OI on the original AK100, then the stupendously horrific pricing and design of the AK240. I basically had them pegged as being overpriced and oddly designed.

Then I visited the Estron HQ (they make the Linum Bax cable) and tried the company owner's AK240: Love at first listen and the design looks and feels SO much better than it looks in pictures. Still it was priced WAY beyond what I was willing to spend, so I looked for a slightly cheaper way to achieve such great sound from a DAP without strapping an amp to it. I've just sold my DX90 and PB2 stack to help with the funding and I've asked my dealer/pusher/enabler to order me the AK120 II. REALLY looking forward to hearing it!

I'm exactly the same way.  I'd prefer a one box solution, but have been hesitant to abandon my CLAS's warmer Wolfson sound. Maybe the older AK's might be a better choice for me?  I'll be interested in your impressions.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #2,938 of 6,668

Great to see you here, Sorenslim.  You were an ultra-reliable source of information and entertainment on some of the other threads I existed on, before deciding like you to sell the farm and go AK. I am really looking forward to reading your impressions and discoveries.

Like you, I sold my DX50 and my PB2+DB2 rig and got the 120ii about two months ago, when my local shop in Tokyo was blowing out a stack of them at a quite amazing discount.   You will not be disappointed : my 120ii is one of the most optimized gadgets I`ve ever purchased, from build quality to functionality, to ergonomics, all the way to sound quality.  

If I remember correctly, you are an accomplished solderer and if you decide to start converting your iems to 2.5 balanced you are going to trigger some serious envy from me.  (I have 2.5 balanced cable on my JVC FX850 and Beyer T5P,  neither DIY)

Welcome ! 

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #2,939 of 6,668
I'm exactly the same way.  I'd prefer a one box solution, but have been hesitant to abandon my CLAS's warmer Wolfson sound. Maybe the older AK's might be a better choice for me?  I'll be interested in your impressions.

I've just bought an AK120 (the old one, actually a Titan) for exactly that reason. I tried the AK240 and the 120ii, budget not an issue, and found them both to be jolly neutral and probably more audiophile, and slightly better UI, etc etc, but just less enjoyable musically.

As someone who loves music and plays an instrument, and enjoys movies with good soundtracks, being out and about with the 120 and decent IEMs feels like walking around with the soundtrack to your life playing. I found the 120ii and 240 a bit soulless. I guess I naturally prefer a warm sound signature.

It sounds good with my little Onkyo HA200 as well.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2,940 of 6,668
  ^ Soooo you finally went to the dark side of the force. Well its understandable, force choke and force lightning are very tempting powers. But bottom line is would you rather hang out with crazy evil Darth Vader (AK) or the calm and cool Obi-Wan (iBasso). LOL.

The DX90 is one hell of a DAP - Very enjoyable sound, pocket friendly and great value (by Head-Fi standards anyway). But the new AK units are just one a whole other level when it comes to UI, build quality, features and sound. To get all these things right in a single product, one must expect to pay a premium, I guess. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back