Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Sep 25, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #1,561 of 6,668
I'm a proud owner of the ak100ii, and was wondering I can't seem to find any expert reviews on that model?

Originally Posted by gl07pp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are none that I've seen so far.

Originally Posted by dpastern /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think most people who end up reviewing these units are going for the top of the range AK240...there's bugger all on YouTube :frowning2:

Originally Posted by mike7898 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yea I seen YouTube has a short clip from a event but that's all,its a well crafted machine and deserves a expert review like that other higher end AK.

Originally Posted by dpastern /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know...it's the same with the AK120 II...there's a few in Asian languages, but since I don't speak them, those reviews are useless to me!

Sorry guys, I've been crazy busy with CanJam lately that I haven't been able to finish up the full AK100II and AK120II reviews yet.  
redface.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #1,562 of 6,668
hello to all, 

in Germany were the three AK 100 II , AK120 II and AK240 

compared in a HiFi newspaper the difference is small

for me, the comparison helped me choose the AK 120 II

the UI and software are the same, Differences are only internal memory

Single DAC to Dual DAC and 240 Native DSD additionally 

the 120 and 240 has then a stronger headphone amplifier

than the 100 that was about it except for the price :)

does anyone have experience with this service

http://www.whathifi.com/news/qobuz-app-brings-direct-high-res-downloads-to-astell-kern-players

I am about to book him interested 

greeting Peter 

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #1,563 of 6,668
hello to all, 

in Germany were the three AK 100 II , AK120 II and AK240 

compared in a HiFi newspaper the difference is small

for me, the comparison helped me choose the AK 120 II

the UI and software are the same, Differences are only internal memory

Single DAC to Dual DAC and 240 Native DSD additionally 

the 120 and 240 has then a stronger headphone amplifier

than the 100 that was about it except for the price :)

does anyone have experience with this service

http://www.whathifi.com/news/qobuz-app-brings-direct-high-res-downloads-to-astell-kern-players

I am about to book him interested 

greeting Peter 

I am very interested in this streaming business.
Is it likely to be available world wide or just Europe?

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,564 of 6,668
The software is most certainly not the same - there are all kinds of goodies in the AK240 that I don't have on my 100II and Im a little ticked there isn't an update. Examples:

Qobuz application (Shown only under European time zone)
When it’s paired with a smartphone via bluetooth, a notice is shown on AK240 when you get a phone call.

Im mostly interest in the phone ringing thingy... but all I get is:

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,566 of 6,668
so,
my AK120II  arrived today yayyy. What a sexy beast she is 
biggrin.gif

listening with my se846's.I wouldn't say it is base light at all ,no need to eq anything.

wow this thing eats battery for fun though, compared to my nexus 5,you can literally see the percentage go down

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,567 of 6,668
  so,
biggrin.gif

listening with my se846's.I wouldn't say it is base light at all ,no need to eq anything.

wow this thing eats battery for fun though, compared to my nexus 5,you can literally see the percentage go down

Only if you're watching... literally. Backlight isn't your friend.

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #1,568 of 6,668
Yea I seen YouTube has a short clip from a event but that's all,its a well crafted machine and deserves a expert review like that other higher end AK.

Agreed.

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #1,569 of 6,668
What kind of update that you're looking for?
To me, the current UI is good enough for my daily commute and the occasional home use.
I do prefer AK100ii UI over ZX-1 Android.
To me, AK100ii is way way more polished than those on Calyx, DX's, HM's, Fiio's, etc

In what way would you define polished? I'm curious as I haven't obviously used anything other than the AK unit

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,570 of 6,668
  The software is most certainly not the same - there are all kinds of goodies in the AK240 that I don't have on my 100II and Im a little ticked there isn't an update. Examples:

Qobuz application (Shown only under European time zone)
When it’s paired with a smartphone via bluetooth, a notice is shown on AK240 when you get a phone call.

Im mostly interest in the phone ringing thingy... but all I get is:

That's interesting, cos bluetooth is meant to be identical in the 3 units, both from a software and functionality point of view.  So, this works with your AK240 with the same phone, but not the AK100 II?  Don't forget that bluetooth is a very flakey connection setup.  In all my years in tech support, I've never seen bluetooth work well.  

Sorry guys, I've been crazy busy with CanJam lately that I haven't been able to finish up the full AK100II and AK120II reviews yet.  
redface.gif

That's OK Warren - we understand you're busy.  Thanks for taking the time to consider doing reviews on the lesser models in the new AK range though - we do appreciate them.

so,
biggrin.gif

Can't be any worse than my ageing iPhone4S - a few games of candy crush, a few minutes on twitter and listening to music for an hour are good enough to take the battery down from 100% to 80% for me (it's never been the same after I upgraded to iOS6 to be honest).

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #1,571 of 6,668
  so,
biggrin.gif

I have the AK100II to review and I agree, the bass is very good with my SE535s. It's not fat, nor bloated, but it goes deep and hits hard when needed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back