Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Sep 27, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #1,576 of 6,668
I have a question about large 128 gb Micro SD cards and the AK120II.

Anyone have experience with Micro SD cards besides SanDisk?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #1,578 of 6,668
To my knowledge, only SanDisk currently makes 128 GB micro SD cards. Any other brands of 128 GB micro SD cards are fake.

I've seen  Samsung, that one looks pretty authentic to me.
Then there are the off brands or no-names, all found fairly cheaply on Ebay. I'm trying one of those right now, would only work for transfers if seated within the AK120II, and transfer speed is painfully at what feels like 1990 speeds. Transferring files since about 2 pm, 30 gigs in 10 hours.

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #1,579 of 6,668
anyone know what version of android the software is running on top of?
if it's earlier than 4.3, we have BIg problems, as trim was only implemented from version 4.3!

For those who might not be familiar with TRIM, it’s an I/O command used to keep NAND-based storage performing close to its original state. By its design, blocks on NAND-based storage are never actually wiped when data is deleted. Instead, it’s marked for overwriting, which means when new data needs to get written, it suffers a performance hit because it has to deal with the bunk data first. TRIM comes in to trigger immediately after every delete to wipe affected blocks clean.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #1,580 of 6,668
  anyone know what version of android the software is running on top of?
if it's earlier than 4.3, we have BIg problems, as trim was only implemented from version 4.3!

For those who might not be familiar with TRIM, it’s an I/O command used to keep NAND-based storage performing close to its original state. By its design, blocks on NAND-based storage are never actually wiped when data is deleted. Instead, it’s marked for overwriting, which means when new data needs to get written, it suffers a performance hit because it has to deal with the bunk data first. TRIM comes in to trigger immediately after every delete to wipe affected blocks clean.

Good point - it's probably 4.3, I doubt it's kit kat.  There should be a way to hack the unit to see the o/s version.  

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,582 of 6,668
I've seen  Samsung, that one looks pretty authentic to me.
Then there are the off brands or no-names, all found fairly cheaply on Ebay. I'm trying one of those right now, would only work for transfers if seated within the AK120II, and transfer speed is painfully at what feels like 1990 speeds. Transferring files since about 2 pm, 30 gigs in 10 hours.

One of the painful thing is transferring files and it takes forever!

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,583 of 6,668
I've already asked this in a other post with no luck, but it seems better to do it here:  Does anyone knows of a market alternative to the awful, hideous and crappy made "aligator leather" case that comes with the AK120II? I know there's quite a few options for the AK240 but seems nothing yet for the AK120II?

Also, how come there is no firmware update yet for the AK120II if there's one for the AK240 in order to install the Qobuz app?

thanks.

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,584 of 6,668
this is the question that I'm looking for too

I'm curious whether the change will be significant

Unfortunately it's difficult to say for sure. Some IEMs change a lot, the sound is much better, while some iems, there is barely a change.

One example of one that changes a lot is the hifiman balanced one (forgot the model), while the IE800 doesn't change a lot.

One thing that almost always changes is that the soundstage gets a lot bigger, and the bass hits harder.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #1,585 of 6,668
I have a SE846 using balanced, and re-terminated to single ended, for my AK120II.
The balanced to my ears is a mild but noticeable upgrade in terms of sounds being clearer and more forward. Just feels more clean and hifi-like.
Is it worth the extra USD60 for the adapter? Well, value depends on your financial means and your level of enjoyment. Hard for me to comment on that as each person has to decide for themselves.

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #1,586 of 6,668
  I have a SE846 using balanced, and re-terminated to single ended, for my AK120II.
The balanced to my ears is a mild but noticeable upgrade in terms of sounds being clearer and more forward. Just feels more clean and hifi-like.
Is it worth the extra USD60 for the adapter? Well, value depends on your financial means and your level of enjoyment. Hard for me to comment on that as each person has to decide for themselves.

To get your SE846 balanced, which type of câble are you using ?

thx
sam

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #1,588 of 6,668
So something new that I just noticed with my AK100ii. When I shake my unit up and down a little bit, I can hear the battery pack inside slide around a few millimeters; just enough movement to feel and hear the battery in there. Otherwise, it works just fine regardless.

Not gonna lie, I LoLed a little bit considering how much this thing costs. I mean, come on bro, just add some thermal 3M tape in there and call it a day, ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back