Brand new - Zishan Z2 DSD Player- AK 4490 - Link to order, Firmware update. page 1
Jul 20, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #78 of 678
I got my Z2 this morning. To confirm, yes the firmware update is exactly that - unpack the bin file and put it in on your card, put it in the player, when you turn the player on the blue light flashes quickly, and then you turn it off and remove, and with the DAC left is now left and right is right (without firmware update it's reversed in DAC mode).
Thanks so much for reporting back. That's extremely useful information.
Can this be used as a DAC with a computer?

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #80 of 678
mFvCCB4.png

Does this mean the dac is limited to 16/48 as well?
will probably be limited to 16/48 until proven otherwise. If the usb receiver is the same as Z1, it won't be able to process higher sample rate unfortunately.

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #82 of 678
What I think I hear is that the Z2 offers a clearer picture on detail than the Z1. Listening to classical orchestral music, a small percussive sound in the background is likely to be more cohesively placed on the Z2, and so far, that holds regardless of the opamp used in the Z1. And all those little details make for a slightly richer, more involving sound overall. These are at least my initial thoughts.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #85 of 678
Jul 20, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #86 of 678
@lecky , your initial impression with stock op-amp I presume... slight edge in sound quality compared to z1?

Yes, with stock amp, but discernible with a couple of other amp options in place too (LME49720HA and NA). A small but clear edge for the DAC on the Z2 I'd guess, unless it's the way the amp is implemented apart from the chip used.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #88 of 678
I put the sd card with firmware in, then turned on my Z2, the light stayed on and didn't blink at all after 3 seconds. Does this mean my Z2 is already up-to-date?
Either it is up to date or you need to do the following:
1. Card is best to be smaller than 32gb, just to be on the safe side
2. Format to fat32
3. Firmware bin file at root directory, best to have no other file and folders on card

Then try that FW update process again

Of course YMMV

I keep an old 4gb microSD card , blank and formatted fat32, just for this purpose, after having trouble updating my Zishan DSD

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #89 of 678
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #90 of 678
First impressions, in stock form, are promising compared to Z1 with LME49720HA. I'll say more once I've worked out what exactly is going on in the difference.
I found that z1 stock to be overly bloated mid and bass and lack common transparency. At least with my own unit. How does z2 compare.?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back