Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Jun 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #871 of 4,426
Bluebear, thanks for that impression, that was well written and fully thorough. Did u use the 1plus2 with the uber the whole time in that demo?

Reason i ask is that imo my 1plus2 with the uber never ever gets sibilant.. Like ever.. And what ure describing on the ref1 is what im hearing with the 1plus2 with uber.

To me, the signature of the 1Plus2 was defined by the cable attached to it. The Tralucent Sliver V1.0 cable did make the 1Plus2 sibilant (and I was slaugthered for saying that on HF :p) and the Silver/Gold V1.0 toned it down marginally. Admittedly the Tralucent Silver/Gold V2.0 did tone down the sibilance even more so, but it was the Uber cable that truly tamed the beast - in other words for the 1Plus2, it was the choice of cable that was a "yay or nay" for my tastes (and I proved it by buying it, returning it, then buying it again but with the Uber cable).

The Ref 1 is somewhat easier that it performs very well with the Tralucent Sliver/Gold V2.0 and the Uber merely brought it to a new level.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #872 of 4,426
Thanks sean, but what does the uber bring to the table wrt the ref 1?

To my ears the uber does the following to the 1plus2:
- adds warmth and body throughout the signature
- increases the sound stage (like OMG huge)
- smoothes out the treble region hence negating all sibilance while maintaining the details we know and love with the 1plus2

So, whatabout the ref 1? Cos from what i gather its already a bit warm and is w/o sibilance with the stock cable

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #873 of 4,426
Bluebear, thanks for that impression, that was well written and fully thorough. Did u use the 1plus2 with the uber the whole time in that demo?

Reason i ask is that imo my 1plus2 with the uber never ever gets sibilant.. Like ever.. And what ure describing on the ref1 is what im hearing with the 1plus2 with uber.

No no. 
normal_smile .gif
 I wrote that quick short review based on the stock silver/gold cable with 1plus2 and Ref 1 since I felt most people will only be getting the stock silver/gold cable and not the uBer (due to its price), so giving impressions on 1plus2 and Ref 1 based on the silver/gold cable is more realistic and apt for them. Moreover, I am very familiar with the SQ on the silver/gold cable since I have been listening to it since my old 1plus2 and my impression will be more accurate. I am still getting familiar with the extra details and changes the uBer cable bring to my 1plus2 and Ref 1 so give it another 1-2 weeks' time and I will give another separate review on that.

During my private auditioning of the uBer cable with Gavin at a local cafe, I was purely using Gavin's Ref 1 and uBer cable set. I did not want to further impose on Gavin to constantly detach the cable from the pin sockets on the earpieces to A-B it between my own Ref 1 and 1plus2 (I remembered reading somewhere Gavin does not like to keep removing cables in/out of sockets
tongue_smile.gif
). So I only A-B his Ref 1 + uBer against my own Ref 1 + silver/gold. Our burn in times on our Ref 1's are roughly the same (150-200 hours), so it is mainly a cable vs cable test in that sense. uBer really renders the sound on Ref 1 much more silky smooth and irons out any rough edges I can hear even on standard redbook CD quality tracks. The music becomes even more musical. So after I bought the uBer from Gavin, I can do my own testing at leisure and tried it on my 1plus2 at home. Gone are those familiar parts on those tracks which can usually go pretty sibilant and crackle/sound piercing on the highs with 1plus2. The audio picture I get from the high pitch notes becomes like a more rounded hilltop than a sharp peak without losing its amplitude/magnitude. In fact, I feel more power/punch coming from each of those high pitch notes without the usual roughness that accompanies them.

As for the Ref 1, it does not even sound sibilant to my ears. So basically I felt uBer boost the overall performance across the entire spectrum for Ref 1. Everything becomes better, more power, smoother, more microdynamics, more depth, more bass, etc. Basically it gives me an even better musical connection to my tracks than the silver/gold cable.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #875 of 4,426
Cool blue!!! That makes me understand more wrt ref1

Wait I thought you are in Singapore? Did you not go to the Jaben meet yesterday to try out Ref 1? You bought your 1plus2 together with uBer right? So you have never heard the 1plus2 with the stock silver/gold cable before?

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #876 of 4,426
Wait I thought you are in Singapore? Did you not go to the Jaben meet yesterday to try out Ref 1? You bought your 1plus2 together with uBer right? So you have never heard the 1plus2 with the stock silver/gold cable before?

Nah bro, i wasnt in singapore.. No leave no joy.. I actually have both the silver/gold and the uber.. Now the former is resting in its lil tralucent case probably never to be used again hehehe

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #878 of 4,426
Thanks sean, but what does the uber bring to the table wrt the ref 1?

To my ears the uber does the following to the 1plus2:
- adds warmth and body throughout the signature
- increases the sound stage (like OMG huge)
- smoothes out the treble region hence negating all sibilance while maintaining the details we know and love with the 1plus2

So, whatabout the ref 1? Cos from what i gather its already a bit warm and is w/o sibilance with the stock cable

For me the Uber on the Ref 1 basically smooths out the trebles even more than the regular sliver/gold, textures the bass a little more, gives the headphone more depth and headroom (not certain about width but the Ref 1 is already so wide).

It looks like the Uber is flexible enough to do a 4-finger coil, has anyone tried? 
How do you guys store your Uber cables otg?

This is just my thoughts 'cos let's just say that I went through more than 1xUber cable. Yes it can coil quite tightly but at the same time I wouldn't do it cos it's solid core and can break easily too (at least in my experience).

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #879 of 4,426
This is just my thoughts 'cos let's just say that I went through more than 1xUber cable. Yes it can coil quite tightly but at the same time I wouldn't do it cos it's solid core and can break easily too (at least in my experience).

I'm not liking the silver/gold, ergos wise.
On the desktop, it's fine. But OTG, the cable has too much memory, it keeps twisting up on its own.

I like the feel of the sleeved Uber as it keeps the cable relatively straight (good thing its also heavier)
I've seen Gavin's one stored coiled about 10cm diameter inside a pelican case, I'm wondering if I should go for it as long as I handle with care (even though he has advised against coiling - well how tight is too tight?)
I gathered you've broken yours before?
Did it feel like something has cracked inside or the sound just stopped playing?

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #880 of 4,426

You broke your 1st one? 
blink.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #881 of 4,426
I'm not liking the silver/gold, ergos wise.
On the desktop, it's fine. But OTG, the cable has too much memory, it keeps twisting up on its own.

I like the feel of the sleeved Uber as it keeps the cable relatively straight (good thing its also heavier)
I've seen Gavin's one stored coiled about 10cm diameter inside a pelican case, I'm wondering if I should go for it as long as I handle with care (even though he has advised against coiling - well how tight is too tight?)
I gathered you've broken yours before?
Did it feel like something has cracked inside or the sound just stopped playing?

You're not liking the standard silver/gold ergo-wise? I agree that there's too much memory. You should see my sliver/gold for FitEars :D. I've contemplated stripping the sheath (leaving inner sheath of course), and seeing if that helps but been gutless in doing that to an expensive wire. I was told by someone else that the outer sheath was shrunk prematurely. If one were to lay out the braided cable straight, kept it that way, put on the outer sheath and heat shink it but keeping that straight too then it'll be ergonomically more friendly.

The Uber cable can be microphonic for me but I don't use it on-the-go so it doesn't bother me much. So my 1st Uber was DoA even though it was tested prior to shipping. I think Japan Post did open it up, looked at it and put it back in but my left (or right)? channel died. On the 2nd Uber I looked after it really well until I took it to the shops and had a few ppl try it. Again a channel died and I thought it was at the ear hook portion but it turned out it was at the Y-split side instead. The guess is that at the shops, one guy had one channel on whilst the other was off dangling 'cos presumably he was talking to someone whilst listening. So the weight of the unused dangling IEM was flexing the Y joint too much.

That's my justification for being super paranoid and warning members here about looking after their Uber cables. Possibly I'm a little too cautious but once (twice?) bitten, twice shy. Better safe than sorry.

As such my 3rd Uber has been well taken care off but sent to Tralucent for retermination to FitEar and AK240.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #883 of 4,426
You're not liking the standard silver/gold ergo-wise? I agree that there's too much memory. You should see my sliver/gold for FitEars :D. I've contemplated stripping the sheath (leaving inner sheath of course), and seeing if that helps but been gutless in doing that to an expensive wire. I was told by someone else that the outer sheath was shrunk prematurely. If one were to lay out the braided cable straight, kept it that way, put on the outer sheath and heat shink it but keeping that straight too then it'll be ergonomically more friendly.

The Uber cable can be microphonic for me but I don't use it on-the-go so it doesn't bother me much. So my 1st Uber was DoA even though it was tested prior to shipping. I think Japan Post did open it up, looked at it and put it back in but my left (or right)? channel died. On the 2nd Uber I looked after it really well until I took it to the shops and had a few ppl try it. Again a channel died and I thought it was at the ear hook portion but it turned out it was at the Y-split side instead. The guess is that at the shops, one guy had one channel on whilst the other was off dangling 'cos presumably he was talking to someone whilst listening. So the weight of the unused dangling IEM was flexing the Y joint too much.

That's my justification for being super paranoid and warning members here about looking after their Uber cables. Possibly I'm a little too cautious but once (twice?) bitten, twice shy. Better safe than sorry.

As such my 3rd Uber has been well taken care off but sent to Tralucent for retermination to FitEar and AK240.

I see...I'm not aware of any other versions of the silver/gold, but it came with the Ref.1 so i guess it should be standard. Regular SE termination, nothing fancy.

Hmm, break at Y-splitter, was the choker removed?
Did the warranty cover you during those incidents?

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #884 of 4,426

To me, the signature of the 1Plus2 was defined by the cable attached to it. The Tralucent Sliver V1.0 cable did make the 1Plus2 sibilant (and I was slaugthered for saying that on HF :p) and the Silver/Gold V1.0 toned it down marginally. Admittedly the Tralucent Silver/Gold V2.0 did tone down the sibilance even more so, but it was the Uber cable that truly tamed the beast - in other words for the 1Plus2, it was the choice of cable that was a "yay or nay" for my tastes (and I proved it by buying it, returning it, then buying it again but with the Uber cable).

The Ref 1 is somewhat easier that it performs very well with the Tralucent Sliver/Gold V2.0 and the Uber merely brought it to a new level.

When I bought the 1Plus2 and comparing the cables, I was using the Tera Player to which a very musical machine and thus sibilant wasn't an issue even I picked the V2 Silver over the V2 Gold/Silver.  

Now with the AK240, I've found my silver is less suited to the combo and uber is the answer, as you said, to tame the highs.

Uber with 1Plus2 or Ref.1 is at another level.

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #885 of 4,426
I see...I'm not aware of any other versions of the silver/gold, but it came with the Ref.1 so i guess it should be standard. Regular SE termination, nothing fancy.

Hmm, break at Y-splitter, was the choker removed?
Did the warranty cover you during those incidents?

You won't find the V1 version of both Silver & Gold/Silver anyway as Tralucent is not making it anymore.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back