Brainwavz Reveals their M4 with some pictures and information!
Nov 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #17 of 92
The only Monster I own is the Copper. Not really a fair comparison between the two.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #18 of 92

Quote:
Just received my M4 sample this afternoon and haven't quite had the time to burn it in yet, but the initial listening is very positive. Like Raz has said, it doesn't have the same sound as RE0. To me, it is very mildly U-shaped with very good bass impact - imagine M1 with much bigger and faster bass and slightly brighter, and better soundstage. M4 is probably the most natural sounding of all the M series so far with the least coloration. Still hard to say how good it is with so little listening time on it and almost no burn-in, but I can certain that I do prefer M4 to other M series so far.

The only downside I can say so far is a very minor driver flex when inserting the IEM, usually just a very light cracking sound.

how is the build quality? and does it have the same cable as the other M series?

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #20 of 92
Yeah I've experienced the cracking when putting them in as well ClieOS. Are you having any issues with inserting them? I haven't been able to get any sort of good sound from them whether it be deep or shallow insertion with the included tips or my Sony Hybrids. I'm going to give them a listen today after 10 hours of burn-in or so.

how is the build quality? and does it have the same cable as the other M series?

The build quality feels solid, but there seems to be a similar connection point between the housings that the RE0 has, meaning the driver seems to be held together at a stress point in the middle of the housing. Then again there are many ways Brainwavz could have held them together which would make them much more durable than the RE0 which are simply held together with glue. The cable is a transparent dark grey plastic with the wires exposed inside and actually looks sharp and feels durable.

I'll be putting these through their paces soon.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #21 of 92

Quote:

Solid build quality and I don't see any problem so far. The cable resembles MEElec's cable, but darker in color and slightly more springy.

Quote:
Yeah I've experienced the cracking when putting them in as well ClieOS. Are you having any issues with inserting them? I haven't been able to get any sort of good sound from them whether it be deep or shallow insertion with the included tips or my Sony Hybrids. I'm going to give them a listen today after 10 hours of burn-in or so.

I am using the stock mid sized single flange and it sounds pretty good in my ears.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #22 of 92
I'm having an odd problem that honestly makes no sense. I can not get the right ear to sit comfortably in either ear, while the left sits fine in both. I may just be going insane though. This is with many tips. I can't get a good seal with the right IEM. I'll try again later.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #23 of 92

Quote:
Just received my M4 sample this afternoon and haven't quite had the time to burn it in yet, but the initial listening is very positive. Like Raz has said, it doesn't have the same sound as RE0. To me, it is very mildly U-shaped with very good bass impact - imagine M1 with much bigger and faster bass and slightly brighter, and better soundstage. M4 is probably the most natural sounding of all the M series so far with the least coloration. Still hard to say how good it is with so little listening time on it and almost no burn-in, but I can certain that I do prefer M4 to other M series so far.

The only downside I can say so far is a very minor driver flex when inserting the IEM, usually just a very light cracking sound.

So far, can you say if it has the same harshness than B2 or even TF10 on treble? Some people say it is very bright, and I`m afraid they coud be as bright as those I mentioned... 

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #27 of 92
The M4 are more detailed and brighter than the A151. Comfort the A151 wins, but the M4 seems to be built just as well. Sonically I don't think they're very similar at all. A151 is laid back and warm while the M4 is rather bright and a bit more in your face. I do have to say I'm still having immense problems finding a comfortable way to wear these despite the many tip changes. I have no idea what's going on, no problems with my Sunrise Xcape, DUNU Trident, and etc. I'm going nuts here...

Edit: 30 minutes later and I think there's channel imbalances, but honestly it may just me not able to get a proper or comfortable fit at all with these. 

I'm going to save the rest of my thoughts for my review.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #28 of 92
Okay so I've been saying I've been having problems with fit and comfort so I decided to do an experiment. I put the same exact tip on each side and did a double blind test to test for fit/comfort. I closed my eyes and had my girlfriend hand me an IEM at random. I put it in my left ear 5 times and told her how it felt. I did the same thing to my right. I did this mainly to see if I'm crazy or if I'm really having problems with only 1 IEM, here are the results.

Left Ear

Test 1: No Seal. The IEM was R.
Test 2: No Seal. The IEM was R.
Test 3: Perfect Seal. The IEM was L.
Test 4: No Seal. The IEM was R.
Test 5: No Seal. The IEM was R.

Right Ear

Test 1: No Seal. The IEM was R.
Test 2: Perfect Seal. The IEM was L.
Test 3: Perfect Seal. The IEM was L.
Test 4: No Seal. The IEM was R.
Test 5: Perfect Seal. The IEM was L.

The IEM shell looks identical, but something isn't right. I'm not sure what it is, but I've never encountered this before. I'm going to e-mail Brainwavz about this and see what they have to say.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #29 of 92
Hey Keanex.. I know you're having a little problem with your M4's and might not be able to answer this but does the M4 have a sound signature similar to the new Beta's in the mids and highs at all? I own both the M1 and M2 and I really enjoy the sound signature from both of these but the sound signature from the beta's I didn't really like at all.. The beta's were too bright and bass light for my tastes and I'm not a fan of them at all..  

I was so intent on buying the M4's but after reading that they are quite bright I'm now having second thoughts.. :frowning2: Looking forward to more reviews about the M4's (hopefully before the Nov 7th early bird sale ends.. :) ) since I'd still like to give these a shot.. :)

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #30 of 92
I don't want to comment too much further on the M4 as the bass has sounded incredibly different every time as I haven't had the right ear sealed properly and it throws the balance off. At times there was no bass and shrill highs, but then I moved the right ear a bit and forced it in and felt a nice bass presence. ClieOS would be the better guy to talk to about comparing them to the M1/M2. If the Beta's were bright though I don't think you'll like these, they seem pretty bright no matter what in my testing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back