Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #93 of 794
Quote:
dragon2knight - thanks for the detailed review of the R1s. 

I'm currently tossing up between the R1 and the M4 - one thing I'm looking for in my next pair of IEMs is some strong bass. How would the R1's bass presence compare to the M4? Anyone able to comment?

Any help in helping me make up my mind would be much appreciated!

I don't think most of us have these yet. I have the M4 and I'm not really impressed by it at the moment. The JVC FX40, FXD70 and FXD80 run rings around it. Also, so does the FAD Adagio III.

Until you have them, you really can't judge them, now can you :rolleyes:
I own both the M4's and these, and the bass is much better with the R1's. I am not the biggest fan of the M4's, I always thought that they had a limited soundstage. Not so the R1's. You will have a much better experience with the R1's.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #94 of 794
Quote:
Until you have them, you really can't judge them, now can you
rolleyes.gif

I own both the M4's and these, and the bass is much better with the R1's. I am not the biggest fan of the M4's, I always thought that they had a limited soundstage. Not so the R1's. You will have a much better experience with the R1's.

Well my comment was about the M4 and I have it, so I can judge it. lol

I was talking the M4 compared to the JVCs.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #95 of 794
Quote:

Well my comment was about the M4 and I have it, so I can judge it. lol

I was talking the M4 compared to the JVCs.

Oops,sorry, read the post wrong,my bad 
smile.gif
 I never liked JVC's much, they weren't made very well, they would fall apart in my work bag. Haven't tried the latest ones yet, though, here's to hoping they are better in that department. As for the R1's they are taking abuse quite well so far, I'm not treating them lightly, I toss them in my work bag a few times a day, and almost never use the case(don't have time to wrap them up...). I like that they have strain/stress relief at the buds as well as the plug, I haven't seen this anymore on the latest Brainwavz lineup.

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #97 of 794
Quote:
Any comment about isolation?
I suppose it is just average

Isolation isn't too bad, but it all comes down to the tip you choose. I settled on the bi flange tips and got good isolation, as well as very good sound, better than the Comply tips. This, of course, is all subjective, your experience may vary depending on which tips work for you.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #100 of 794
Quote:
rolleyes.gif

Thx for the review! Decided to order a pair as well to compliment my Brainwavz collection (own M4 and M5) :wink:

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #101 of 794
I own both the M4's and these, and the bass is much better with the R1's.

Thanks for the feedback dragon2knight.

I'm now leaning towards the R1s over the M4s... but also just put the Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition on my list as well after reading some positive comments on them. Tough choice! 
regular_smile .gif

I'm looking for a pair of the Vsonics to try out myself, you can never have too many :wink:

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #102 of 794
Quote:
rolleyes.gif

Thx for the review! Decided to order a pair as well to compliment my Brainwavz collection (own M4 and M5) :wink:

They do tend to be an addiction, that Brainwavz lineup :wink:

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #103 of 794
Might go for the r1, seems really interesting considering its price, and by the way I see you(dragon2knight) owns a rockboxed clip+ which I am also intereted in, I'm just wondering how well does the parametric eq in it works? Can you set the frequency and the width of the area that the point affects?

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #104 of 794
Might go for the r1, seems really interesting considering its price, and by the way I see you(dragon2knight) owns a rockboxed clip+ which I am also intereted in, I'm just wondering how well does the parametric eq in it works? Can you set the frequency and the width of the area that the point affects?

I haven't messed around with my clip+ in nearly a year.... And when I did mess with it, I used a setup that was suggested on a forum. There are tons of settings to play with, but it can get complicated and it is easy to screw up. I played it safe.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #105 of 794
Quote:
I haven't messed around with my clip+ in nearly a year.... And when I did mess with it, I used a setup that was suggested on a forum. There are tons of settings to play with, but it can get complicated and it is easy to screw up. I played it safe.

So did you get a balanced sound from the r1 because you used the settings (I suppose that is eq setting?) on your clip+ or is it balanced on its own?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back