Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Jan 22, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #841 of 1,463
My first impressions on B400 after a week listening to them. Of course these ar very persona and subjective; your mileage may be different.

My musical tastes are wide: from Monteverdi to Jay-z, with Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Bonnie Raitt, Mary Gauthier and Tom Waits as my preferred musicians. I know that finding the all-round headphone performer is, perhaps, an imposible task. Source used: FLAC (CD and HD) played on Fiio X5 II, High gain, volume between 40 and 55

My previous headphone rig: AKG K240 (early 90's), Stax 3030 classic system (2007), Mee audio M6-Pro and P1 (last year)

Quite comfortable, but the insertion must be done with care to get the right positioning for proper seal. I'm currently using the stock silicone tips (M size). I gave up using foam tips as they kill part of the treble. They are big, compared to single dynamic IEMs as my P1.

A few miliwatts sufice for getting them loud, but I haven't heard them with smartphones, so I don't know if the sound quality is on a par with better amps.

Soudwise I find them quite neutral (but uppoer.treble weak), with coherent médium-size soundstage, good amunt of microdetail, quite fast with transients. Superb rendering of voices and acoustic instruments (strings, piano, acoustic guitars, etc.).

Bass is rendered with spot on volume but is not as fast and punchy as my P1. Better for classical. americana, classic rock than electronic and rap music.

Treble, oh treble! If the upper-treble had more volume, B400 would have been a masterpiece. Although they seldom show sibilance, records of big orchestra and chorus suffer from reduced soundstage and some difficulty to identify individual instruments.

Overall, a very nice IEM, better all-rounder headphone I've ever had, easy to drive, able to reproduce a wide array of music naturally and pleasantly. Brainwavz deserves praise for this great headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #842 of 1,463
My first impressions on B400 after a week listening to them. Of course these ar very persona and subjective; your mileage may be different.

My musical tastes are wide: from Monteverdi to Jay-z, with Bach, Mozart, Bethoveen, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Neil Young and Tom Waits as my preferred musicians. I know that finding the all-round headphone performer is, perhaps, an imposible task. Source used: Fiio X5 II, High gain, volume between 40 and 55

My previous headphone rig: AKG K240 (early 90's), Stax 3030 classic system (2007), Mee audio M6-Pro and P1 (last year)

Quite comfortable, but the insertion must be done with care to get the right positioning for proper seal. I'm currently using the stock silicone tips (M size). I gave up using foam tips as they kill part of the treble. They are big, compared to single dynamic IEMs as my P1.

A few miliwatts sufice for getting them loud, but I haven't heard them with smartphones, so I don't know if the sound quality is on a par with better amps.

Soudwise I find them quite neutral (but uppoer.treble weak), with coherent médium-size soundstage, good amunt of microdetail, quite fast with transients. Superb rendering of voices and acoustic instruments (strings, piano, acoustic guitars, etc.).

Bass is rendered with spot on volume but is not as fast and punchy as my P1. Better for classical. americana, classic rock than electronic and rap music.

Treble, oh treble! If the upper-treble had more volume, B400 would have been a masterpiece. Good for sibilance (seldom heard) but big orchestra and chorus suffer from reduced soundstage and some difficulty to identify individual instruments.

Overall, a very nice IEM, better all-rounder headphone I've ever had, easy to drive, able to reproduce a wide array of music naturally and pleasantly. Brainwavz deserves praise for this great headphone.
Nice impressions ,

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #843 of 1,463
Good for sibilance
Whoa, man. While I'm waiting for my package arrival, care to expound a liddle? Im ok with thicc enough mids body to render a pleasant kind of sibilance, like those 'sss' and 'shh' having a wide Q factor, but what does your 'good for sibilance' mean doe?
I've only recently came out of the audio closet and am trying to absorb all that i've missed.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #844 of 1,463

My musical tastes are wide: from Monteverdi to Jay-z, with Bach, Mozart, Bethoveen, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Neil Young and Tom Waits as my preferred musicians. I know that finding the all-round headphone performer is, perhaps, an imposible task. Source used: Fiio X5 II, High gain, volume between 40 and 55

Treble, oh treble! If the upper-treble had more volume, B400 would have been a masterpiece. Good for sibilance (seldom heard) but big orchestra and chorus suffer from reduced soundstage and some difficulty to identify individual instruments.

This is exactly how I feel about them as well.

I'm really surprised that someone described the soundstage as wider than in the Havi B3P1, it's not even close imo. The B400 has a great sound but I'd also describe the soundstage width as average while layering, separation and the organic sound they present are where they really shine.

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #845 of 1,463
my new ones just got here. Compared to first gen, I like the nozzle changes. Sound does appear to be unchanged although way too early to make any solid statement on that. I liked the color on the 1st gen so am hoping they find a way to do vibrant colors molded into the next batch. The Frosty just doesn't have the same sex appeal that the bright colors did. I understand the reason they got pulled and appreciate a company willing to admit when it doesn't work and to look for a better solution, so not knocking their efforts at all, just hoping they do find a better mousetrap as it were.

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #846 of 1,463
Meself, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of width for morr height and depth. I'll have to tone down my own hype and manage my expectations this time. Don't wanna get the same earrape like from the F9pros I purchased blindly.

I'm envious of you guys who could listen to it for hours on end. You must be truly blessed with titanium diaphragms for eardrums at birth...

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #847 of 1,463
The F9 was that way for me, just brutal. The F9 Pro moved that spike just enough to be way more tolerable.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #848 of 1,463
Whoa, man. While I'm waiting for my package arrival, care to expound a liddle? Im ok with thicc enough mids body to render a pleasant kind of sibilance, like those 'sss' and 'shh' having a wide Q factor, but what does your 'good for sibilance' mean doe?
I've only recently came out of the audio closet and am trying to absorb all that i've missed.

Sorry for my poor englsh. I tried to say that B400 exhibits almost no sibilance, and I consider this as a good point. I'll edit my previous post to make this point clearer.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #849 of 1,463
This is exactly how I feel about them as well.

I'm really surprised that someone described the soundstage as wider than in the Havi B3P1, it's not even close imo. The B400 has a great sound but I'd also describe the soundstage width as average while layering, separation and the organic sound they present are where they really shine.

Hi Peter, not sure if this is me you are replying to. i wrote, "The B400 is far more enjoyable to listen to and the soundstage is WAY better". The Havi may be wider but it lacks any depth, it's ruler flat to my ears. The B400 is way more open and '3D' like. I just compared them there with some songs i like to use to test soundstage... yes, the Havi is wider... but I wouldn't say, "It's not even close". I should add that I don't use the custom tips that came with the B3 Pro... I use a more conventional medium silicone (although not sure if that would make a huge difference).

I still say the B400 is the better IEM. The Havi though is still very good properly AMP'd

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #851 of 1,463
Silicone for me. The foams cut the treble a bit and they don't need it cut. On other iems (Kz and AKG n40), I'm a firm believer in foams but not on the b400.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #853 of 1,463
Hi Peter, not sure if this is me you are replying to. i wrote, "The B400 is far more enjoyable to listen to and the soundstage is WAY better". The Havi may be wider but it lacks any depth, it's ruler flat to my ears. The B400 is way more open and '3D' like. I just compared them there with some songs i like to use to test soundstage... yes, the Havi is wider... but I wouldn't say, "It's not even close". I should add that I don't use the custom tips that came with the B3 Pro... I use a more conventional medium silicone (although not sure if that would make a huge difference).

I still say the B400 is the better IEM. The Havi though is still very good properly AMP'd

It may have been you mentioning the Havi but I was really referring to several comments in general about the soundstage width of the B400 being great. I don't think it's better than average (while the Havi's are among the widest I've heard) but all the other positive things you mention about the B400 are what makes them great to me, especially the 3D presentation. I totally agree that they're a better overall performer than the Havi's.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #854 of 1,463
Still waiting for a shipping notification... Those who have B400, which tips do you recommend? Silicone vs foam?

Silicone. Due to the B400 frequency response, the best tips are the ones that don’t attenuate treble.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #855 of 1,463
Had the weekend to listen to them for a few hours, my first impressions.

Packaging and Presentation

Very clean and nicely packaged product. The packaging is simple but gets the job done, the box sleeve isn’t actually printed but has a large sticker on the front and back with printing on it. The back of the sleeve lists a Velcro Cable Tie which wasn’t included in my package. However I have a 2nd cable option from my black friday order which it isn’t listed either. Two single use disposable wipes made for dissolving ear wax are also included but not listed. Everything else labeled on the box is included.

Build Quality

Very nice build quality - everything seems well made. The 3D printed housing material looks like acrylic material. The ‘frosted’ look is not completely uniform and not symmetrical same across the Left or Right earbuds. I suspect this is just the natural outcome of creating the frosted look, so I suppose it’s more realistic to a frosted ice look in that sense and it's not noticeable at normal viewing distance. Some people mentioned a seam issue in the housing but running my finger and inspecting it I did not notice any issues on mine, they feel smooth and were comfortable in my ears. The secondary cable’s hook look to be a shade lighter - a very dark grey instead of black. Overall everything is excellent.

Accessories

I selected my secondary cable option as the Black 3.5mm jack instead of the Balanced 2.5mm since I don’t have a use for it. I expected the main cable to be clear or white frosted so I now have two of the same black twisted cables which I could use for a backup. I guess I should have opted for one of the upgraded cables. The Carrying case is large enough to carry all the tips and included accessories and additional cables. The size is not pocketable unless you’re putting them in cargo pants or looser fit pants, you can forget it if you wear a slim or skinny cut pant. The size is small enough to carry in any bag. The shirt clip is made of plastic and has a small hook on the back. The microphonics are excellent, nearly no cable noise or very little so I didn’t need to use the clip.

Sound Quality Impressions

Personally found the sound to be very pleasing, they are detailed without being tiring, a nice wide soundstage that immediately is noticeable if you’re coming from more mass market consumer oriented IEM choices. The lows / bass is also very good, present and noticeable and dynamic enough when needed and there was not an overabundance of bass - which I prefer.

Value

No Buyer’s remorse at this price, I think this IEM outperforms for its price point since many of the big brands only gets you a 1 or 2 driver IEM at this price. Definitely best value in its class

Users who are viewing this thread

Back