Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Oct 18, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #302 of 1,463
Oct 18, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #303 of 1,463

Great review, thank you... I think you have just solid me on these. My budget is around the $200+/- range and these seem like a $500 item at a great price. I think these would be a worthy upgrade from my TFZ my love ii.

Cheers.

EDIT: Just purchased them :grin:

EDIT 2: Got my tracking number already.

EDIT 3: Don't be a fool like me.... I just noticed this :frowning2: "Head-Fi members use code HEADFI and receive 10% off their purchase at our direct store"

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #305 of 1,463

Thank you for the in depth review, i am glad you've enjoyed our B400's.

I just want to add:
  • The back small gap you pointed out on the housing is due to the 3D printing, this should be less/not noticeable on retail models, but even in your case, though there is a slight gap, the earphones are still totally sealed as we use resin glue which turns to hard plastic. This type of bonding also means the chances of the B400 housing falling apart at their seam, even after many, many years is very, very slim.
  • The cables included with Brooko review are our premium cables.
  • The retail version has all the accessories shown as well as cleaning wipes and a nozzle cleaning kit.

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #307 of 1,463
It's easy Ahmad - the B400 would be my choice simply for a comparable high quality sound, but superior fit, comfort and isolation. FWIW - here is the frequency comparison. LZ-A4 is a bit more vivid / v-shaped, B400 is a little more controlled and refined. The comfort is the big one though - I can't emphasise enough how much long-term comfort makes a difference.

b400 lza4.png

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #308 of 1,463
Ive been dying to ask you @Brooko for a comparison with these and the EN700 pro and you only went ahead and did it in your review!

Great review as always (my go to for honest, straightforward and unbiased as possible thoughts on ear gear) ... just made my final decision very difficult though....

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #309 of 1,463
Thanks - just one persons point of view though. Will be good to also get some other data points when the other reviews start arriving.

Whats your preference in terms of music, other headphones and overall tonality Griff? Perhaps I can try and make it easier.

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #310 of 1,463
Thanks - just one persons point of view though. Will be good to also get some other data points when the other reviews start arriving.

Whats your preference in terms of music, other headphones and overall tonality Griff? Perhaps I can try and make it easier.
Hi @Brooko Music wise i love old jazz (charles mingus, charlie parker etc..) fusion (Mahavishnu, portico quartet, lenny white and billy cobham) psychedelic rock, led zeppelin, beatles, who, terry reid. I also like things like Electro, prodigy, acid house/jazz and old school. You could also throw in soul, funk, motown and world music and indie to punk.

I like a big soundstage, and good clarity. I dont want to say im a basshead but i do love earth shattering rumbles (probably a result of raving in late 90s to early naughties).
I crave finer details but i dont think i would like a dry reference sound. Though something thicker and warmer would not be ideal either as i like clarity in the mids and treble.

I really have not had that many iems previously as i always had over/on ears (Alessandro MS1 modded, senn momentum 2.0 - took back as wasnt into the sound, px 100ii, Koss Portas, akg 551)
I have KZ ZS5 and i also have Tennmak Crazy Cello (cant find them though) these are my only iems iv owned.
I find the zs5 a little more revealing but it sounds thinner than cello's. I like the warmth and bass presence of the cellos but not the thicker sound and the mids and uppers dont have enough detail. Zs5 is the opposite, i find it a little dry and lite on bass and wamrth but it has more information in the upper registers.

Sorry its soo long and thanks for taking the time to advise

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #311 of 1,463
Perfect mate - shared love of Portico Quartet and Mingus, and you have a nice eclectic range there in other regions too. I'd imagine you and I share some similar tastes, although I do have a tendency toward slightly more lean and balanced monitors.

I currently have the MS Pro and AKG K553 - so I sort of know where you're coming from.

By the sound of things you'd prefer a little more of a mild V shape - and there are plenty of those around :)

For a lot of bass warmth, the Oriveti Basic - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/or...dphones-matt-black.22150/reviews#review-18759

Or the EN700 Pro (and you've seen that review).

I could give you some others but they are in much higher brackets. You'd probably enjoy the B400 - but it won't give you the dynamic bass warmth you're after. Perfect for me though :wink:

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #312 of 1,463
Ah Great, yea sounds like we like some similar stuff, not sure about Portico's new stuff, though I haven't given it a chance to be fair yet. Check out Terry Reid!

Well Cayin N3 + EN 700 pro is something I may pull the trigger on given the great price.

I really love the look of B400 Cosmic Black though (maybe I should get both...)

I was also interested in 1more quad, Cardas A8, P1s but I have lost my interest of late for varying reasons

If you want a great album for sound stage and instrument separation then:
Dub Qawwali - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Gaudi

It takes a few listens but there is some quality stuff on there for relaxing with headphones on. Its a mix of dub/electronic and traditional Indian Qawwali music. It is an ode to Ali Khan

Thanks for your time @Brooko !

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #313 of 1,463
Perfect mate - shared love of Portico Quartet and Mingus, and you have a nice eclectic range there in other regions too. I'd imagine you and I share some similar tastes, although I do have a tendency toward slightly more lean and balanced monitors.

I currently have the MS Pro and AKG K553 - so I sort of know where you're coming from.

By the sound of things you'd prefer a little more of a mild V shape - and there are plenty of those around :)

For a lot of bass warmth, the Oriveti Basic - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/or...dphones-matt-black.22150/reviews#review-18759

Or the EN700 Pro (and you've seen that review).

I could give you some others but they are in much higher brackets. You'd probably enjoy the B400 - but it won't give you the dynamic bass warmth you're after. Perfect for me though :wink:
Incidently, what others in higher brackets? just throw a name or two so I know what kind of level you are talking about,

Cheers

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #314 of 1,463
For your tastes the obvious one is the Campfire Lyra2. It was made for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back