BQEYZ in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #376 of 1,701
What do you mean by phase issues? I can confirm that my KB100 is not out of phase so I am guessing you are referring to something different... but what?

Drivers, not aligned with each other so things arrive at the ear slightly off. I posted the graph one time before, but will see if I can dig it back out. Not a big deal most of the time, but causes a little loss of coherency at times.

Jul 8, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #377 of 1,701
Drivers, not aligned with each other so things arrive at the ear slightly off. I posted the graph one time before, but will see if I can dig it back out. Not a big deal most of the time, but causes a little loss of coherency at times.
'
I don't need to see the graphs. I am happy that I have never noticed this loss of coherency with anything. I just get lost in my music, thankfully. It would drive me crazy if I started listening for that kind of thing. How would I enjoy my music? I have loved music all my life and we did not even have all this stuff back in the olden days you know.

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #378 of 1,701
'
I don't need to see the graphs. I am happy that I have never noticed this loss of coherency with anything. I just get lost in my music, thankfully. It would drive me crazy if I started listening for that kind of thing. How would I enjoy my music? I have loved music all my life and we did not even have all this stuff back in the olden days you know.

Agreed, I have to turn off and just enjoy what I am listening to at times and what is technically best is not usually what I enjoy most.

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #379 of 1,701
Agreed, I have to turn off and just enjoy what I am listening to at times and what is technically best is not usually what I enjoy most.

Why would we even want something that is technically better (whatever that means) instead of something we can enjoy more . That makes no sense to me. What is the point of music if not to enjoy.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #380 of 1,701
Why would we even want something that is technically better (whatever that means) instead of something we can enjoy. That makes so sense to me. What is the point of music if not to enjoy.

I think you kind of answered your own question. If your sole purpose is to enjoy what you like, then "technically better" is replaced with "I like better". If your purpose is to hear exactly what is being reproduced while mixing, producing, etc.... then your personal tastes have to take a backseat as you want to know what others are going to hear, and not influence the sound with your personal preferences.

A quick experiment, if you take a single set of gear with an EQ and the same source track. Listen to it 5 times and adjust the EQ to sound best to you. Take a screenshot of the EQ then reset it to zero. Have your other half do the same, then compare settings on the EQ. Chances are they wont be exactly alike and both of you would struggle if the default tuning was the other persons favorite tuning.

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #381 of 1,701
I think you kind of answered your own question. If your sole purpose is to enjoy what you like, then "technically better" is replaced with "I like better". If your purpose is to hear exactly what is being reproduced while mixing, producing, etc.... then your personal tastes have to take a backseat as you want to know what others are going to hear, and not influence the sound with your personal preferences.

A quick experiment, if you take a single set of gear with an EQ and the same source track. Listen to it 5 times and adjust the EQ to sound best to you. Take a screenshot of the EQ then reset it to zero. Have your other half do the same, then compare settings on the EQ. Chances are they wont be exactly alike and both of you would struggle if the default tuning was the other persons favorite tuning.

Neither of us uses EQ :) Both of us enjoy various sound signatures. We don't keep buying new things because we are dissatisfied with what we have... far from it. We just get curious because people in here are talking all the time about new things.

Is headfi not for music lovers?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #382 of 1,701
Why would we even want something that is technically better (whatever that means) instead of something we can enjoy. That makes so sense to me. What is the point of music if not to enjoy.

Well it all depends. I have family and friends who have no interest in understanding why they like what they like. A sort of "ignorance is bliss" attitude. Their understanding of some things is mostly just the experiences they have, and if they're not already curious or ask questions, I don't try to change that for someone, it's their choice. Personally, I like to proactively expand my experiences and understanding in many areas when possible and understand my personal biases and how and why I form the opinions I do. I pursue this by cross-comparing what is well regarded technically against what I like and try to "unpack" my experiences and understand how I work as well as the science behind things. This allows me to guide my purchases through better understanding, as well as improve my estimation of how well I'll like things based on technical reviews. For me, none of this in any way has a negative impact on my enjoyment of music, and I feel my enjoyment has improved since I'm now able to hear more of my music better thanks to having made better purchases over time.

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #383 of 1,701
Neither of us uses EQ :) Both of use enjoy various sound signatures. We don't keep buying new things because we are dissatisfied with what we have... far from it. We just get curious because people in here are talking all the time about new things.

Is headfi not for music lovers?

It is for all of us, both music lovers (which I consider myself too) and technophiles. The nice thing is we can all coexist and find things here to enjoy.

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #384 of 1,701
Primary reason why all of us are part of this hobby is because somewhere down the line we love music. Our paths to enjoy music maybe different but that doesn't make anyone here a less of a music/headphones lover.

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #385 of 1,701
DSC_0153.png

Jul 9, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #387 of 1,701

I’m actually in the middle of writing a review about them; which I will post maybe in a week. But of course they are a value, how they go up against summit-Fi is.............a complicated answer no doubt. Still if someone was looking to simply stream movies with an IPad or phone I’m pretty sure the BQ3 would be impossible to better for the price they sell for.

The BQ3 is built better than almost anything? Wild really?

Portable home theater 10 points out of a possible 10, then when you consider what they cost.......it’s surreal! Also simply listening from an IPod or IPad with EDM is super nice! They are really great. Though with any device that has a natural bass boost personality, I thought they were slightly too much. Like the 1Z has a bass boost which takes the BQ3 slightly over the top. IMO I still have to try them with the Schiit Asgard One; which typically Schiit stuff is on the colder and thinner side so it should be a nice combo. The Sony TA-ZH1ES amp was an amazing experience, as the BQ3 scales up and up? It’s wild?

But with any flat source, they are enjoyable and fun. But I’m always into a boosted lower midrange and bass? Not everyone is.

If you find the BQ3 enjoyable....

10283705.jpg

....then I highly recommend giving the KC2 a listen.

10242526.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bqeyz-kc2-2-ba-2-dd-earphone.23272/

If you're among those who enjoy a slightly emphasized bass then maybe the K2 would be a better match for you.

10244748.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #388 of 1,701
Jul 16, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #390 of 1,701
Someone posted this on one of the Facebook groups:

BQEYZ put it up on their facebook page, but no details yet. I've asked Elle Zhou for details as she is usually pretty good to tell you when things are due to be released etc. Hope to hear back from here today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back