Box/Carrying case for Grado HP-1000
Aug 28, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps, you may buy this wooden box from Taiwan headphone store. it only cost you about HK$200 each..plus shipping charge, and much affordable than other carry box.

DSC02118.jpg

sometimes...i will use it to carry my Hp1
jecklinsmile.gif

IMG_6365.jpg

Is "Taiwan headphone store" the actuall name of the shop? Is there a website? I was in Hong Kong and Taiwan only two weeks ago.
frown.gif

By the way-lovely photos of some lovely Grados!

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #17 of 22
Paul,

Sorry for the slow response. I was away over the weekend and just now noticing your follow-up question.

Joe is really down on foam when used in direct contact with phones and his latest microphones; due to the amount of time he has had to spend over the years picking the stuff out of headphones and other electronics. It's just one of those things he's learned, unfortunately, years later.

“Foam break-down” is sort of like "Sticky-Shed" syndrome is in the case of audio recording tape stock. Who would have imagined either of these problems "back in the days".

He uses clean plastic bags extensively. His cameras, lenses, guns as well as all things electronics are carefully wrapped when not in use in an effort to keep down on the amount of dust and particulate material "proving Murphy’s Law of Selective Gravitation” from being correct.

One other suggestion I should mention regarding his advice to me on the HP1000, which is likely the case as well regarding similar headsets. In the case of the HP1000s he uses daily, he washes their foam ear pads several times a month in a mild solution of “Dawn for Dishes” and warm water. After rinsing the pads thoroughly he then pats out most of the water (without compressing them too much) and then just lets the pads air dry, usually at least for overnight. He feels the oils / sweat etc. picked up by the foam pads may contribute to their premature break down. Don’t know if he’s right or not. I just do it however, just cause…. I also have several sets of pads as well…

I try to follow his example, heed his advice and consult with him on a host on the mundane things in life; such as Joe’s favorite ink pens or his thoughts regarding new toaster ovens. He’s not just a fountain of knowledge on most things related to electronics; his recipe for “gelato” or even “scrambled eggs with onions and peppers” are winners as well. What continues to amaze me about our great mentor is not just his depth of knowledge about life, but his breadth of knowledge as well. (:wink:)

Happy listening,

Martin

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the great tips. Does that mean we shouldn't store Grados in boxes with foam? That would rule out the original RS1 box and the wooden boxes they currenty sell at Grado labs.
I will now put all my Grados in zip lock bags and maybe stop using all the wooden boxes.

Thanks again!

Paul

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkamartin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paul,

Sorry for the slow response. I was away over the weekend and just now noticing your follow-up question.

Joe is really down on foam when used in direct contact with phones and his latest microphones; due to the amount of time he has had to spend over the years picking the stuff out of headphones and other electronics. It's just one of those things he's learned, unfortunately, years later.

“Foam break-down” is sort of like "Sticky-Shed" syndrome is in the case of audio recording tape stock. Who would have imagined either of these problems "back in the days".

He uses clean plastic bags extensively. His cameras, lenses, guns as well as all things electronics are carefully wrapped when not in use in an effort to keep down on the amount of dust and particulate material "proving Murphy’s Law of Selective Gravitation” from being correct.

One other suggestion I should mention regarding his advice to me on the HP1000, which is likely the case as well regarding similar headsets. In the case of the HP1000s he uses daily, he washes their foam ear pads several times a month in a mild solution of “Dawn for Dishes” and warm water. After rinsing the pads thoroughly he then pats out most of the water (without compressing them too much) and then just lets the pads air dry, usually at least for overnight. He feels the oils / sweat etc. picked up by the foam pads may contribute to their premature break down. Don’t know if he’s right or not. I just do it however, just cause…. I also have several sets of pads as well…

I try to follow his example, heed his advice and consult with him on a host on the mundane things in life; such as Joe’s favorite ink pens or his thoughts regarding new toaster ovens. He’s not just a fountain of knowledge on most things related to electronics; his recipe for “gelato” or even “scrambled eggs with onions and peppers” are winners as well. What continues to amaze me about our great mentor is not just his depth of knowledge about life, but his breadth of knowledge as well. (:wink:)

Happy listening,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the advice again.

Joe does sound very Italian-I know 'cause my mother-in-law is from Rome
smile_phones.gif

Paul

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #21 of 22

[size=medium]Paul, [/size]

[size=medium]I just noticed this one and wasn't sure if I had sent you a pm or not in response to your question.  Joe uses Ziploc bags to keep particulate matter out of his personal phones and I do as well. To me it's an inexpensive way of helping to protect your investment.  I'd think that once the phones are inside a protective covering such as a Ziploc bag you could store them in an appropriate box if you'd like.  [/size]  
[size=medium]As I may have mentioned, if not on this post then on several others, Joe regularly washes the foam ear pads on his phones using a mild concentration of Dawn for dishes and warm water.  He feels that the oils left in the ear pads from normal use contribute to their deterioration and that Dawn increases their service life.  He also has several sets of ear pads and just rotates them while the most recent set is air drying for a couple of days in a dust free environment.  [/size]  
[size=medium]Hope this helps, [/size]

[size=medium]Martin[/size]

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkamartin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paul,

Joe Grado stores his HP-1000’s in zip lock bags when not in use, even if they are inside another container. I do likewise.

Since he first introduced the HP-1000, Joe has noticed that the blue foam supplied with the original box decomposes with the passage of time and leaves deposits on the drivers and other components. The result is degradation in audio quality and a pain when it comes to restoration of these headsets. Unfortunately the problem is likely universal with foam; however the likely best countermeasure is protecting them inside an airtight bag while storing them where they are not exposed to temperature extremes.

I store mine in the same carry case I use for my portable audio recording system, which is the Hardigg im2500 Storm Case:

Hardigg Storm Cases, Lid and Utility Organizers, Organize and Protect Smaller Equipment, Lightweight, Secure, PDAs, first aid supplies, film, batteries and camera equipment

In my view, the im2500 is on the same level of excellence, in its part of life, as the HP-1000, although your mileage may vary.

Thanks,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the great tips. Does that mean we shouldn't store Grados in boxes with foam? That would rule out the original RS1 box and the wooden boxes they currenty sell at Grado labs.
I will now put all my Grados in zip lock bags and maybe stop using all the wooden boxes.

Thanks again!

Paul

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #22 of 22
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the tips again. You have indeed answered my question already. Since then I have used Ziploc bags for all my headphones and never look back. Even when I travel, I would just warp the phones and the bag with extra padding ( most of the time a towel) and throw it in a  backpack. I never put headphones back in boxes anymore unless I can fit the ziploc bag in as well.
I remember you told me about Joe throwing your blue foam away- if that is not a warning for all people who store their HP1000 inside their original boxes, I don't know what is.

As usual, you posts are a joy to read.

Cheers.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back