Box/Carrying case for Grado HP-1000
Aug 26, 2009 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pcf

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

Just want to get some advice from HP-1000 owners:

I have a pair of Grado HP-1 without the original box. Any suggestions about storage or carrying cases? I had some good advice from Wilson who sold me the phones. Any more ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 22
Hope you don't mind the suggestion, but have you considered the Grado wooden boxes that sell for $75? Steep price IMO, but it may be the ticket for you.

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope you don't mind the suggestion, but have you considered the Grado wooden boxes that sell for $75? Steep price IMO, but it may be the ticket for you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have both of those wooden boxes (RS1 and GS1000). The HP-1 have a wider headband and won't fit into either of them.

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 22
Aug 26, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 22
Aug 26, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 22
ALUMINUM LAPTOP BRIEFCASE CAMERA ATTACHÉ HARD CASE BAG - eBay (item 380098026121 end time Sep-15-09 18:00:00 PDT)

It is a bit bigger than I'd like, but it does the job
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 22
Aug 26, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 22
On the page of the Grado wooden box is specified:

"Let us know which headphone you’ll be storing."

Perhaps they can provide you a customized box for HP1's.

However the Aluminium Hard Case Bag on Ebay is a great choice because you can easily customize.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 22
The HP-1000 is really tough. You don't need to protect it.
wink.gif

Also take a look at Pelican cases. There's an assortment of sizes, they're built well and are waterproof.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 22
Thanks guy! All very good suggestions.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 22
Paul,

Joe Grado stores his HP-1000’s in zip lock bags when not in use, even if they are inside another container. I do likewise.

Since he first introduced the HP-1000, Joe has noticed that the blue foam supplied with the original box decomposes with the passage of time and leaves deposits on the drivers and other components. The result is degradation in audio quality and a pain when it comes to restoration of these headsets. Unfortunately the problem is likely universal with foam; however the likely best countermeasure is protecting them inside an airtight bag while storing them where they are not exposed to temperature extremes.

I store mine in the same carry case I use for my portable audio recording system, which is the Hardigg im2500 Storm Case:

Hardigg Storm Cases, Lid and Utility Organizers, Organize and Protect Smaller Equipment, Lightweight, Secure, PDAs, first aid supplies, film, batteries and camera equipment

In my view, the im2500 is on the same level of excellence, in its part of life, as the HP-1000, although your mileage may vary.

Thanks,

Martin
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Just want to get some advice from HP-1000 owners:

I have a pair of Grado HP-1 without the original box. Any suggestions about storage or carrying cases? I had some good advice from Wilson who sold me the phones. Any more ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have both of those wooden boxes (RS1 and GS1000). The HP-1 have a wider headband and won't fit into either of them.

I have my Hp2s in a new wooden Grado Gs1000 box I just cut the foam
to make it fit.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkamartin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paul,

Joe Grado stores his HP-1000’s in zip lock bags when not in use, even if they are inside another container. I do likewise.

Since he first introduced the HP-1000, Joe has noticed that the blue foam supplied with the original box decomposes with the passage of time and leaves deposits on the drivers and other components. The result is degradation in audio quality and a pain when it comes to restoration of these headsets. Unfortunately the problem is likely universal with foam; however the likely best countermeasure is protecting them inside an airtight bag while storing them where they are not exposed to temperature extremes.

I store mine in the same carry case I use for my portable audio recording system, which is the Hardigg im2500 Storm Case:

Hardigg Storm Cases, Lid and Utility Organizers, Organize and Protect Smaller Equipment, Lightweight, Secure, PDAs, first aid supplies, film, batteries and camera equipment

In my view, the im2500 is on the same level of excellence, in its part of life, as the HP-1000, although your mileage may vary.

Thanks,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the great tips. Does that mean we shouldn't store Grados in boxes with foam? That would rule out the original RS1 box and the wooden boxes they currenty sell at Grado labs.
I will now put all my Grados in zip lock bags and maybe stop using all the wooden boxes.

Thanks again!

Paul

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #15 of 22
perhaps, you may buy this wooden box from Taiwan headphone store. it only cost you about HK$200 each..plus shipping charge, and much affordable than other carry box.

DSC02118.jpg

sometimes...i will use it to carry my Hp1
jecklinsmile.gif

IMG_6365.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back