Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Apr 7, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #2,131 of 2,191
Is anyone able to compare the Px7 S2 or Px8 with the M&D MW75 and Beoplay HX?
Yup.

I got the PX7 S2 yesterday and have clocked about 5 hrs on them, I also have the PX8, Momentum 4 and MW75.

The PX7 S2 are unmistakenly B&W, in terms of house sound. Their strong point is soundstage & bass response. The staging is very big for a bluetooth headphone, the M4 and MW75 both feel small in comparison for different reasons - M4 is much narrower in width, while mW75 feels constrained in it's imaging, it is like a corridor of sound.

The MW75 is, frankly, not a good headphone. When compared to the M4 & PX7 S2 it's shortcomings are glaring, it has treble spikes, sibilance, and sets a strange soundstage which reminds me of the Focal Celestee, like a narrow corridor. I took it to Convince me audios house, a youtube reviewer, and showed them to him unprompted. He literally said everything I did, mentioning in particular some big issues in the treble that I noticed. I wouldn't buy the MW75 for £200 let alone £550, and when you A/B with the Momentums and PX7 S2 it's legitimately amusing M&D are charging this much.

The PX8 have a good edge on the PX7 S2 & M4, unfortunately as I was hoping the cheaper pair would edge close in sound. Particularly in the mid range, vocals on the s2 (and momentum for that matter) present a small image, sometimes lack resolution, sometimes sound harsh, on both. They're not bad by any means, but the PX8 takes the mid range in general to another level, with a much more open sound in this range. The PX8 also presents more detail, is more comfortable, and has a more natural timbre. It is a noticable jump in sound, and one I'd consider paying personally as going from £380 - £600 isn't too huge, if you consider the materials and comfort improve too.

That said the PX7 S2 and Momentum 4 are both great. For different reasons, but stellar and aeons above the Airpods Max & MW75 for my tastes.

Master & Dynamic sadly don't make good headphones from what I can tell, but they do make beautiful headphones. I have tried a bunch of units out now, MW65, MW08, MW07 plus, MH40, and none of them have been competitive. To be fair to them, it's a small startup company with no audio pedigree, competing with giants like Sennheiser, Bowers, Focal, and so on, it would be remarkable if they could compete, alas they cannot. The thing they do well is tight, punchy bass. A basshead could really love them, but they'd have to be deaf to other technical flaws and certainly not test them side by side with competitors.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #2,132 of 2,191
Yup.

I got the PX7 S2 yesterday and have clocked about 5 hrs on them, I also have the PX8, Momentum 4 and MW75.

The PX7 S2 are unmistakenly B&W, in terms of house sound. Their strong point is soundstage & bass response. The staging is very big for a bluetooth headphone, the M4 and MW75 both feel small in comparison for different reasons - M4 is much narrower in width, while mW75 feels constrained in it's imaging, it is like a corridor of sound.

The MW75 is, frankly, not a good headphone. When compared to the M4 & PX7 S2 it's shortcomings are glaring, it has treble spikes, sibilance, and sets a strange soundstage which reminds me of the Focal Celestee, like a narrow corridor. I took it to Convince me audios house, a youtube reviewer, and showed them to him unprompted. He literally said everything I did, mentioning in particular some big issues in the treble that I noticed. I wouldn't buy the MW75 for £200 let alone £550, and when you A/B with the Momentums and PX7 S2 it's legitimately amusing M&D are charging this much.

The PX8 have a good edge on the PX7 S2 & M4, unfortunately as I was hoping the cheaper pair would edge close in sound. Particularly in the mid range, vocals on the s2 (and momentum for that matter) present a small image, sometimes lack resolution, sometimes sound harsh, on both. They're not bad by any means, but the PX8 takes the mid range in general to another level, with a much more open sound in this range. The PX8 also presents more detail, is more comfortable, and has a more natural timbre. It is a noticable jump in sound, and one I'd consider paying personally as going from £380 - £600 isn't too huge, if you consider the materials and comfort improve too.

That said the PX7 S2 and Momentum 4 are both great. For different reasons, but stellar and aeons above the Airpods Max & MW75 for my tastes.

Master & Dynamic sadly don't make good headphones from what I can tell, but they do make beautiful headphones. I have tried a bunch of units out now, MW65, MW08, MW07 plus, MH40, and none of them have been competitive. To be fair to them, it's a small startup company with no audio pedigree, competing with giants like Sennheiser, Bowers, Focal, and so on, it would be remarkable if they could compete, alas they cannot. The thing they do well is tight, punchy bass. A basshead could really love them, but they'd have to be deaf to other technical flaws and certainly not test them side by side with competitors.

Thanks a lot for the write-up man!

Unfortunately I purchased the MW75 a couple of hours ago 🤣

Guess I'll return them in case!

Anyway I also really look forward to trying the new babies from B&W.

Jul 4, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #2,133 of 2,191
The usb c to 3.5mm cable, anybody know of one which comes with an in line mic/remote so you can make calls which cabled.

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #2,134 of 2,191
Yup.

thanks for that review, you can almost tell while listening to the Px7v2 its just almost missing that mid detail and extra oomph no wonder why they left the px8 to fill that gap. Its odd since several others have around the net I have heard suggest not to spend the extra money on the PX8 over px7v2 but id feel your review is more accurate and also the reasoning why the px8 is out there, wish I had the funds... wish I spotted it for £375 on amazon pre owned 3 days ago.... but that is life!

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #2,135 of 2,191
Got my PX7 v2s (Amazon clearance) but finding great difficulty in using these pair of BT headphones between my TV, PC and android phone (all up to date 2022/3) devices
and PX7v2 updated to firmware 3.0.

The sound basically cuts off while watching TV randomly, am 1 meter away from it. Happens on the phone sometimes or PC when playing back an YT video also, I can also see the devices are still connected yet no volume I have to reboot the devices few times to get sound back. I find it improves and behaves better when I started switching off the PC BT dongle or turning off phone....

Is this normal behavior for the sound to just randomly stop?

Or it looks like I have a duff unit perhaps.

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #2,136 of 2,191
thanks for that review, you can almost tell while listening to the Px7v2 its just almost missing that mid detail and extra oomph no wonder why they left the px8 to fill that gap. Its odd since several others have around the net I have heard suggest not to spend the extra money on the PX8 over px7v2 but id feel your review is more accurate and also the reasoning why the px8 is out there, wish I had the funds... wish I spotted it for £375 on amazon pre owned 3 days ago.... but that is life!
I have the px7 s2 and have listened to the Px8. While the Px8 are undeniably better...I don't know that they are almost double the price (at least on Canada) better. I'd still like a pair though 😁

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #2,137 of 2,191
Got my PX7 v2s (Amazon clearance) but finding great difficulty in using these pair of BT headphones between my TV, PC and android phone (all up to date 2022/3) devices
and PX7v2 updated to firmware 3.0.

The sound basically cuts off while watching TV randomly, am 1 meter away from it. Happens on the phone sometimes or PC when playing back an YT video also, I can also see the devices are still connected yet no volume I have to reboot the devices few times to get sound back. I find it improves and behaves better when I started switching off the PC BT dongle or turning off phone....

Is this normal behavior for the sound to just randomly stop?

Or it looks like I have a duff unit perhaps.

Can you please confirm that if you switch off the computer BT, and use the headphones just between phone and TV, you don't encounter this issue?

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #2,139 of 2,191
Can you please confirm that if you switch off the computer BT, and use the headphones just between phone and TV, you don't encounter this issue?

I tested this more even with PC and phone off the sound still cuts off on the px7v2 unit, the TV still shows the device as connected but no sound.

Its probably a duff unit, maybe why the previous user returned it back to Amazon warehouse.

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #2,140 of 2,191
I have the px7 s2 and have listened to the Px8. While the Px8 are undeniably better...I don't know that they are almost double the price (at least on Canada) better. I'd still like a pair though 😁

Keep checking the amazon warehouse deals and during Amazon day and black friday here in UK we got lucky lately, we had 30% discount applied on Amazon warehouse returns some got real bargains.

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #2,141 of 2,191
Keep checking the amazon warehouse deals and during Amazon day and black friday here in UK we got lucky lately, we had 30% discount applied on Amazon warehouse returns some got real bargains.
It's definitely tempting

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #2,144 of 2,191
The new launch Px7 S2e just today.

I must say, this really concerns me.

According to the specs sheet on their website, they're 100% identical to Px7 S2 (which by the way are now on sale for £199 on the B&O website), so why relaunch them?

I fear they've discovered an actual issue with the original Px7 S2 that they now have addressed with S2e.

But what is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back