Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 16, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #2,101 of 2,191
I had the PX8 007 Edition to try for one day. The sound quality is on another level than both PX7 / PX7 S2, which was to be expected given the driver tech / price. Better resolution, and ballance along all frequencies. And better imaging/separation. But the soundstage is narrow as the S2. Less space for the ear, got hot quicker.

Anyways here's what I use with Spotify/Wavelet - PX7 Space Gray to shave off some of the zing, lift the vocals a bit, and just a smidge down at bass, a bit cleaner and even sound. You can start here and tweak for your ear:
Screenshot_20221115_151348_Wavelet.jpg
Excellent, and please take no offense to this. I would never EQ a headphone like this. It just shows people's differences in hearing and other...
Amazing 👍
Thank you for sharing...

Nov 16, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #2,102 of 2,191
I had the PX8 007 Edition to try for one day. The sound quality is on another level than both PX7 / PX7 S2, which was to be expected given the driver tech / price. Better resolution, and ballance along all frequencies. And better imaging/separation. But the soundstage is narrow as the S2. Less space for the ear, got hot quicker.

Anyways here's what I use with Spotify/Wavelet - PX7 Space Gray to shave off some of the zing, lift the vocals a bit, and just a smidge down at bass, a bit cleaner and even sound. You can start here and tweak for your ear:
Appreciate the impressions on the Px8. Still on the fence about it. Regret not buying at $550.
Excellent, and please take no offense to this. I would never EQ a headphone like this. It just shows people's differences in hearing and other...
Amazing 👍
Thank you for sharing...
Agreed. I also find it very interesting to see differences in hearing and preferences. My Px7 S2 EQ is currently set at -1.5 db bass and +1 db treble, which is very different from the above EQ. Again, personal preferences and very subjective. I do appreciate seeing what EQ others are using.

On a separate note, I just got back from my first trip without wired IEMs. Went from NY to CA and back(10-12 hours with layovers) and took my Px7 S2 and Senn MTW3 (along with Sony Linkbuds for calls). Mostly used the Px7 S2 and the ANC worked great on the plane (may not be the best but it was more than enough). USB C connection allowed me to use the plane's in-flight entertainment system and I was able to watch football on Sunday and a few movies. Audio was very clear and worked really well. Only thing that surprised me was that when I was using the 3.5mm to USB C connection, the volume buttons on the headphone don't seem to do anything. Instead, I had to control volume using the touch screen on the plane. This was a bit puzzling to me since you need to power on the device to use it in wired mode. Otherwise, I was very happy with the performance of the Px7 S2 for air travel.

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #2,103 of 2,191
Amazing 👍
Thank you for sharing...
Thank you, no offense taken, but - no offense - I don't quite understand your statement:
"I would never eq A headphone like this" , because you surely would EQ a headphone like this if this would give the result you're after :)
Maybe you wouldn't EQ the PX7 like this - that I understand. :)
Just to be clear, the EQ above is for the original PX7, not the S2 and not the PX8 and was meant to make the sound more balanced.

My Px7 S2 EQ is currently set at -1.5 db bass and +1 db treble, which is very different from the above EQ.

Just to clarify - My EQ was for the original PX7 not the S2 so it makes no sense to compare because they sound very different stock.

Nov 17, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #2,104 of 2,191
Only thing that surprised me was that when I was using the 3.5mm to USB C connection, the volume buttons on the headphone don't seem to do anything. Instead, I had to control volume using the touch screen on the plane. This was a bit puzzling to me since you need to power on the device to use it in wired mode.

That is because volume buttons are linked to the Bluetooth controller and part of the Bluetooth specification. They work in a different way than in-line volume on cable headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #2,105 of 2,191
Well, I had returned these headphones a couple months ago, took a detour to the Kef Mu7 and the Focal Bathys. But I came back to these, as I found them for $250 new from the B&W site, and with those aftermarket lambskin pads they're just the most comfortable. And the sound signature is just fun and the ANC is more than adequate.

Dec 1, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #2,107 of 2,191
Just got the PX7 S2 (in blue). Haven't used them much yet but so far they sound great! Really fun sound, slightly less detailed and clear compared to the Px8, but not enough that I want to immediately jump to the Px8

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #2,109 of 2,191
For those in the US, it looks like B&W is running a sale on the Px7 S2. They are $329 pretty much everywhere right now.

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #2,111 of 2,191
Last week I had to return my B&W PX7 due to a dead left ear cup, then my Sennheiser Momentum 4 right earbud also died. I owned them both less than a year. These Bluetooth headphones are not reliable at all. I suggest you all take out a long SquareTrade policy when you buy them.

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #2,113 of 2,191
Sigh, my right earcup just died/is dieing. Without me doing anything (i.e. hitting it against something or whatever), it started dropping sound constantly, and if I jossle it/flick it I can bring it back for split second. I guess some solder contact broke inside. Anyone have any luck repairing these? I fear try to tear these apart to find out....

I was generally happy with them, but this is my third pair. My last pair had a physical fault after a year, and these replacement ones (which I had to push for as they tried to claim a clear manufacturing default was my fault from use) now only lasted about 1.5 years. So I am well out of warranty.

Any suggestions? The bluetooth field looks much the same as 3.5 years ago when I first bought these which is depressing. I generally have no faith in B&W for their build quality/customer service, and then when I look at the price on the PX7s2 or the PX8 I just cringe. No way I will invest that much on something I have no faith in.

I see the Sony XM4/5 is listed as top of the pack for ANC, etc, but I am curious if anything else out there has a great combination of ANC + Sound Quality + usable under widows/macOS?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #2,114 of 2,191
Sigh, my right earcup just died/is dieing. Without me doing anything (i.e. hitting it against something or whatever), it started dropping sound constantly, and if I jossle it/flick it I can bring it back for split second. I guess some solder contact broke inside. Anyone have any luck repairing these? I fear try to tear these apart to find out....

I was generally happy with them, but this is my third pair. My last pair had a physical fault after a year, and these replacement ones (which I had to push for as they tried to claim a clear manufacturing default was my fault from use) now only lasted about 1.5 years. So I am well out of warranty.

Any suggestions? The bluetooth field looks much the same as 3.5 years ago when I first bought these which is depressing. I generally have no faith in B&W for their build quality/customer service, and then when I look at the price on the PX7s2 or the PX8 I just cringe. No way I will invest that much on something I have no faith in.

I see the Sony XM4/5 is listed as top of the pack for ANC, etc, but I am curious if anything else out there has a great combination of ANC + Sound Quality + usable under widows/macOS?

Send them to a tv/electronics repair place and see how much they will charge for resoldering the driver to the cable or board.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #2,115 of 2,191

Amazing... I just packed my pair this weekend to send back for the EXACT same reason. Used them for 15 months. Right channel died exactly as you're describing. Never abused them... 😕

Users who are viewing this thread

Back