Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 2, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #2,086 of 2,191
Precisely my experience. And the clamping force is definitely uneven because of the position of the joint arm. The original Px7 fits way better, and the sound is excellent
Yep, I'll echo that sentiment. PX7 is more comfortable, even more so with the lambskin pad upgrade (from alibaba)

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #2,087 of 2,191
Yep, I'll echo that sentiment. PX7 is more comfortable, even more so with the lambskin pad upgrade (from alibaba)
Thanks to your recommendation, I've got a pair for on the way, for both my wife and I.
Random question for everyone here as I can't seem to find it anywhere searching online, but what were the drivers made of in the PX7? Mainly curious about long-term degradation.

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #2,088 of 2,191
Thanks to your recommendation, I've got a pair for on the way, for both my wife and I.
Random question for everyone here as I can't seem to find it anywhere searching online, but what were the drivers made of in the PX7? Mainly curious about long-term degradation.
The battery will be dead long before the drivers start degrading, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Oct 6, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #2,089 of 2,191
Picked up my PX7S2 today and i'm loving it. Compared to the M4, Sennheiser went for a soft relaxed sound especially in the bass that i do not like. The bass on the Senn has a pillowy (for a lack of better word) kind of attack that sounds really pleasing in the HD560s and MTW3 which i both love but the M4 doesn't reach that level of enjoyment for me. I prefer the dry and more precise, impactful bass of the PX7S2. Also the PX7S2 has the better tonality overall, it's just spot on. The M4 just sounded meh after the great M3 (minus some bass) which i hoped Sennheiser would improve on further, however they went for something different, something safe for the majority. PX7S2 is also more textured and detailed (slightly). The thing that the M4 has going for it is the wide soundstage and better depth, the PX7S2 can sound a little cramped at times.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #2,090 of 2,191
For B&W PX7 S1 owners who want more headband grip and/or want to protect the headband from regular use wear, this one is single-hand-held-size and will need some positioning for the center of your head, but will not detract the original look as much as a full headband cover:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804154845307.html

For B&W PX7 S2 and PX8 owners who want more headband grip and/or want to protect the headband from regular use wear, this one is larger and should fit perfectly:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832830958745.html

Oct 9, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #2,093 of 2,191
I had the chance to try the PX7 S2 headphones at an audio store here in Sydney. I found when using them on my LGV30, the volume was way too low. Doesn't appear to be an option of increasing the volume in the Bowers app, as you can in the Sony app (I currently have WH-1000XM3 headphones).

I changed over to my iPhone & the volume was much improved, but still was over 3/4 of the way up to get to the volume I like listening at. Should add, I don't like my volume being ridiculously high.

John Darko has also done a video comparing the XM5 to these if anyone is interested.

Oct 9, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #2,094 of 2,191
I had the chance to try the PX7 S2 headphones at an audio store here in Sydney. I found when using them on my LGV30, the volume was way too low. Doesn't appear to be an option of increasing the volume in the Bowers app, as you can in the Sony app (I currently have WH-1000XM3 headphones).

I changed over to my iPhone & the volume was much improved, but still was over 3/4 of the way up to get to the volume I like listening at. Should add, I don't like my volume being ridiculously high.

John Darko has also done a video comparing the XM5 to these if anyone is interested.
I don't find these lacking in volume at all on Android. I usually use with a LG V60, Samsung Galaxy S22+ and a Creative BT-W4 adapter on my Windows laptop and work PC. Never get close to 50% volume, even when on a NYC subway. Currently listening on my V60 at 25% volume. 50% volume on my V60 is already too loud for me. Don't even have to meas with any settings like absolute volume (I have never had to with any of my bluetooth devices). Also, are you sure the volume in the Sony app is separate from the device volume? I dont have the XM3s or XM5s but they certainly arent separate on my Sony Linkbuds. May be an issue with settings on your V30.

Oct 11, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #2,096 of 2,191
I don't find these lacking in volume at all on Android. I usually use with a LG V60, Samsung Galaxy S22+ and a Creative BT-W4 adapter on my Windows laptop and work PC. Never get close to 50% volume, even when on a NYC subway. Currently listening on my V60 at 25% volume. 50% volume on my V60 is already too loud for me. Don't even have to meas with any settings like absolute volume (I have never had to with any of my bluetooth devices). Also, are you sure the volume in the Sony app is separate from the device volume? I dont have the XM3s or XM5s but they certainly arent separate on my Sony Linkbuds. May be an issue with settings on your V30.
I'm wondering if the volume on the headphones is separate to the phones?

Definitely, on the LGv30 the volume is separate in the Sony app & phone. It's not the case on my iPhone unfortunately, though I have enough volume to play with on that device.

Nov 14, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #2,097 of 2,191
I got the carbons here. Judging from memory these have slightly less soundstage than the regular model. Though depth is still above average. The mids and treble seem cleaner. Nice cristaline treble zing with good resolution.

Bass is thick and thumpy.

Airpods max sounds more correct but the px7 carbon is fun.

Nov 14, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #2,098 of 2,191
I got the carbons here. Judging from memory these have slightly less soundstage than the regular model. Though depth is still above average. The mids and treble seem cleaner. Nice cristaline treble zing with good resolution.

Bass is thick and thumpy.

Airpods max sounds more correct but the px7 carbon is fun.
You should try the new PX7 S2 or PX8

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #2,099 of 2,191
Nov 15, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #2,100 of 2,191
I had the PX8 007 Edition to try for one day. The sound quality is on another level than both PX7 / PX7 S2, which was to be expected given the driver tech / price. Better resolution, and ballance along all frequencies. And better imaging/separation. But the soundstage is narrow as the S2. Less space for the ear, got hot quicker.

Anyways here's what I use with Spotify/Wavelet - PX7 Space Gray to shave off some of the zing, lift the vocals a bit, and just a smidge down at bass, a bit cleaner and even sound. You can start here and tweak for your ear:

Screenshot_20221115_151348_Wavelet.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back