Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Aug 21, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #1,921 of 2,191
I had the p9 some years ago.For me,it was to warm and dark sounding.It was like it was an blanket over over the details if that make sense.What i liked about it,was that it sounded really good on movies.It was like you where in a cinema,where the sound is a little dark and puncy/deep bass.
Yup for sure, its amazing for movies and games. It's a very detailed headphone on the right source, and does female vocals, in some cases, better than my Stellia. It has weaknesses and strengths.
It's largely why im so interested in this px8!

Aug 24, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #1,922 of 2,191
So these lambskin leather ear pads made to fit the B&W PX7 S1 and Carbon for $6 USD each (shipping other fees are separate and will vary by your shipping destination) came recently and I must say that I am rather satisfied with the fit, comfort, and lack of change in the overall sound signature:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...mbskin-Replacement-Ear-Pad_1600525864678.html

The stock ear pads already had a tiny tear on the bottom-left inside edge of the right side, and I grew tired of the pleather feel so they needed replacement to go with my slim headband cover. Comparing the inside fabrics between the lambskin and stock ear pads, the lambskin leather ear pad's inner fabric was weaved in a diamond-like hexagonal pattern, like the skin-contact-fabric of the stock hybrid Hifiman Edition XS ear pads, whereas the stock ear pad fabric weaving is more microscopic with tiny concave dots in a more randomized lining. Thankfully, I do not really hear any audible differences between the ear pad fabrics or the overall sound signature of the PX7 S1, but the ear pad depth is another different consideration.

The lambskin ear pad openings are no more than 10mm wider than the stock ear pads in any given direction (about 4mm-7mm, really), but the depth is about 20%-25% thicker than the stock ear pads, leaving more lambskin leather sagging around the ear cup edges. Even with the lambskin ear pads and slim headband cover on the PX7 S1, the stock hard-shell case still zips up completely, just a little more snugly. Of course, since you have to adjust the headband gimbals back completely inside to put the PX7 S1 into the stock hard-shell case, you need to slide considerably more headband gimbal space to ease on the clamping and have the ear pads rotate more evenly along your ears and head. It will take a little more time, but the extra clearance from the lambskin ear pads is a definite welcome in my book.

I say this after no longer feeling a faint touching sensation from the lower part of the inner ear cups on my ear lobes with the lambskin leather ear pads. Finally, I have a full-size ear pad feeling with the PX7 S1 all around my ear and it is wonderful. But what about the overall sound? Sure, the overall sound signature sounds extremely similar, but the depth of the sound signature has changed a little bit with the ears resting a little further back from the drivers. With the stock ear pads, I could not tell much of an audible difference between no/high/low/auto noise-cancelling (or NC) modes. With the lambskin ear pads, I need to press the volume increase button once to match the stock ear pad amplification on no-NC mode, whereas the volume stays the same on high-NC mode. You typically do not need to change the volume on low-NC and auto-NC modes, but your environmental situation may change that.

Those are the differences between the lambskin leather ear pads linked above and the stock ear pads, which are overall a great welcome for my listening preferences. Even with the stock ear pads, I do not think that I could wear the PX7 S1 for more than 5 hours from my ear lobes feeling the bottom-inner-ear-cup portion all of the time. With the lambskin leather ear pads...yeah, that rated 20 hours of battery life is very understandable. As my ears become more attuned to PX7 S1 sound with the lambskin leather ear pads and slim headband cover on them, the overall sound has become more airy, yet still as visceral as B&W intended them for the listener.

For those who fly coach or econ all the time, these lambskin leather ear pads have to be very warm welcome, especially on very long flights. I also have used the shortest cable to this USB-C three-pack to charge my PX7 S1 and they go from the first instance of "low battery" to 100% full in roughly about two hours (INIU makes a bunch of different USB-C cables, but these are the exact ones that I used to get that re-charging result):

https://www.amazon.com/INIU-Charging-Braided-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B07XYJBQ5Y/ref=sr_1_3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/INIU-Charger-Charging-Braided-Samsung-Black/dp/B09DKB9PKK/ref=sr_1_5

I hope this all helps and happy listening with your B&W product. :)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #1,923 of 2,191
So these lambskin leather ear pads made to fit the B&W PX7 for $6 USD each (shipping other fees are separate and will vary by your shipping destination) each came recently and I must say that I am rather satisfied with the fit, comfort, and lack of change in the overall sound signature:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...mbskin-Replacement-Ear-Pad_1600525864678.html

The stock ear pads already had a tiny tear on the bottom-left inside edge of the right side, and I grew tired of the pleather feel so they needed replacement to go with my slim headband cover. Comparing the inside fabrics between the lambskin and stock ear pads, the lambskin leather ear pad's inner fabric was weaved in a diamond-like hexagonal pattern, like the skin-contact-fabric of the stock hybrid Hifiman Edition XS ear pads, whereas the stock ear pad fabric weaving is more microscopic with tiny concave dots in a more randomized lining. Thankfully, I do not really hear any audible differences between the ear pad fabrics or the overall sound signature of the PX7, but the ear pad depth is another different consideration.

The lambskin ear pad openings are no more than 10mm wider than the stock ear pads in any given direction (about 4mm-7mm, really), but the depth is about 20%-25% thicker than the stock ear pads, leaving more lambskin leather sagging around the ear cup edges. Even with the lambskin ear pads and slim headband cover on the PX7, the stock hard-shell case still zips up completely, just a little more snugly. Of course, since you have to adjust the headband gimbals back completely inside to put the PX7 into the stock hard-shell case, you need to slide considerably more headband gimbal space to ease on the clamping and have the ear pads rotate more evenly along your ears and head. It will take a little more time, but the extra clearance from the lambskin ear pads is a definite welcome in my book.

I say this after no longer feeling a faint touching sensation from the lower part of the inner ear cups on my ear lobes with the lambskin leather ear pads. Finally, I have a full-size ear pad feeling with the PX7 all around my ear and it is wonderful. But what about the overall sound? Sure, the overall sound signature sounds extremely similar, but the depth of the sound signature has changed a little bit with the ears resting a little further back from the drivers. With the stock ear pads, I could not tell much of an audible difference between no/high/low/auto noise-cancelling (or NC) modes. With the lambskin ear pads, I need to press the volume increase button once to match the stock ear pad amplification on no-NC mode, whereas the volume stays the same on high-NC mode. You typically do not need to change the volume on low-NC and auto-NC modes, but your environmental situation may change that.

Those are the differences between the lambskin leather ear pads linked above and the stock ear pads, which are overall a great welcome for my listening preferences. Even with the stock ear pads, I do not think that I could wear the PX7 for more than 5 hours from my ear lobes feeling the bottom-inner-ear-cup portion all of the time. With the lambskin leather ear pads...yeah, that rated 20 hours of battery life is very understandable. As my ears become more attuned to PX7 sound with the lambskin leather ear pads and slim headband cover on them, the overall sound has become more airy, yet still as visceral as B&W intended them for the listener.

For those who fly coach or econ all the time, these lambskin leather ear pads have to be very warm welcome, especially on very long flights. I also have used the shortest cable to this USB-C three-pack to charge my PX7 and they go from the first instance of "low battery" to 100% full in roughly about two hours (INIU makes a bunch of different USB-C cables, but these are the exact ones that I used to get that re-charging result):

https://www.amazon.com/INIU-Charging-Braided-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B07XYJBQ5Y/ref=sr_1_3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/INIU-Charger-Charging-Braided-Samsung-Black/dp/B09DKB9PKK/ref=sr_1_5

Great Find!

Thank You pbui44

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #1,924 of 2,191
So these lambskin leather ear pads made to fit the B&W PX7 for $6 USD each (shipping other fees are separate and will vary by your shipping destination) each came recently and I must say that I am rather satisfied with the fit, comfort, and lack of change in the overall sound signature:

The stock ear pads already had a tiny tear on the bottom-left inside edge of the right side, and I grew tired of the pleather feel so they needed replacement to go with my slim headband cover. Comparing the inside fabrics between the lambskin and stock ear pads, the lambskin leather ear pad's inner fabric was weaved in a diamond-like hexagonal pattern, like the skin-contact-fabric of the stock hybrid Hifiman Edition XS ear pads, whereas the stock ear pad fabric weaving is more microscopic with tiny concave dots in a more randomized lining. Thankfully, I do not really hear any audible differences between the ear pad fabrics or the overall sound signature of the PX7, but the ear pad depth is another different consideration.

The lambskin ear pad openings are no more than 10mm wider than the stock ear pads in any given direction (about 4mm-7mm, really), but the depth is about 20%-25% thicker than the stock ear pads, leaving more lambskin leather sagging around the ear cup edges. Even with the lambskin ear pads and slim headband cover on the PX7, the stock hard-shell case still zips up completely, just a little more snugly. Of course, since you have to adjust the headband gimbals back completely inside to put the PX7 into the stock hard-shell case, you need to slide considerably more headband gimbal space to ease on the clamping and have the ear pads rotate more evenly along your ears and head. It will take a little more time, but the extra clearance from the lambskin ear pads is a definite welcome in my book.

I say this after no longer feeling a faint touching sensation from the lower part of the inner ear cups on my ear lobes with the lambskin leather ear pads. Finally, I have a full-size ear pad feeling with the PX7 all around my ear and it is wonderful. But what about the overall sound? Sure, the overall sound signature sounds extremely similar, but the depth of the sound signature has changed a little bit with the ears resting a little further back from the drivers. With the stock ear pads, I could not tell much of an audible difference between no/high/low/auto noise-cancelling (or NC) modes. With the lambskin ear pads, I need to press the volume increase button once to match the stock ear pad amplification on no-NC mode, whereas the volume stays the same on high-NC mode. You typically do not need to change the volume on low-NC and auto-NC modes, but your environmental situation may change that.

Those are the differences between the lambskin leather ear pads linked above and the stock ear pads, which are overall a great welcome for my listening preferences. Even with the stock ear pads, I do not think that I could wear the PX7 for more than 5 hours from my ear lobes feeling the bottom-inner-ear-cup portion all of the time. With the lambskin leather ear pads...yeah, that rated 20 hours of battery life is very understandable. As my ears become more attuned to PX7 sound with the lambskin leather ear pads and slim headband cover on them, the overall sound has become more airy, yet still as visceral as B&W intended them for the listener.

For those who fly coach or econ all the time, these lambskin leather ear pads have to be very warm welcome, especially on very long flights. I also have used the shortest cable to this USB-C three-pack to charge my PX7 and they go from the first instance of "low battery" to 100% full in roughly about two hours (INIU makes a bunch of different USB-C cables, but these are the exact ones that I used to get that re-charging result):

Care to upload some pics? I'm confused about the extra leather sagging, I'd like to see the fit if you could please

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #1,925 of 2,191
Care to upload some pics? I'm confused about the extra leather sagging, I'd like to see the fit if you could please

I hope that this picture of the them will give a good view of their fit and how much extra space it takes around the outside of the ear cups:

B50326B7-084E-41B0-9092-142ACDD7659E.jpeg

Aug 25, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,926 of 2,191
Looking at the pictures of the B&W PX7 S2 ear pad retention tabs in this review (under the Call Quality heading):

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/bowers-and-wilkins-px7-s2-review/

I do not think that the lambskin leather ear pads that I linked above will fit the PX7 S2, so I have just edited my review of the ear pads to state that the only the PX7 S1 and PX7 Carbon will fit with the ear pads and that the PX7 that I have used in the review is the S1. Sorry that I did not post any pictures earlier, but the last posts before my review were from last January, so I just waited until someone asked for them to solve a specific question.

Aug 27, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #1,927 of 2,191
For those who own the S2, can you please post dimensions of the inner ear pads? Width x height x depth?

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #1,928 of 2,191
For those who own the S2, can you please post dimensions of the inner ear pads? Width x height x depth?
Approximately 6 x 4 cm. Depth is harder to determine. I don't know where to measure from. The drivers are angled, there's depth for your ears beyond where the thickness of the pads end. From the outside it's only 2 cm. But ears have space inside the headphone beyond that. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #1,929 of 2,191
Approximately 6 x 4 cm. Depth is harder to determine. I don't know where to measure from. The drivers are angled, there's depth for your ears beyond where the thickness of the pads end. From the outside it's only 2 cm. But ears have space inside the headphone beyond that. Does that make sense?
Yes, thanks. Sounds like the earcups are big enough, with the bottom part maybe touching my earlobe (my ears are roughly 66mm long).

And angled drivers will help for sure. My current XM4 just sits on my ears, cartilage starts to hurt after a while.

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #1,930 of 2,191
Yes, thanks. Sounds like the earcups are big enough, with the bottom part maybe touching my earlobe (my ears are roughly 66mm long).

And angled drivers will help for sure. My current XM4 just sits on my ears, cartilage starts to hurt after a while.
This may actually be good in your usage, I find the pressure is slightly uneven on the pad clamping force, the clamping being tighter at the top of the pads above my ears. Looser near my earlobes. This will in your case keep pressure off your earlobes, while it does still maintain a great seal it's just much less tight at the bottom

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #1,931 of 2,191
So I took off the fabric driver covers of my PX7 S1 and the sound has expectedly opened up a bit, but the ANC has also worked delightfully as a complement to the overall sound. I thought that taking off the driver covers would show how wooly the ANC was, and that was not the case. If anything, the ANC just made the overall sound signature a little smoother, instead of just slightly amplifying it, as other ANC in-ear and over-ear models I have heard or owned (Bose QC20 included). This approach reminded me of the NAIM wireless setup that I heard at RMAF 2014 in their demo room and it was rather eerie, as the RMAF has been disbanded since last year. It is a very interesting way to approach bio-cellulose drivers, like the ones used in the Denon D1xxx series.

Of course, if you shed hair regularly, then it is best to keep driver covers in the ear cups, especially if you frequently travel. However, if your warranty is already finished, then adding some mods to your PX7 may just resurrect the sound for you. :)

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,932 of 2,191
PX8's are on order, sorta.
On a whim and after a few drinks, I decided to call one of the big online retailers to see if they had a release date for the new PX8's.
While they didn't have the exact date, he said the product was already in their system (and it looks to be accurate and complete), and that he could "backorder" it for me.
I didn't quite understand what he meant and he said that when there's a backorder on a product, the minute it arrives in their warehouse it'll be sent to anyone who's backordered it first.
I asked how many people had already done so, and he said, you're the first.
I hope this means what I think it means because I rarely can get an in demand product (any product) anywhere before it sells out.

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #1,933 of 2,191
PX8's are on order, sorta.
On a whim and after a few drinks, I decided to call one of the big online retailers to see if they had a release date for the new PX8's.
While they didn't have the exact date, he said the product was already in their system (and it looks to be accurate and complete), and that he could "backorder" it for me.
I didn't quite understand what he meant and he said that when there's a backorder on a product, the minute it arrives in their warehouse it'll be sent to anyone who's backordered it first.
I asked how many people had already done so, and he said, you're the first.
I hope this means what I think it means because I rarely can get an in demand product (any product) anywhere before it sells out.

What is known about the PX8s though? Will they be the same size as the PX7? Will they be bigger? (I'd love for once to see slightly bigger wireless/ANC headphones, so they really fully fit around your ears). Will ANC be better? Will it also support LDAC? I'd like to see more details before blindly pre-ordering something at least.

And which store was this?

I do have the PX7 S2's arriving today, curious to see how I like them. Will be comparing against Momentum 4s and Technics EAH-A800, both arriving later this week. Primarily looking for comfort, followed by SQ second, as I'll mainly use these while traveling. I have other wired headphones that will probably beat all of these for SQ any day :)

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #1,934 of 2,191
What is known about the PX8s though? Will they be the same size as the PX7? Will they be bigger? (I'd love for once to see slightly bigger wireless/ANC headphones, so they really fully fit around your ears). Will ANC be better? Will it also support LDAC? I'd like to see more details before blindly pre-ordering something at least.

And which store was this?

I do have the PX7 S2's arriving today, curious to see how I like them. Will be comparing against Momentum 4s and Technics EAH-A800, both arriving later this week. Primarily looking for comfort, followed by SQ second, as I'll mainly use these while traveling. I have other wired headphones that will probably beat all of these for SQ any day :)
Well, I've got the P7's and like them a lot, and have read tidbits here and there that make me believe that the PX8's will be a huge upgrade to the P7's, so that was enough for me to pull the trigger. There are enough clues out there that make me think that they'll be a good purchase and it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Living remote, it's not like I get to try ANY phones on before buying them for comfort, so that's always a gamble and everyone is different in regards to fit. it's not like reading a review will tell you if it fits YOUR head the way you'd like, so you'd always have to try them on first.

Yeah, i agree with your last statement, but we're in a post about wireless headphones at the moment. there are plenty of times I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of sound quality for convenience.

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #1,935 of 2,191
Well, I've got the P7's and like them a lot, and have read tidbits here and there that make me believe that the PX8's will be a huge upgrade to the P7's, so that was enough for me to pull the trigger. There are enough clues out there that make me think that they'll be a good purchase and it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Living remote, it's not like I get to try ANY phones on before buying them for comfort, so that's always a gamble and everyone is different in regards to fit. it's not like reading a review will tell you if it fits YOUR head the way you'd like, so you'd always have to try them on first.

Yeah, i agree with your last statement, but we're in a post about wireless headphones at the moment. there are plenty of times I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of sound quality for convenience.

Yeah, I mean even living in a major metro area it can be hard to find stores where you can try all the headphones. In the US, it seems like only if you live in Los Angeles, NYC or San Francisco you can find such stores. The rest is mail order from online shops with good return policies (e.g. Crutchfield). Don't try it with Amazon, they'll quickly ban you if you return too much stuff (especially high value items like headphones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back