Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Jan 4, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,621 of 2,191
Why do we all assume this is what is going on:)? Couldn't be all the distrust of information, social media, and politicians could it? Anyway, when I went on B&W website it said v1.1 is the current firmware out but that dated back to Nov. 2019. Probably inaccurate. To hell with it, I'm buying a set of APM's. LOL

1.1 IS the current firmware except for the Carbon, which is 1.2

(btw - just because you presume a firmware version's number on the manufacturer's site is incorrect and that presumption drives you to spend double the money on another product - well, we are all different...)

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #1,622 of 2,191
1.1 IS the current firmware except for the Carbon, which is 1.2

(btw - just because you presume a firmware version's number on the manufacturer's site is incorrect and that presumption drives you to spend double the money on another product - well, we are all different...)
It was said tongue in cheek. That means it was a joke. Thank you for clarifying 1.2 vs. 1.1 firmware versions. I'm still curious about the differences, if any, in 1.1 vs. 1.2. I'm not buying APM's because of this and if you're being arrogant it makes sense from a Wilco fanboy.

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,623 of 2,191
Placebo effect. If the drivers and insides of the units are exactly the same how could it be possible they sound differently? Firmware? A defective unit, maybe. I think alot of what I read here is simply human nature - always wanting something better.
Best defective pair of headphones I have ever heard. Given that all noise cancelling class headphones are subject to corrective DSP, firmware will or can make a fair difference. In creating the raised silver bezel on the carbons this may have created the back plate being further away from the driver. Even a very small amount would create changes to the reflections that would alter the frequency response and need to be corrected or left as is. Look at the Meze 99 classics. Version 1 were very well regarded but some found the ear pads too shallow to accommodate their ears. Meze responded with a version by increasing the pad depth by a few mm and this resulted in a massive change to the bass frequency response which became way to booming and over powering (for many at least) my self included. Following on from that Meze created a third set of pads in between the first two. I can't now compare the greys with the carbons as I have sent them back. The point is there does not need to be a significant hardware change for the frequency response to be altered for good or bad.

To get back to the point of my original post, if you are a prospective PX7 buyer then try to have a listen to the carbons compared to the greys/silvers and then you can make your own mind up. If you already have the greys/silvers and enjoy them what difference does it make.

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #1,624 of 2,191
It was said tongue in cheek. That means it was a joke. Thank you for clarifying 1.2 vs. 1.1 firmware versions. I'm still curious about the differences, if any, in 1.1 vs. 1.2. I'm not buying APM's because of this and if you're being arrogant it makes sense from a Wilco fanboy.

OK, there was no smileys, so the tongue in cheek part got lost.

PS. What's wrong with a space janitor? (cf SpaceQuest)

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #1,625 of 2,191
Remember that B&W also have form for unannounced changes with the PX line - they changed the carry case and also changed the earpads later in life without any form of fanfare or announcement. In pack you couldn't even tell from the box/packaging which version you were actually getting.

My money is almost certainly on a seemingly simple component change which has necessitated a firmware revision.

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,627 of 2,191
Remember that B&W also have form for unannounced changes with the PX line - they changed the carry case and also changed the earpads later in life without any form of fanfare or announcement. In pack you couldn't even tell from the box/packaging which version you were actually getting.

My money is almost certainly on a seemingly simple component change which has necessitated a firmware revision.
Makes sense. I sent an inquiry into B&W and will post what I hear back from them.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,628 of 2,191
My PX7 also has clicking sound in the right ear cup ((( very disappointed. The sound like some wire clicks inside (definitely not the buttons). Also the clicks appear each time after playing the music for 10-15 minutes (after warm-up).

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #1,629 of 2,191
I bought the PX7 Carbon Edition and had the P7 Wireless before. I have to say that the sound signature of the P7 Wireless was a lot better and the sound was crispier. The bass is even less on the PX7.

Which headphone is better in your opinion, the PX7 or the B&O Beoplay H9 3rd gen?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #1,630 of 2,191
I bought the PX7 Carbon Edition and had the P7 Wireless before. I have to say that the sound signature of the P7 Wireless was a lot better and the sound was crispier. The bass is even less on the PX7.

Which headphone is better in your opinion, the PX7 or the B&O Beoplay H9 3rd gen?

If you’re coming from the P7 Wireless there’s a good chance they’ll both disappoint you. They both measure very differently from the P7W and IMO sound way worse. Look elsewhere.

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #1,631 of 2,191
If you’re coming from the P7 Wireless there’s a good chance they’ll both disappoint you. They both measure very differently from the P7W and IMO sound way worse. Look elsewhere.

So there's no headphone in the market which meets the quality of the P7 Wireless without spending 800 dollars?

I thought the PX7 was atleast better than the P7..

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #1,632 of 2,191
So there's no headphone in the market which meets the quality of the P7 Wireless without spending 800 dollars?

I thought the PX7 was atleast better than the P7..

I’ve tried quite a few of the usual higher end over-ears BT ANC headphones on the market today (A50, M3, XM3, Bose 700, etc.) as an attempt to replace my dead P7W. I consider most of them rubbish for various reasons and actually prefer some of their less expensive and talked about in these fora cousins or some TWE.

I haven’t tried the H95 and am currently trying the APM (which already has distinguished itself among other BT over-ears I’ve tried this year in that it lasted more than half an hour before I started considering sending them back).

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #1,633 of 2,191
I didn’t realize the P7 was that good. I was given a brand new pair by BMW, and I gave them to one of my sons without ever listening to them. I did enjoy the sound of the PX7, for ANC cans, but I hated how small the cups were and the pads that weren’t user replaceable.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #1,634 of 2,191
The PX7 pads are user replaceable :relaxed:

I didn’t realize the P7 was that good.
The P7W is pretty special in that it sounds delightful in loud environments as well as in relatively quiet ones. To me, the PX7 is tough to listen to in quiet environments because its low range is so emphasized while its upper range is inconsistent, but I did enjoy it immensely during my daily (and noisy) transit commute in the before-COVID times. Its automatic ANC leveler combined with its energetic sound and wide soundstage really does just make the noisy outside world fall away.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,635 of 2,191
The PX7 pads are user replaceable :relaxed:

The P7W is pretty special in that it sounds delightful in loud environments as well as in relatively quiet ones. To me, the PX7 is tough to listen to in quiet environments because its low range is so emphasized while its upper range is inconsistent, but I did enjoy it immensely during my daily (and noisy) transit commute in the before-COVID times. Its automatic ANC leveler combined with its energetic sound and wide soundstage really does just make the noisy outside world fall away.
Interesting about the pads. I thought they initially said they were not. I knew the batteries wouldn’t be, but the pads caught me by surprise. Perhaps I should rethink them in the carbon variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back