Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Dec 11, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #1,591 of 2,191
Personally I would like to see them develop a PX9 version in Carbon. They could include:-
Leather earcups and headband
LDAC as well as all the other codecs
A case that was black carbon
Total by pass of the internal dac/amp so they could be used as quality wired cans
Superior mic for phonecalls
A rocker switch for play pause track fwd/bck
Would this sell at say £549

Any thoughts?

I would buy this yes, I'd throw in 50mm drivers as well. If something like this happened I think we can thank Apple for provoking B&W into doing it.

Dec 12, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,592 of 2,191
I had 30 months of pure enjoyment from the PX but, by the end, the headband material was falling apart which coincided with Black Friday so purchased from Amazon the PX7 Carbon Edition and PI4 at £220 and £100 respectively. The PI4 was a great deal and I like them a lot but will digress. Oh, and I searched high and low as to what the actual difference is between the Carbon Edition and the regular edition and, other than aesthetics, the best I can come up with is that the PX7 is marginally lighter in weight due to the carbon fibre construction. I can't comment on the firmware difference as far beyond me.

I'm no expert, like your good selves, so I merely comment in black and white. I only used the PX with BT at home or for international air travel. Obviously no need for NC at home but did try it on a flight for which the reproduction suffered badly so never bothered again but wasn't a problem as enjoyed the cans in neutral mode on flights anyway and I'm guessing the PX7 will fare no better with NC.

Which leads on to the PX7. My main issue with the PX was lack of a hard case. I found a generic one but was too bulky for my cabin case. The new PX7 streamlined case is perfection for cans this size (not that we're going anywhere, anytime soon due to current restrictions but let's hope we can holiday abroad next year).

My next annoyance with the PX was pairing. Always had to have BT turned on on my iPhone first then power up the PX to ensure a connection first time. No problem with the PX7 which will connect in either order.

The PX ear pads weren't quite a perfect fit for my big ears but no such issue with the PX7 and find them more comfortable than the PX.

So, for me, a lot of design improvements in the PX7.

I'm now 16 days into running the PX7 at an average of three to four hours per day and my aural impression is something quite different from the PX and I can't quite put my finger on it. Not experiencing overwhelming bass as some describe just an alternative sub-level of delivery and I like it, in the same way I enjoyed the PX, just different. Have a listen to a Caribou album, Swim or Our Love.

I'm not sending the PX7 back unless they set my hair on fire or something.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #1,593 of 2,191
Great impressions, thanks for sharing!

FWIW I do agree that the PX ANC left a lot to be desired (especially on max) but the PX7 ANC is quite frankly in a different league—you may be surprised if and when you ever have the chance to use them on a flight (or in an otherwise noisy environment). And, agreed that the hard case is about the best case I've ever seen for an over-ear headphone. In my not so humble opinion the PX7 is about perfect when it comes to build quality, between the materials, fit, looks, and portability.

Glad you're enjoying the sound, too. I hope to compare the Carbons to the original PX7s at some point, just because there were aspects of the original sound that I really (detailed, spacious bass and nice layering) and some I really didn't (muffled, inconsistent mids and highs on certain tracks). The possibility of improvements in the Carbons is quite enticing, and the colorway is dead sexy.

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #1,595 of 2,191
I have about 40 hours on my px7 carbons now. I more or less completely agree with UnsaneBrain. The bass is deep and solid doesn't come across as boomy. The high are nice and extended without being to sharp. Mids can be a bit reserved but generally clean. ANC alters the sound slightly enhancing and maybe cleaning up the midrange and maybe lessening the bass. Very small change to the sound though. ANC hiss is minimal. To me these sound the closest to having speakers strapped to your head. Separation is outstanding

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #1,596 of 2,191
Hi all, I have the PX7's, I was wondering with the APM out now and people singing it's praises do you think that B&W could throw out an update to change the sound signature of these headphones?, Would love to hear a more neutral tuning on these, might actually be able to find the mids!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #1,602 of 2,191
Haven’t reports of the carbon edition differences (and different firmware version) suggested exactly this though?

I think the jury is still out on that one.

Maybe I was not clear enough what I meant - I don't think that B&W have any reason to retro-tune it's existing product in response to Apple's newcomer. Especially not to something to copy APM's signature. I wouldn't think B&W are a copycat company :)

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #1,603 of 2,191

Maybe I was not clear enough what I meant - I don't think that B&W have any reason to retro-tune it's existing product in response to Apple's newcomer. Especially not to something to copy APM's signature. I wouldn't think B&W are a copycat company :)
Yeah on that I’d agree. B&W have always followed their own (sometimes very unique) path.

I do suspect that they’re probably scratching their head right now as to what direction they go in next - they are probably one of the manufacturers (along with B&O) most impacted by the APM - due to the strong similarities for high end industrial design and interesting construction materials with superb fit and finish. Not something the likes of Sony and to a lesser degree Bose are known for.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #1,604 of 2,191
Yeah, that’s a good way to put it—the APM and PX7 are competing in about the same price bracket, at least in the sense that a typical customer who’d buy one probably wouldn’t buy the other.

From the (semi-circus) APM thread, it’s interesting that some folks liken its sound to the P7W, and have pointed out that two of the lead product/engineering folks from B&W joined Apple a few years back. Not sure what adjustments (if any) B&W might think are necessary now, but maybe the APM re-affirms that added weight for the sake of nicer materials is okay provided that it’s still comfortable to wear, and that there’s demand for a less dark/bass-heavy signature. There’s always going to be that ecosystem advantage Apple has with fast device switching and things like that, but I do think B&W have something unique and very handy with using the app to manage connected devices. I kinda just wish they’d find a way to capture the magic I remember of listening to the revealing P7 at home, and the thunderous P7W while out and about, in a physical design similar to the PX7 and with their capable and adaptive ANC. My launch space gray PX7 just kinda misses both marks right now.

Yeah... I contacted support last week to ask about any intentional acoustic changes between the original PX7 and the Carbon, and they confirmed that the sound characteristics are intended to be the same. I certainly don’t doubt anyone’s suggestions to the contrary (I’ve always found that B&W headphones to change their sound a bit over time, probably due mostly to materials relaxing and fitment changes, and I wouldn’t eliminate the possibility of silent revisions) but I think that’s revealing about the company’s stance on what, if anything, should be improved across their product line.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #1,605 of 2,191
So today the px7 carbon came by Mail. I had px until I had to use glasses so I sold them and bought momentum 3 to find bugs with Mac and iOS, delay on audio and the lows where too much for my taste and bought Bose nc700 and had them since... today I will compare these bit first impressions are not so good. I loved the sound on px. Pretty balanced and lows where tight excellent for rock. These just for a few minutes of listening seemed way v or u shape eq but I will listen carefully because if this doesn’t fit my genre I will get apm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back