Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 25, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #1,531 of 2,191
Well I tried with the PX7s, or shall I say, my girlfriend did. I find them hugely disappointing sonically, and even my girlfriend A/B’d them against the P7W and said the latter sounded like the band was in the room with you, whereas the PX7 sounds veiled in comparison with the P7. I was also having difficulty getting these to work alongside the P7 on my Avantree BT transmitter, possibly down to them using a different implementation of AptX. They work fine on their own connected to a phone/tablet/laptop, but I think we need both pairs to be the same for reliable operation and thus I'll try and get another P7 to try.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #1,533 of 2,191
Guys, what are the differences carbon edt. and normal ones?

I presume weight i think and is there anything else?

Ps: Sorry if this is a re-questioning...

Just cosmetic I think, not even weight.

There isn't any extra carbon I think.

I think I prefer the space greys.

As for sound, sometimes the bass is a bit much with bassy music but the separation and detail seems great to me and they sound good. I think I found the Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless more fatiguing for bass actually. The PX7 don't fatigue me.

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #1,537 of 2,191
For fairly quiet call use (my floor is quiet, I have an office) - are these reliable enough for a few business calls a day? Coming from QC35s that are beat to death. I know the 700s are the most natural transition but looking for something a little more fun if possible.
Fun? Px7 and m3 are pretty fun. For accuracy dali io6 or shure aonic 50

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,538 of 2,191
PX7 is roomier in the ears but has more clamping force. The M3 have softer, more comfortable ear pads. For me, the M3 is the more comfortable headphone of the 2. I have what I consider an average head size with average to smallish ears. I've heard from a couple of people that consider their heads on the larger side, that the PX7 is more comfortable for them. I actually posted in another thread a comparison of a few of the top ANC headphones I've been fortunate enough to own or have owned. I'll paste it below

For those that are curious, here's how I'd rank all these:

Sound -
1a) Shure Aonic 50
1b) Sennheiser Momentum 3
3a) Dali iO-6
3b) B&W PX7
5) NAD Viso HP70
6) Bose N700
7) Sony 1000XM3

ANC -
1) Sony 1000XM3
2) Bose N700
3) B&W PX7
4) Sennheiser Momentum 3
5) NAD Viso HP70
6) Shure Aonic 50
7) Dali iO-6

Comfort -
1) Shure Aonic 50
2) Sony 1000XM3
3a) Bose N700
3b) Sennheiser Momentum 3
5) B&W PX7
6) Dali iO-6
7) NAD Viso HP70

Phone Calls -
1) Bose N700 (Best in the business)
2) Sennheiser Momentum 3
3) Shure Aonic 50
4) Dali iO-6
5) B&W PX7
6) NAD Viso HP70
7) Sony 1000XM3

Features/Convenience - (The biggest convenience feature for me is the ability to manage connected bluetooth devices via the app, that's why the Momentum and PX7 are my top two. Bose has this as well but Sony has a better EQ, Sound Optimizer, and quick attention so I put it ahead. The Momentum beats the PX7 because it has an EQ and the PX7 doesn't. I do LOVE that the PX7 can still be connected to my phone via Bluetooth while gaming on my Xbox1 or PX4. Makes it so I don't have to ignore phone calls. Haven't tested this with the Momentum)
1) Sennheiser Momentum 3
2) B&W PX7
3) Sony 1000XM3
4) Bose N700
5) Shure Aonic 50
* The Dali and NAD don't matter as neither has an app, can be updated, eq'd, etc.

Overall -
1) Sennheiser Momentum (If I could only own one wireless anc headphone this would be it. Excellent sound, great features, great comfort, excellent for phone calls and is the only one that comes close to the Bose in this category. You'd just need to purchase a 3rd party case if you planned on traveling with them)
2) Shure Aonic 50 (If I was a traveling musician or used my wireless anc headphones for critical listening, these would be it)
3) B&W PX7 (Excellent travel headphone, unique sound signature, great features)
4) Bose N700 (Although the sound quality is mediocre, I can't argue that these are the best travel headphones on this list. Especially if you are on the phone a lot or use your voice assistant. Light, portable, compact, excellent ANC, good features, and the best mic for phone calls in the business.)
5) Sony 1000XM3 (Second best travel headphone on this list)
6) Dali iO-6 (I really loved the sound signature on these, however, they don't seal well which makes the sound without ANC enabled VERY inconsistent. Not enough modern features to compete with the rest
7) NAD Viso HP70
Can you please tell me how the sound signature of the px7 is unique? And do you consider it a good thing?

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,540 of 2,191
These are £220 on Amazon now as part of their Black Friday deals, including the Carbon Edition (which is just a black colour version)

Also the Pi4 are only £110!

Got some Pi4 too. I like them, although I found the earbud fit a bit finicky.

They have BT 5.0, ANC and AptX Adaptive too.
And the earbuds are magnetic and the music pauses when you stick them together
Quite a premium product

Real bargain at the moment

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #1,541 of 2,191
Can you please tell me how the sound signature of the px7 is unique? And do you consider it a good thing?
Unique in that they can sound brilliant on some tracks and poor on others. Its strange as ergonomics,looks,case,anc,and build are pretty much spot on. The bass on these is heavy and bloated and the treble sometimes shrill. They also are poor for phone calls. I personally much prefer the Aonic 50s which seem accurate if a little treble sharp at times.

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #1,542 of 2,191
Thought I would try a pair of the Carbons to see if there was any sonic differences. So went to pick up the 1st pair but they had broken ear cup. So I now have the second pair. To me they do appear to be to sound better but that could be because they have an updated firmware as these are on v1.2 can't find out what the differences are. They do appear to be brighter and clear still with a kick in the bass. Whether they are better than the Aonics is hard to say.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,543 of 2,191
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I may dust off my PX7s and update their firmware to compare. Over time I grew to dislike just how uneven the frequency response was in the mid to high regions (which made it especially difficult to dial back the bass via EQ without introducing sibilance) but man, sometimes I miss just how satisfying the bass slam is on these headphones. Would be nice if they smoothed out the frequency response a bit via firmware.

How do you like the appearance of the Cabons? Did you originally have the Space Gray ones?

Nov 28, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,544 of 2,191
Yes originally the space greys. Only sold them in October. Yes love the new look but surprised the quality control is poor but maybe I am just unlucky. These work fine though. I see no reference to v1.2 on the Bowers website. I have been on a strange journey as sold the space greys for the xm4s but they are not my cup of tea then bought the pxc550ii but ergonomically they are poor and quiet volume jumps too aggressive. Then the Aonic 50 which I think are superb if a tad bright they will be for home use. The px7s broken pair now the replacement which seem good.

Nov 28, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #1,545 of 2,191
Bummer about the QC—hopefully just bad luck. I do remember some folks complaining about the build quality of the PX7s when they were first introduced. I miss some of the nicer materials from the P7W but appreciate the weight savings. Perhaps the odds of mechanical issues are higher with these cheaper materials.

That said though, good call on the Shures. IMO the Aonic 50 is the single best wireless headphone available today. The PX7 is a very nice compliment for certain genres of music because its thick, weighty sound is just so damn engaging. Agreed that the Sony XM series does not compare to the PX7 (neither are going for neutral, but the PX7 bass is actually detailed and enjoyable whereas the Sonys is mostly just muddy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back