Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 14, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #1,517 of 2,191
These are currently £228 on Amazon UK!

So I got them.

First impressions are that they're very luxurious and high quality.

The buttons etc are just plastic but somehow it seems much higher quality than my other headphones (Definitive Technology Synphony 1) and the Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless I tried.

Returned the Momentums already as the earcups were too small for me, among other issues.

Button ergonomics is much better on the PX7s

The earcups are very space efficient - room is made inside behind the earpad lip. Interesting design

Clamping force is much greater than the M3s

But not too uncomfortable

The M3s slid all over my head when I tilted my head down etc so were useless when cleaning up etc

Also seems nuts to get excited about a case but again it's very solid, compact, well designed and high quality. Which is the overall impression I get from these.

The earpads of the M3s are softer I believe, and genuine leather, and looked more premium/luxurious. But that's the only area they scored for me really. Well they did look nice I guess. Their metal hinge was a total liability though - caught my finger in it and cut the skin. Not headphones to fold one handed. And very hard to get the earcups extended the same - the slider design just isn't practical

In terms of sound, didn't people complain about too large volume steps for the M3s?

I actually notice that for the PX7s - I'm want to between two volume levels really.

I listen quite quietly I think but find I need some volume for it it sound good.

I think the M3s were richer and warmer.

PX7s I notice lots of detail

I prefer the bass of the PX7s

They don't seem very bassy at all. The M3s had a snappy, fatiguing bass I found.

The PX7 bass seems to be lower end? Felt more like wind and an enveloping, rather than having snares hit my eardrums.

I do notice some sharpness, which I guess is the 10k spike.

Wear sensor far less temperamental than the M3s it seems

ANC - had some funny effects when cars passed by with auto on - I think there was a delay with it kicking in - so got a wind like effect

Call quality is apparently worse than my old Definitive Technology Symphony 1s! The other end couldn't hear me that well.

Earcups are smaller than the Symphony 1s too, with less space.

I think my ears just fit. Will see.

This album sounds good on them, can hear lots of detail:

Highly recommend the album :wink:

These will probably be my new all in one headphones.

Oct 14, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #1,518 of 2,191
Okay track 6 in that album did have a high pitched sound in the left ear. Will have to see it that happens with my old headphones etc but perhaps that is from a 10k spike

Bass perhaps is stronger than I thought and I don't think I'm into bass, but I like it. I think it's just more low end, and less punchy than the M3s. Doesn't sound muddy though just bleeds more perhaps.

They may be a less relaxed listen, but mostly I'm finding that from volume.

I used to be able to separately control headphone / bluetooth speaker and phone volume. Now changing headphone volume changes the phone / source device volume. Was that an annoying Android update introduced last year? I used to change both to fine tune the volume. This really annoys me.

Edit: Yeah, was a crappy Android update.
Enabled developer options and disabled absolute volume:
https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/146323/unsync-bluetooth-audio-volume-control

Problem solved

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,519 of 2,191
Glad you’re enjoying your PX7s! And yeah, USB should get the best possible sound out of them (especially with ANC turned off). Depending on the source aux may not sound better (or may even sound slightly worse) than wireless because of the additional digital-to-analog conversion.
I prefer the aux output with chord mojo than USB-C directly to the PC. Really it shines!

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #1,520 of 2,191
Just got a pair of these today.

I haven’t read the full thread, but someone please tell me these get better after a few hours use, or they’re going back on ebay!

I bought these for my girlfriend, but having listened to them, they sound like garbage compared to my P7 Wireless. They just sound smaller, veiled, boring. Even she noticed and she doesn’t care about hifi gear generally. Not impressed. Expected better!!

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,521 of 2,191
Just got a pair of these today.

I haven’t read the full thread, but someone please tell me these get better after a few hours use, or they’re going back on ebay!

I bought these for my girlfriend, but having listened to them, they sound like garbage compared to my P7 Wireless. They just sound smaller, veiled, boring. Even she noticed and she doesn’t care about hifi gear generally. Not impressed. Expected better!!

I had the same impressions when I got them, especially compared to my beloved PX and the P7 I once had. I was really disappointed with the PX7 sound in comparison and sold them not much later.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #1,522 of 2,191
I had the same impressions when I got them, especially compared to my beloved PX and the P7 I once had. I was really disappointed with the PX7 sound in comparison and sold them not much longer later.

Not looking good. I’m not a burn-in denier, but these would have to change enormously for them to be anywhere near the P7. They set a high bar with those headphones. These PX’s sound exactly how I imagine the WH-1000XM3 to sound. They do a better job blocking out noise, and that is it. Shame really, they look and feel lovely.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,526 of 2,191
they sound like garbage compared to my P7 Wireless.

That's my opinion too. The PX7's frequency response gives a pretty strong clue as to where the problems are. Ie, everywhere :D. The P7 Wireless is not comparable to the wired P7 but not that far off either :
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#1619/4012/348
There aren't a lot of truly good sounding ANC BT headphones these days, personally I'm struggling big time to replace my P7 wireless since they stopped working.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,527 of 2,191
That's my opinion too. The PX7's frequency response gives a pretty strong clue as to where the problems are. Ie, everywhere :D. The P7 Wireless is not comparable to the wired P7 but not that far off either :
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#1619/4012/348
There aren't a lot of truly good sounding ANC BT headphones these days, personally I'm struggling big time to replace my P7 wireless since they stopped working.

Agreed, mind, the mrs likes them, and i did kind of buy them for her (although was willing to take custody if they were an upgrade), so most likely they’ll be staying. I’ll be sticking with the P7Ws though, no doubt. Still the best pair of headphones I’ve owned.

Oct 23, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #1,528 of 2,191
Agreed, mind, the mrs likes them, and i did kind of buy them for her (although was willing to take custody if they were an upgrade), so most likely they’ll be staying. I’ll be sticking with the P7Ws though, no doubt. Still the best pair of headphones I’ve owned.

Sennheiser M3s are closer to the P7W in sound signature than the PX7s, but the bass is a bit more bloated than the P7W (which is so wonderfully taut for a BT headphone). More comfortable fit than the P7W, for my head at least. That was the major reason I sold on the P7W, which remains an amazing headphone, whether wired or connected via BT.

Oct 23, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #1,529 of 2,191
Sennheiser M3s are closer to the P7W in sound signature than the PX7s, but the bass is a bit more bloated than the P7W (which is so wonderfully taut for a BT headphone). More comfortable fit than the P7W, for my head at least. That was the major reason I sold on the P7W, which remains an amazing headphone, whether wired or connected via BT.

On my ears at least the two M3 copies I tried also sounded quite a bit different up top as well (to me quite bit harsher and peaky) - sufficiently so that even with EQing the bass down I didn't really enjoy them. They both also exhibited whining electronics noises (a bit like older modems) and distortion when playing single tones above 9000hz or so with different codecs and sources, something my P7W didn't, so perhaps either two bad copies or simply electronics that were a bit last week.

Returning to the P7W > PX > PX7 series it's quite weird how each one significantly changed in terms of sound signature instead of capitalising on the P7W's mostly excellent reviews and fairly solid measurements.

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #1,530 of 2,191
On my ears at least the two M3 copies I tried also sounded quite a bit different up top as well (to me quite bit harsher and peaky) - sufficiently so that even with EQing the bass down I didn't really enjoy them. They both also exhibited whining electronics noises (a bit like older modems) and distortion when playing single tones above 9000hz or so with different codecs and sources, something my P7W didn't, so perhaps either two bad copies or simply electronics that were a bit last week.

Returning to the P7W > PX > PX7 series it's quite weird how each one significantly changed in terms of sound signature instead of capitalising on the P7W's mostly excellent reviews and fairly solid measurements.

I've not experienced peakiness or the whining you mention with the M3s. I might just be lucky in the combo of kit used (mostly partnered with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G or an A&K Kann, as I use wired h'phones in the home and a different source (Naim Uniti Star)).

Re P7W and changing sound signatures - I guess the sound signature just did not do as well commercially for them as the revised approach in later models. I note that the P9s also got a drubbing for what I perceived, when I listened to them, as a headphone which improved on most aspects of the P7W but kept a similar signature. I only did not buy, as, again, I found the headphones uncomfortable, in this case the earcups on the P9s - hard plastic behind the padding, which was notable on the ears.

Currently own both the M3s and PX7s, and alternate between them a lot. Noise cancelling is definitely better on the PX7s than the M3s, though, which was useful in those days when I had to do a daily commute. I did have the Sony XM3s, but disliked their construction (inc creaking headband) and they only sounded ok - too much bass and a restricted soundstage. Great noise cancelling abilities though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back