Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Aug 23, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #1,501 of 2,191
I’ve had the PX7s for a couple of months. Clamping force is still higher than my previous sets - B&W P5s & Bose QC35ii - but has got better over time. Not as comfortable as the Bose but I can wear them for around two or so hours without too much discomfort.

Biggest frustration is how different these sound depending on the song. Overall, I just find them too bass heavy and this bleeds into the vocals. I know others have commented on the ‘dark’ profile but to me they are a bit too dark. Perhaps this is just my ears but I bought them based on the P5 wireless and I think the sound profile is very different to those.

Music that is well recorded and ‘spacious’ is where the PX7s shine - Steely Dan is a great example (‘Hey Nineteen’ is my go to headphone testing track). Push hard rock or live albums and the mid-bass overwhelms everything - ‘The Anarchist’ from Rush R40 live album is an example the drumming at the beginning sounds overblown and ‘hollow’. The R40 album becomes unlistenable on the PX7s but is fine on the P5s.

Never experienced this difference by song/genre in other headphones, particularly disappointing considering no EQ function and that they have been specifically tuned for quality

I do like a fair bit of bass but not quite the amount the PX7s have. Seems like a trend with ANC phones these days apart from Bose QC35/NC700 that have a different sound (neutral but also slightly artificial to me)

When the PX7s are good they are fantastic and offer a brilliant soundstage and detail. Unfortunately when they are bad they just don’t quite hit the mark. It would be awesome if they had an EQ to just reduce the bass, I am part of the Apple ecosystem and the iPhone/IPad EQ in the music app is poor. I subscribe to Apple Music but have considered moving to Spotify as there is some sort of EQ available although I find Apple Music has better quality recordings especially with their Digital Masters.

Do others agree or do you find them more well balanced than me? How do you feel the sound compares to P5s?

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #1,502 of 2,191
Biggest frustration is how different these sound depending on the song.

Perhaps related to how the PX7's FR looks with rather significant peaks and dips ?
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#1619/3992/348

I do like a fair bit of bass but not quite the amount the PX7s have. Seems like a trend with ANC phones these days apart from Bose QC35/NC700 that have a different sound (neutral but also slightly artificial to me)

Some alternatives with less bass :
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#12049/3992/1626
(Yep that includes a pair of Beats. Who would have thought :D ?)
I've read that the Dali have moderate bass as well, but I've never seen a FR graph nor even tried them.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,503 of 2,191
For fairly quiet call use (my floor is quiet, I have an office) - are these reliable enough for a few business calls a day? Coming from QC35s that are beat to death. I know the 700s are the most natural transition but looking for something a little more fun if possible.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #1,505 of 2,191
Been using the PX7 on and off since Jan this year. I have had a couple others in the mix like the M3 and Bose 700. I still prefer physical buttons over touch, that can act erratic. I had issues with my M3s in the cold weather, plus gloves are no good for touch which is why I keep going back to the PX7.

Sep 17, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #1,512 of 2,191
Great headphones, if only the proximity/wear sensor worked in practice.for me.

Like many people earlier in this thread, I'm having real issues with the sensors on these headphones. After playing music for a period of over 30 mins, the pause function simply stops working and no tweaking of the sensitivity or turning the sensor off and on again in the app restores the functionality. Powering off and on again, or reseting the headphones restores it temporarily until I play music continously again as above.

I returned my headphones for repair and B&W sent me a brand new pair (great service). Sadly, the issue remains the same, so whether it is something to do with my earshape/headshape or the firmware, the net result is I have this function turned off. I don't use these headphones with glasses, and I don't have this issue with the sensors in my Sennheiser M3s.

Happily, I'm a big fan of the fit, look and sq of the PX7s. I just wish the technology around the wear sensor, that doubtless contributes to the high cost of these headphones, worked a little better.

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #1,514 of 2,191
I hadn't considered these full size so I had posted in the portable area with basically no response

After watching that video, I was thinking about the PX7 Carbon's to replace my Bose QC25. Can anyone comment more specifically about the noise cancellation between the two? (particularly airplanes, which is really the only time when I use the QC25s today as I don't like their sound quality).

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #1,515 of 2,191
I cannot comment on the QC25, I only ever had the QC15 a long time ago, but I was not very excited about their SQ. I can compare to the Sony 1000XM2 - that series (M2/3/4) are widely considered to be the top ANC cans (beating the Bose offerings in terms of both NC and SQ)

The PX7 is a notch below the Sony in terms of NC on airplanes (I fly 3-500k miles a year, so NC is a major consideration for me), but still top shelf. When it comes to SQ, the PX7 is head and shoulders above the Sony and by extension even more of the Bose. They are simply a joy to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back