Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Jun 18, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #1,471 of 2,191
I currently own all of the top ANC headphones and the Shure A50 and the PX7’s are my favorites. I think I would give the slightest of edge to the PX7. I love the darker, warmer sound signature of the B&W a bit more than the analytical sound of the Shures. It really depends on what I am listening to tbh.
So how is Dali io6 compared to these two?

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,472 of 2,191
As an owner of the Sony 1000xM2 and the PX7 my advice would be to take whichever happens to be on special offer :) The 1000XM2 is now about half the price of either current models.

The ANC on the Sony is superb, I think better than anything else on the market. Sonically the PX7 is better. Otherwise it’s feature nitpicking, like “I can use the Sony in passive mode” vs “I can connect two devices to the PX7” (passive mode means also ability to play DSD and not using the DAC of the HP), etc

Given that both are meant to be a mobil/travel/etc headphones, don’t set your expectations too high - both are good sounding, but if SQ and critical listening is your main target, forget ANC and BT and get something superior for the same price.

Im kinda new to the whole headphone scene I just picked up a pair of px7 last week, with regards to dsd is the px7 compatible with it ?

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #1,474 of 2,191
For me, It has nothing to with tweaking or modifying. Even quality leather ear pads deteriorate after a couple of years...especially on portable headphones that are often used outside of climate controlled environments. This is also the first time that B&W did not use genuine leather. Synthetic ear pads typically don’t make it to the 2 year mark if they are used on a daily basis.

That being said, if you’d read the posts following the post that you quoted, you would have seen that B&W has confirmed that the pads are replaceable.
How about the headband is the fake leather on that more durable than the ear cups? I don’t see how you’d be able to replace the headband, or am I wrong ?

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #1,475 of 2,191
Hello, I own the Px7 for a few months now and like them. However, since I've gotten my new Win10 computer with external wifi/bluetooth antenna there is some serious interference going on and leading to frequent audio stutterings and connection problems on the PX7 and occassionally even poor wifi on the computer. Wifi is on 2.4ghz as the wifi extender in the room can't do 5ghz. There is also another Win10 laptop in the room which, when connected to the PX7, causes trouble to the computer's connection and vice versa.
Is this a known issue and is there something I can do? Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #1,476 of 2,191
Hello all. I've been watching this thread for a bit now, and want to post my own dilemma/questions/experience.

I use Beyerdynamic DT770s at home when doing music and working, but I found that I needed something with ANC since I have horribly noisy/stompy upstairs neighbours, as well as a housemate who likes to blast the TV at all hours. My apple pods were out of date, so I bit the bullet and got the Airpods Pro with ANC. While they're a definite improvement to the pods I had previously, they still didn't block out noise at home too great and I felt I needed a proper headphone.

I ordered the Bose QC35ii's which were on sale. First impressions: Super comfortable, GREAT ANC, compact and easy. However, I found the sound to be lacking, a bit stale, and most importantly of all I found the bluetooth to be a little frustrating. Constant dropouts during calls and music, misconnecting to devices, and just generally slow.

I've always been a fan/intrigued by Bowers and Wilkins as a lot of my musician friends in the UK swear by them. I always thought the originals looked cool, but then I saw they had a pair with ANC so I bought the PX7 to compare with the QC35ii. First impressions: HUGE sound, amazing soundstage, OK ANC (but not as good as Bose), but worst of all I found the fit to be very uncomfortable and the pressure to be intense. I do have a big head.

It's been a few weeks now and I'm genuinely torn on which to keep. The musician side of me says the B&W, as the sound is MUCH more exciting and in truth the comfort has gotten A LITTLE better. It still is noticeable on my head and I have to adjust it frequently for comfort, but they feel much more premium and more like something that makes sense for me to own as a musician/aspiring "audiophile". However, the comfort of the Bose is as such that I forget it's on me, and I can see how for travelling it's easier. I do realise, however, that I also already own a good pair of Beyerdynamics for music and the Airpods Pro for being out and about, so I'm trying to suss the best combo.

A part of me also considered keeping the Bose and then getting the P7W for music at home in conjunction with my Beyers, but I don't know if that's excessive.

Very very torn. Any input welcome!

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #1,477 of 2,191
Hello all. I've been watching this thread for a bit now, and want to post my own dilemma/questions/experience.

I use Beyerdynamic DT770s at home when doing music and working, but I found that I needed something with ANC since I have horribly noisy/stompy upstairs neighbours, as well as a housemate who likes to blast the TV at all hours. My apple pods were out of date, so I bit the bullet and got the Airpods Pro with ANC. While they're a definite improvement to the pods I had previously, they still didn't block out noise at home too great and I felt I needed a proper headphone.

I ordered the Bose QC35ii's which were on sale. First impressions: Super comfortable, GREAT ANC, compact and easy. However, I found the sound to be lacking, a bit stale, and most importantly of all I found the bluetooth to be a little frustrating. Constant dropouts during calls and music, misconnecting to devices, and just generally slow.

I've always been a fan/intrigued by Bowers and Wilkins as a lot of my musician friends in the UK swear by them. I always thought the originals looked cool, but then I saw they had a pair with ANC so I bought the PX7 to compare with the QC35ii. First impressions: HUGE sound, amazing soundstage, OK ANC (but not as good as Bose), but worst of all I found the fit to be very uncomfortable and the pressure to be intense. I do have a big head.

It's been a few weeks now and I'm genuinely torn on which to keep. The musician side of me says the B&W, as the sound is MUCH more exciting and in truth the comfort has gotten A LITTLE better. It still is noticeable on my head and I have to adjust it frequently for comfort, but they feel much more premium and more like something that makes sense for me to own as a musician/aspiring "audiophile". However, the comfort of the Bose is as such that I forget it's on me, and I can see how for travelling it's easier. I do realise, however, that I also already own a good pair of Beyerdynamics for music and the Airpods Pro for being out and about, so I'm trying to suss the best combo.

A part of me also considered keeping the Bose and then getting the P7W for music at home in conjunction with my Beyers, but I don't know if that's excessive.

Very very torn. Any input welcome!
I would recommend you to try the Sennheiser Momentum 3 AND the Shure AONIC 50. IMHO they are the two best pair of cans with a confidente ANC and fantastic sound.

With the last firmware update the Sennys ANC seems to be close to the Sony wh-1000xm3 and Bose N700nc, while the sound is far better and enjoyable. It has a good fit for big heads but it has to be tried: it has a protuberance in each can inner that may irritate your ears, and the sliders may cause some fit problems.

The AONIC 50 has weaker ANC, I would say their ANC is in the down side of good ANCs: a little scarce but still workable. However, the sound is superb (a little less astonishing but a little more audiophile than the Sennys) and they are very comfortable for the great majority of people.

In your case I would try the Momentum first. If they fit well to you for more than a few minutes your search will have ended. If not, try the Shure. Neither of two are perfect but for me they are the best nowadays.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #1,478 of 2,191
For PX7 owners that want good video sync via bluetooth on a Windows PC, try to find a bluetooth adapter that maxes out at Aptx or you can manually set to Aptx. Original Aptx has a pretty low latency of around 70 ms which gives you pretty good sync that doesn't distract while watching. Otherwise if you have a newer adapter that supports up to Aptx HD, PX7 will default to it and you will get around 250 ms latency which makes videos unwatchable. SBC is not much better at 220ms.

As most of you know by now, Aptx Adaptive is only backwards compatible with Aptx and Aptx HD. For whatever reason, it does not support LL. It will be a while for Aptx Adaptive controllers to hit the market so best you can do for video is Aptx.

I have an old USB dongle that is no longer made that tops out at Aptx and it works great with the PX7 and Windows 10:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAZGSXY

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #1,480 of 2,191
I would recommend you to try the Sennheiser Momentum 3 AND the Shure AONIC 50. IMHO they are the two best pair of cans with a confidente ANC and fantastic sound.

With the last firmware update the Sennys ANC seems to be close to the Sony wh-1000xm3 and Bose N700nc, while the sound is far better and enjoyable. It has a good fit for big heads but it has to be tried: it has a protuberance in each can inner that may irritate your ears, and the sliders may cause some fit problems.

The AONIC 50 has weaker ANC, I would say their ANC is in the down side of good ANCs: a little scarce but still workable. However, the sound is superb (a little less astonishing but a little more audiophile than the Sennys) and they are very comfortable for the great majority of people.

In your case I would try the Momentum first. If they fit well to you for more than a few minutes your search will have ended. If not, try the Shure. Neither of two are perfect but for me they are the best nowadays.
Agree with this 100%! I’m a musician as well. Owned both the Shure Aonic 50 and Sennheiser Momentum 3, kept the Momentum 3. I personally preferred the Sennheiser’s more exciting, modern audiophile sound. It’s bass is more enveloping and bigger, while still having excellent detail and clarity throughout its frequency range. Very big soundstage for Wireless ANC Headphones. The Shure are more analytical and transparent, but lack the oomph of the Momentum. For me personally, I just felt it wasn’t enough for certain songs. The Momentum also has a much better mic for phone calls and the better phone app for managing it’s features. Don’t get me wrong though, the Shure are amazing headphones and are definitely the better choice if you’re going to be using your ANC headphones for critical listening, it’s just not my use case for them. By the way, I also own the B&W PX7. I use it as a secondary headphone for use in the evening and traveling. With it’s studio monitor type sound it’s a great headphone for movies and fun gaming. Huge soundstage with a unique tuning that’s very different from most other wireless anc headphones, which I personally love. The Momentum 3 are my daily driver, office headphones for music, calls, movies, and occasional gaming on my Nintendo Switch if the workday is slow 😬

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,481 of 2,191
Agree with this 100%! I’m a musician as well. Owned both the Shure Aonic 50 and Sennheiser Momentum 3, kept the Momentum 3. I personally preferred the Sennheiser’s more exciting, modern audiophile sound. It’s bass is more enveloping and bigger, while still having excellent detail and clarity throughout its frequency range. Very big soundstage for Wireless ANC Headphones. The Shure are more analytical and transparent, but lack the oomph of the Momentum. For me personally, I just felt it wasn’t enough for certain songs. The Momentum also has a much better mic for phone calls and the better phone app for managing it’s features. Don’t get me wrong though, the Shure are amazing headphones and are definitely the better choice if you’re going to be using your ANC headphones for critical listening, it’s just not my use case for them. By the way, I also own the B&W PX7. I use it as a secondary headphone for use in the evening and traveling. With it’s studio monitor type sound it’s a great headphone for movies and fun gaming. Huge soundstage with a unique tuning that’s very different from most other wireless anc headphones, which I personally love. The Momentum 3 are my daily driver, office headphones for music, calls, movies, and occasional gaming on my Nintendo Switch if the workday is slow 😬

How does the earcup size compare please?

I bought the PX7 before, but didn't feel I had time to test them etc. so haven't opened them yet.

Just got the Sennheiser M3 as my Definitive Technology Symphony 1's earpads are disintegrating and it's about time I upgraded them - they're a 5 year old, now discontinued model.

Unfortunately the M3s earpads are too small for me.

I believe the PX7 has the most room?

Will just have to try them out, but these are the three headphones I've been looking at.

Will just have to put up with the lack of AptX LL support with the PX7 I think.

And shame they don't have real leather.

I guess the simple answer here is just try them out. Fit is very personal. Even with the larger earcups over previous generations, the Sennheisers simply aren't comfortable - the earpads touch my earlobes and cause burning discomfort.

Nice and plush though. And rich and warm sounding.

Aug 16, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #1,482 of 2,191
Hello PX7 users!! Any comment on the durability of this headphone after long term usage? Thank you :)

I bought the PX7 when it came out and have been using it regularly, but not daily. No signs of wear so far and no structural issues. B&W are still the benchmark for build quality.

Will just have to put up with the lack of AptX LL support with the PX7 I think.

And shame they don't have real leather.

I don't have any detectable latency with any of my devices, so I wouldn't bother.

The choice of replacing genuine leather with its artificial counterpart made of fossil fuels, is a real bummer to me. But all manufacturers are doing it and the number of people not wanting to use animal products is growing. It's also cheaper. At least B&W use good quality materials and the pads are replaceable.

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #1,483 of 2,191
Hello PX7 users!! Any comment on the durability of this headphone after long term usage? Thank you :)

I bought mine at the end of October last year, and have been using them almost daily for four to five hours a day. So far no problems with mine, the earpads and headband don´t show any signs of wear, and everything else functions like it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back